Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am a new member that is rebuilding an '81 1100 standard with my son this winter. I have Yamaha's and am not familiar with the GW's. I have been reading many of the posts regarding spongy brakes. We just finished rebuilding the MC and there is no pressure at all when we pull on the brake lever. I have tried bleeding several times but with no luck. I am going to tie the brake lever to the bars tonight to see if that will work. Any ideas.

'00 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

'04 VStar 1100

'81 GL1100 (current project)

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Use the suck it through method. Put a brake bleeder or big syringe on the bleeder valve open it and suck the brake fluid through the system..keep filling the reservoir.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi and welcome to the forum if you dont have the syringewhen bleeding make sure the bleed tube is imersed in a quanty of brake fluid so no air gets sucked back into the line

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

A MiniVac works great. Everything is sucked back through the bleeder on the caliper. Makes changing fluids quick and easy. I sucked my master cylinder dry, because I didn't keep it full. It was a snap to refill and remove all the air.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Are you talking about a syringe like a Turkey baster?

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

You can use a turkey baster by filling it with fluid, attach it to the bleeder with a hose and force fluid up through the line. Since air likes to go up hill it pushes the air out the top.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I tried the MityVac thing, didn't help my brake issue one bit. All it did was suck air through the gap in the bleeder screw.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Well, that doesn't sound like it was an equipment issue.

Provided you use the proper size hosing.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
I tried the MityVac thing, didn't help my brake issue one bit. All it did was suck air through the gap in the bleeder screw.
Many times you need to add a couple of wraps of teflon tape thread compound around the threads of the bleeder screw to keep it air tight. Be sure not to cover the fluid hole. Only the threads.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Blue1128 wrote:
Are you talking about a syringe like a Turkey baster?
Either that, or if you have a farm supply store close get a 60cc syringe, or if you know some medics at the local FD, see if they will fess up one. Most of the time they will, they don't worry about them being used for drugs......unless you have a real BAD habit!!:shock:Also see if they will give you an oxygen mask. The tubing is perfect size for the bleeder valve, as long as it is the smooth tubing and not have the ribs on the inside.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Gonna try the baster tomorrow. I see the Mrs. has one in the drawer. Won't be the first time she has found kitchen utencils in the garage. I just hope the Thanksgiving bird doesn't taste like brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Just throw a extra helping of gravy over it and you'll be fine!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Good luck with it, mine was a pain until I got the syringe and tubing:X

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

No the turkey baster won't suck, you need a syringe with a plunger you can pull out to suck the fluid through the system. I got mine free from a local vet..farm supply works too!!!

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

You might have air trapped in the mastercylinder. Try loosening the banjo bolt on the end of the mastercylinder where the hose attaches. Put a rag under the bolt to catch the fluid and gently squeeze the lever almost to the grip... but don't go all the way to the grip. Close the banjo bolt and then release the lever. Repeat several times. Many times you'll see bubbles being forced from around the banjo bolt as you squeeze the lever. Be sure to tighten the banjo bolt before you release the lever. Make sure you don't run out of fluid inside the mastercylinder.
Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.