Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Man am I pissed. I bought a brand new regulator for my bike and had less than 200 miles on it when I smelled smoke and looked down and the dang thing was melting the guts out of itself. When I installed it all was well and it was charging perfect.

It may be my fault. It was a standard off brand model that said it was for 84-85' year models I think. I just realized that the LTD's had a larger stator than the other models. Perhaps I cooked it due to over voltage from the stator?

I recently saw a link somewhere (not sure where though) of a OEM replacement for the LTD still available for sale. Anybody have a heads up on this? Also I remember seeing another type called a MOSFET style that shuts down the charging circuit automatically if overheating is detected. Anyone know any thing about that one?

Any help would be much appreciated as I have a trip coming up in a few weeks and I need to get this fixed right away.
Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/c...L-1200LTD-Limited-Edition-Regulator-Rectifier

There's the link for the Shindengen regulator. Also be careful same site lists 2 different regulators for the 85 LTD (same for the 86 SEI) it's the pricier of the 2 choices you want.
Before changing regulator have you taken care of eliminating the connectors on the 3 yellow stator wires. 1 forward of battery and 2 at regulator. Also need to check the condition of the wiring at the starter solenoid and condition of main fuse etc.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just finished ordering that very regulator. Thanks for your help! By the way I had already hardwired everything and will do the same for this one when it gets installed. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

poolguy wrote:
Man am I pissed. I bought a brand new regulator for my bike and had less than 200 miles on it when I smelled smoke and looked down and the dang thing was melting the guts out of itself. When I installed it all was well and it was charging perfect.

You're lucky!! I got about 20 miles out of the Electrix modelI bought!!!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Is this the one you mounted under the tront forks
wilf

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Darn stators and regulators are a joke!

My second stator got 3 miles before dying, and the regulator lasted about 2000 miles at most. When the third stator died I went to the alternator and have never looked back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.