Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

CANNON BALLS !!! DID YOU KNOW THIS ? It was necessary to keepa good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. Buthow to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. Thebest storage method devised was to stack them as asquare basedpyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four,resting on nine,

which rested on sixteen.Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could bestacked in a small area right next to thecannon.

There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer fromsliding/rolling from under the others. The

solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations,

called, for reasonsunknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made ofiron, the ironballs would quickly rust to it.

The solution to the rustingproblem was to make them of brass,hence, Brass Monkeys. Fewlandlubbers realize that brass contractsmuch more and muchfaster than iron when chilled. Consequently, whenthe temperaturedropped too far, the brass indentations would shrinkso much thatthe iron cannon balls would come right off themonkey.Thus, it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the ballsoff a brassmonkey. And all this time, you thought that was just a

vulgarexpression, didn't you?

Okay, okay. Ya got me. It's false. But ya gotta admit, it sounded good. :cheeky1:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Yep, first time I heard it was from an old sailor, he still say's it's true. :action::action:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

It is absolutely true in all respects except the rust. The monkey was made of brass because it doesn't spark. Iron on iron - spark, iron on brass - no spark. The cannon balls and powder would only come out of the magazines when ready to go into action. Sparks and powder don't mix. Different coefficients of expansion - Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Thanks Geordie, I knew you could always believe an old sailor. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

What about the layers of iron balls stacked on top of each other?? :stumped:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.