Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 97 Wing that I got 4 months ago, 32000 miles on it then, I've put another 5500 on it myself and I just love it.

Don't know how it took me so long to see that something is not right with my break lights. When I put on the breaks the lights come on just like they should but the row of lights on the right saddle bag goes out, I saw this when I first got the bike and thought that is real cool and I liked it.Then just today Iwas checking all my lights andon the left saddle bagsidethe lights stay on.

What is right stay on or go off, and what in theworld could bemaking this happen:baffled:.

dlprater

·
Administrator
26,010 Posts
imported post

You probably have a grounding problem with either the (brake) light or the saddlebag light or both are on the same ground circuit and the common connection is not grounded good.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

If the saddle bag light +Pos, is hooked to the brake light--Grd, that will cause your problem

·
Administrator
26,010 Posts
imported post

Nope, if the saddlebag ground is hooked to the brake light pos it will though.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OMG, Where in the heck do I start looking for something like that. Under the seat or take the saddlebag off and check there?????????

Thanks for the replys

dlprater

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
OK, lets show a little respect for old dislectics.... :dude::dude::dude:

Remove the right side cover just below the brake light. You have to slide the 2 chrome covers, one on the back and one on the side,that are on the chrome strip around the saddle bag, back or off to get at the screws. That is where the electrical connection for the brake light and most likely the side lights are.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

My 91 Goldwing had this very same problem when I got it and it turned out that the wires to the saddlebag lights were "switched" for lack of a better term.

I was able to get to mine through the trunk area. Not sure how much different the 97 is over the 91 in that sense.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
Davogd430 wrote:
OK, lets show a little respect for old dislectics.... :dude::dude::dude:

Remove the right side cover just below the brake light. You have to slide the 2 chrome covers, one on the back and one on the side,that are on the chrome strip around the saddle bag, back or off to get at the screws. That is where the electrical connection for the brake light and most likely the side lights are.
I agree..................................:X

·
Administrator
26,010 Posts
imported post

I am an old dislectic, Apparently I can't spell either. I mean no disrespect,Goldwinger I'm just an old grouch.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

my friends 1500 from the 88 had the same problem. when u pushed the brake, the right side light of the truck went off.. the problem was that the negative terminal was wired to the brake light positive

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, I got it, it's fixed, happy, thanks for replys, this site has saved me again:):D.

Took off the cover under the brake light like Goldwinger said and there was the worse case of wireing I've ever heard of. Don't know why the wires had to be spliced back but all they did was stick the wires form the saddlebag in the harness plug going to the brake and push the plug together:cheeky1: in hopes they would find the right conection:gunhead:.

Checked the other side and almost as bad, wires twisted together with elect tape on them.

I soldered the wires and used heat shrink, I feel much better now.

Thanks again

dlprater

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
I am an old dislectic, Apparently I can't spell either. I mean no disrespect,Goldwinger I'm just an old grouch.
No disrespect taken, someone has to check my work. :toast::toast:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.