Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weatherman said that it was supposed to get to 108 here in Goodyear, Arizona, but that wasn't
to be till around three to four in the afternoon. Dennis and I left my house at around 8:30 this morning to go
out for a little ride and get Breakfast. The destination was Anthem, Arizona via the combination of bypass
route 301 and back roads. Specifically route 301 to Lake Pleasant Parkway then New River Road to I-17
and south to Anthem and Denny's. Problem #1: the throttle lock kept slipping a little and needs tightening.
Problem #2: I was wearing my shorter cargo pants and the wind was blowing the heat from the head and
radiator back over my left foot. Which brings up Problem #3: I was wearing tennis shoes instead of my usual boots.
It was hot out there, and we hadn't gotten to the hot part of the day yet. Anyway we get to Denny's and get
breakfast and something to drink and then start home. Same situation, Throttle kept slipping, hot feet and legs,
but now it was blowing on my left leg also and it felt like my skin was burning. Dennis drops off at his exit off of
route 101 and I continue around to I-10 and then home to Goodyear. About 100 miles total, but I'll know better than
to wear any of my shorter pants next time, and I might invest in a pair of cowboy boots that stand taller than
the short ones that I bought for riding. I decided to try the tennis shoes as I have watched dennis ride with them
for years now and he seemed comfortable. Live and Learn I guess.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Maybe you could have wrapped your foot in a wet cloth. Would have been better than the heat. The shoes would dry off quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Actually wearing a light pair of long pants will keep you cooler. It will keep the sun from beating right on your skin. but your riding pants about 1 or 2 inched longer than your regular pants, that way when your on the bike and they ride up your legs will still be covered

·
Premium Member
55,666 Posts
Did you happen the notice the date of that first post.....

·
Premium Member
36,519 Posts
Even though it's an old post Joe gave some good advice. Since I'm not worried about falling over I've tried riding in shorts.....the heat radiating off the asphalt, plus the engine heat makes for a very hot uncomfortable ride. Long pants and ventilated shoes for me, boots only for wet roads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts