Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the proper Breakin period for an 1800 as far as speed,RPM and first oil change and is there any benefit to going straight to synthetic

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Run the breakin oil for 500 miles then change it out. I have heard there is something in it to help the breakin.
Run it through the gears, not keeping on any one RPM too long to help seat the rings between 40% and 75% of max RPMs during that time. Might want to wait on higher RPMs(above 75%) till after 1000 miles. Then ride it the way you want.

·
Premium Member
62,977 Posts
imported post

If it were me,, I'd stay off the cruise control, vary the speeds for the first couple 100 miles and drive it like I stole it.........

First oil change at 5k Delo, and there after..

Synthetic oil, only if you like spending extra money................

But again that would be me..........................

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Ride the fool out of it. Modern engines don't really have a break in period like they used to due to more precise machining methods. Honda recommends 4000 miles for the first oil change, which is fine. As for the synthetic oil ,if it suits you use it.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

There isn't really much breaking in on a GL1800. Ride it like you normally would and do the 600 mile oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I believe the normal break in period for any Goldwing is 100,000 miles.
For 'Bike and Dennis' and 'Dave0430' it's like, half a million or something...

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

+1 on ride it like you normally do. Don't baby it around and DO NOT LUG the engine. Shift it above 2500 RPM. I usually shift my 1800 about 2500 to 3500 or 4000. What you don't want is the upshift to put the engine below about 2500.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

Most new engines are pretty much ready to go when you get them. The manufacturers run them on spintrons to break them in. The best way to think about break in if you decide is to think about it as a machining procees. That is cut and lube. When you put a load against the motor that forces rings out to the cylinder walls and bearings carry extra loads. Under decel the vacuum pulls the oil up the cylinder wall and oils the ring pack and the light load lets more oil flowthrough the bearing clearance. That is why they used to say never run at steady loads. Cut then lube. Accelerate to cut decellerate to lube. Again with all that said it is not very necessary anymore as the factory like to control that by spinning the motors before delivery.

I happened across a very good article while looking for a spintron video that explains breakin better than I do. Here you go.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Tolerances are very tight on modern engines, all you got to do is change the oil at the first service. Other than that, ride it the way you normally would.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.