Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I used this on a car tire I am sure the technique will work on a motorcycle tire.

I was working in the shop today and when I came out I found the Blazer had a flat.
I checked the spare and it was also flat.
I decided to refill the tire and see if I could find the leak.
When I examined it the valve stem was cracked and leaking.

I had spare valve stems but no way to break the bead on the tire to replace the valve stem.
The guy in the next shop came over and said to set the tire under the trailer hitch and break the bead with a bottle jack.

It couldn't have worked better 10 minutes later I had a new valve stem in and the tire back on the car.

Peter

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep, I've used the same method on my truck tire except I had a mechanical 'Handy Billy' type jack. The high lift jack that also works a a fence puller. I've also used a board to break the bead on a tire, lay a piece of wood on the tire and drive up on it with the car.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
That is what I do too. I have a high lift jack for my 4X4 rig that works great. I just put two new tires on the wing this fall.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I use to use the old style bumper jacks way back when cars used them. Works good. Now either I have them changed or I do it myself either at work with a tire machine or at home I have a Harbor Freight bead breaker for my MC tires.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
My jack has a curved base to it that fits around the rim much better than that one you used.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
On my goldwing I used a large c clamp and two 2x4's too change out worn out valve stems. Work great!!!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Works great on a car tire, but motorcycle wheels are much easier to damage. After using makeshift ways for several years, I finally broke down and bought a $20 bead breaker from JC Whitney. I'm still using the same two 10" tire irons I bought over 30 years ago

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.