Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have nearly 12,000 miles on the Elites I have on my 2006 Goldwing but they'll need replacing in the spring. I'm going to put the Bridgestones, theG709 and G704 ,on. Can anyone tell me waht kind of miles they are getting from these tires?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

Everyone rides different, all road surfaces are different in different areas. So basically no matter what the brand, to that individual who used them the mileage is about the same from tire to tire. Put them all in a sack an shake them up and whichever one falls out, is about the same as the other ones. AS FAR AS MILES.

Kit
 

·
Probationary
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
imported post

griz440 wrote:
I have nearly 12,000 miles on the Elites I have on my 2006 Goldwing but they'll need replacing in the spring. I'm going to put the Bridgestones, theG709 and G704 ,on. Can anyone tell me waht kind of miles they are getting from these tires?

Thanks
I spent the best part of 3 days researching MC tires. Some reported brands with 'problems'....different sources.

The big threeseem to beE3s, Avons & Bridgestones.

I've seenmany go well past 12,000 miles, but at that mileage, you have lost many of the positive features of the original tires [thin skins lose grip, won't shed water as well, puncture easier, have weakspots from road debris/chuck holes, etc.]

We know the good, proven tires, butwhen to replace them? At 50% wear, 70%, 80%, 90%? [Ever hear that awful "POP" at 65 mph?] :shock: It's quite thought provoking.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
62,895 Posts
imported post

My riding buddy has a 08 1800.. He changed to Stones and has a little over 12k on them.. They still look real good and that's hard riding.. He likes them a lot better then the E 3s.. But like Popeye said he'll change them at about 15k regardless of what they look like.. They'll be over 1/2 gone..
He talked me into putting them on may 1500.. Had one on the rear for about 5k and I like it.. Will be changing the front from a Avon to a Stone very soon..
All of our riding is done on dry roads with rare exceptions.. So what they are like on the real wet, I don't know.........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

I have 24,000 miles on my 1800 and have just fitted my 3rd set of Bridgestones at 23,500 miles so I reckon you are talking about 12,000 miles per set. That isn't too bad considering I do a lot of riding two up with a fully laden trailer on tow. I also have found that I have a bit left on the tyres and normally change because the rear tyre has squared off too much probably due to towing the trailer weight. The 1st couple of thousand miles on new tyres are when the bike is at it's best, especially on roundabouts.

For our USA members a roundabout is a circular island at a major junction used to control the flow of traffic and great for testing tyre grip by going round and round and round it just for the fun of it. :cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've had two Bridgestones on the rear of my 1200. The first I got alot of miles out of it.

The second is needing replacing now because of a nail hole. It would still have some life in it, but has to go.

I'll order a tire today and will probably go with another of the same.

Now I know how tires are a touchy subject, but I've even considered buy one of the less expensive tires, Kendra or even Shinko. Only for the reason of price. I'm dreading the thought of buying a Bridgestone and putting it on, only to know it will be close to time to replace it just before Sept. of next year comes around. The trip to Colorado will definitely require new fronts and rear.

Who knows what the economy will bring by then.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
For our USA members a roundabout is a circular island at a major junction used to control the flow of traffic and great for testing tyre grip by going round and round and round it just for the fun of it. :cheeky1:
Roundabouts are beginning to catch on here, we actually have a couplenewly constructed onesin Kittitas County, Washington State, which is about as far from the cultural centers of Europe as the plains of the moon................:cheeky1:

I like roundabouts, me.... We first experienced them on a campervan trip to Europe in 2004. Right handy. One can go around and around and around in a roundabout, :cheeky1:, while one's partneris reading the map and trying to figure out where in the hell both of you actually are!

I think they make great sense, and do away with traffic lights, which are known to increase suicide rates in many U.S. states!

Tire life should be one of the last considerations when buying tires. On a trip to Alaska, my rear tire on my 96' Aspie was getting thin, close to the end of it's natural life. Not wanting to cough up Anchorage's exorbitant prices for new rubber.... I told Red,

"I think it will last until we get home."

Andhome we went. I forgot about therear tire and, like all of our trips, we rode faster and longer the closer we got to the old home corral....... the morning after we arrived, I was looking the bike over and decided to check the tread. I bent down to look at it.... and my heart froze in my chest! There was a strip of cordshowing, about 14" long.

Color me stupid, boys and girls, just color me stupid, and lucky......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,097 Posts
imported post

I followed a crotch rocket into town a week or so ago. He was weaving in and out of traffic, passing at every chance. From a distance I kept seeing a couple white flashes on the center of his rear tire tread. I thought he must have a brand new tire on the rear.

Even with his crazy driving I caught up with him at the first light. It wasn't a new tire, it was the chord showing in spots around the tire! :shock:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I've had two Bridgestones on the rear of my 1200. The first I got alot of miles out of it.

The second is needing replacing now because of a nail hole. It would still have some life in it, but has to go.

I'll order a tire today and will probably go with another of the same.

Now I know how tires are a touchy subject, but I've even considered buy one of the less expensive tires, Kendra or even Shinko. Only for the reason of price. I'm dreading the thought of buying a Bridgestone and putting it on, only to know it will be close to time to replace it just before Sept. of next year comes around. The trip to Colorado will definitely require new fronts and rear.

Who knows what the economy will bring by then.
Runnin shinko's to colorado and back not something I'd do....:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
112 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
My riding buddy has a 08 1800.. He changed to Stones and has a little over 12k on them.. They still look real good and that's hard riding.. He likes them a lot better then the E 3s.. But like Popeye said he'll change them at about 15k regardless of what they look like.. They'll be over 1/2 gone..
He talked me into putting them on may 1500.. Had one on the rear for about 5k and I like it.. Will be changing the front from a Avon to a Stone very soon..
All of our riding is done on dry roads with rare exceptions.. So what they are like on the real wet, I don't know.........
:gunhead:Yo! My tire guy is real averse to mixin' tire types; I'm still tryin' to sort the issue out. What say all yous? I'm on a pair of Avon Venoms but a road detour I had to use all last summer routed down a real snaky mountain chip seal. MAN! that route just devoured the front tire tread!

I had been nursing the back tire along with a tube as I had picked-up a road hazard just after getting them the previous fall. A lot of my piers think pretty highly of Avons but I've experienced two really negative control issues with them and I'd like to move on.

But I'm cussin' cause this riding season money is tight.I just want to buy one tire not two and I'd prefer to experiment with a different brand. My tire expert isn't crazy about that approach . . . sez it's a replacement Venom or two of whatever.



Please share your thoughts.

Steve
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,533 Posts
imported post

bikeknight52 wrote:
.

But I'm cussin' cause this riding season money is tight.I just want to buy one tire not two and I'd prefer to experiment with a different brand. My tire expert isn't crazy about that approach . . . sez it's a replacement Venom or two of whatever.



Please share your thoughts.

Steve
Mixing tire brands is like mixing brands of motor oil, it don't make no dang difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

As long as you stick to the bias ply tire designed for your bike, there is no concern at all as far as mixing brands. It is not at all wise to mix types, as that puts forces into play that work one against the other and at higher speeds can get pretty unsafe.

However never, ever have I known of any problems with mixing brand names. So long as type of tire is the same, all bias ply or all radial and on your bike it is only bias ply.

Kit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
imported post

griz440 wrote:
I have nearly 12,000 miles on the Elites I have on my 2006 Goldwing but they'll need replacing in the spring. I'm going to put the Bridgestones, theG709 and G704 ,on. Can anyone tell me waht kind of miles they are getting from these tires?

Thanks
I have wore out 3 set of Bridgstones on my 1800. For me, after 11 or 12 thousand miles the rear tire is used up. I'm guessing the front would go several thousand more miles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,185 Posts
imported post

Have been using Bridgstones for a good long while now and they are what Honda issue their bikes with in the UK. I always get around 12-13000 miles from the rear, nearly twice as long on the front. I often chnge my front and rear at different times.

Perfectly good in the wet, which is ofen here!!!:(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
griz440 wrote:
I have nearly 12,000 miles on the Elites I have on my 2006 Goldwing but they'll need replacing in the spring. I'm going to put the Bridgestones, theG709 and G704 ,on. Can anyone tell me waht kind of miles they are getting from these tires?

Thanks
I spent the best part of 3 days researching MC tires. Some reported brands with 'problems'....different sources.

The big threeseem to beE3s, Avons & Bridgestones.

I've seenmany go well past 12,000 miles, but at that mileage, you have lost many of the positive features of the original tires [thin skins lose grip, won't shed water as well, puncture easier, have weakspots from road debris/chuck holes, etc.]

We know the good, proven tires, butwhen to replace them? At 50% wear, 70%, 80%, 90%? [Ever hear that awful "POP" at 65 mph?] :shock: It's quite thought provoking.

i agree with you Popeye, as I replace my tires with maybe 60....70% wear.Good tires and a helmet are a must....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
62,895 Posts
imported post

I finally switch to a Stone in the front about 1k miles ago.. I can tell already I don't care for it.. Compared to the Venom I had up front, this Stone is noisy and squirrely in the ruts and rain groves, though traction in the turns is fine.. I'll go back to a Venom when it's worn out.. The venom went 12k and was shot..
I have a Stone on the rear that's fine.. But I don't like the Stone up front.. This is on how and where I ride....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,193 Posts
imported post

I had Marathon's on when I bought it, but had to replace the rear:(... I put a Kruz back there, :?I like it, but I know about as much about tires as I do about woman or automatic transmissions,:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: any body ever run either of those tires before?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
112 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Have been using Bridgstones for a good long while now and they are what Honda issue their bikes with in the UK. I always get around 12-13000 miles from the rear, nearly twice as long on the front. I often chnge my front and rear at different times.

Perfectly good in the wet, which is ofen here!!!:(
:cool:Hey Pete -> What's this I hear about no road snow removal equipment in London? That just an issue there or a U.K. wide thing?



Ride daddy Ride :action:->Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,185 Posts
imported post

bikeknight52 wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Have been using Bridgstones for a good long while now and they are what Honda issue their bikes with in the UK. I always get around 12-13000 miles from the rear, nearly twice as long on the front. I often chnge my front and rear at different times.

Perfectly good in the wet, which is ofen here!!!:(
:cool:Hey Pete -> What's this I hear about no road snow removal equipment in London? That just an issue there or a U.K. wide thing?



Ride daddy Ride :action:->Steve
Not quite sure how widespread the lack of equipment is, could certainly be more so in the South East where snow is less frequent. I asked Helen the Viking if she knew how many plows Croydon council had and as far as she is aware only two left, but she has had no notification of them going out to be used for this snow, ( she would normally get notification of them and gritting lorries going out)and I have not seen one anywhere. I have seen lots of the gritting lorries out and about, but none with plows on.

I do know that with the recent cold snap and heavy snow, there is a countrywide shortage of road salt, which is giving rise to concern.:(Like so much these days I doubt it is "home grown" so I expect they will be desperately trying to get more stocks from abroad. :gunhead:

To be fair, it may be the designs of our towns that prohibit use of plows, since most of our residential streets have parking for cars on both sides by the curb, that are full of cars 24/7, so how they would plow I am not sure. :?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top