Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK. It is time to replace both tires.

The question is which set gives me the best and most bang for my limited buck?

I ordered a set of Michelin on line last night and was informed tonight they are back ordered until the beginning of September. Is it worth the wait.

The bike is a 1993 GL 1500 that currently as Dunlops. I am not crazy about the Dunlop.

Input??????:?:?:?:?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just curious as to what 'model' of Dunlops you are currently running. :?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry, Elite III

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i have very limited experiance with tires. i did put on new gt michelin pilots on my 98 when i owned it and i loved them. when and if i ever have to replace again on 1500 will purchase the same

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

I drive a 2006 BMW M5 with Michelins Pilot Sports. They are the best tire for a Sports Car of this caliber. I have a set of Michelins on my PT Cruiser and on my Miata also.
When I need another set of tires for the Goldwing, they will be Michelin Pilot GT's. The harder I drive them the more I like them.

Michelins get my vote! They seem to be the Preferred tire on this forum for the Goldwing, and that is what really sells me!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

You will get very mixed reviews on this subject for sure, but here is my 2cents, since you asked. I had a set of E3's on my 1800. Hated them, they roared and wore funny.
I replaced with bridgestones and they were ok, but felt a little unstable in the twisties.
Since then i have went back to riding a 1500.I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Gt's from motorcyclesuperstore.com so i can't personally comment on them,except my Father in law has a set on his 1500 and he says it handles like never before. He was having problems wearing tires out because he pulls a trailer a lot and rides 2up most of the time. He has 9k miles on them 2up and several k to go. As far as Metzlers,i have never had them,but had a friend who had them on an Ultra Classic and only got 8k miles out of them(rear). Also, my dads Valk had one on it when he bought it last week and it had to be replaced. (rear)Only 9k on it and it was bald, but worn evenly!

I found the Pilot Gt's at motorcyclesuperstore.com cheaper that anywhere.
$115 front $146 rear. Free 7 day shipping. They were a little hard to find going through the tire search pages, but if you will type Pilot Gt in the main search in the upper right hand corner it will take you right to them. Hop this helps

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

My 2 cents: Run sidecar rig; tires VERY important to me. Tried Metzelers but sidewalls weaker than Avon Venoms I'm currently running. Came back to Venoms second time for this reason. OEM Dunlops[on Wing when bought used]followed road grooves so much, it gave me the willies. Only future plan[when rear Avon goes in about 12,000 mi.]is a Darkside Formoza 175/60/16 tire, which should double my rear tire wear[sidecar rig rear tires go FAST, due to crab from hauling a hack]. TTFN.....Old Tom

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

This isn't my thread, but I find this all to be great information, as I will be in the market for tires soon too - so thank you.

One question I can't really ever understand though - how come you get 40K miles on car tires (same brand, say, Michelin, but it could be any brand...) and only 9K miles on motorcycle tires... Why isn't car tire toughness technology built intomotorcycle tires?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

taines wrote:
This isn't my thread, but I find this all to be great information, as I will be in the market for tires soon too - so thank you.

One question I can't really ever understand though - how come you get 40K miles on car tires (same brand, say, Michelin, but it could be any brand...) and only 9K miles on motorcycle tires...  Why isn't car tire toughness technology built into motorcycle tires?
There are many things to consider here. First our machines are fitted with two different tires. Both are similar but the compounds are layered differently. The motorcycle footprint is a lot less than the auto in this regard so the carcase has to be built much tougher. Automobile tires fit on all four corners and are interchangeable, ours are not. There are more auto's than Wings on the road, so the tires are made cheaper (Note that cheaper tires have a lower mileage rating. The bike tires are built to a higher overal standard than the auto tires, the sidewall has to be made stiffer. Perhaps if we had radial tires and rims also they would have a better lifespan but I don't think so.

So as not to take over this thread, I see that the Mich Pilot 160/80H16 from Motorcycle Superstore is $148.99 but out of stock at the moment although Wingstuff have them for $164.99, and that's a lot cheaper than the $330.00 I was quoted here in Canada.

I see that this bunch have them too but I haven't bought from them before.
http://www.kgmotorcycletires.com/michelin_pilot_gt.htm @$154.78 inc shipping

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Americanmototire here has
MICHELIN PILOT GT 160/80HB-16 REAR for $141

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

MICHELIN PILOT GT's here too. Been running them for two years now.

Both Front and Rear and I find they are the most secure feeling tires I have run so far.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
Americanmototire here has
MICHELIN PILOT GT 160/80HB-16 REAR for $141
I believe 'American Tire' have a shipping charge which adds to the cost.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
imported post

Wingle wrote:
So as not to take over this thread, I see that the Mich Pilot 160/80H16 from Motorcycle Superstore is $148.99 but out of stock at the moment although Wingstuff have them for $164.99, and that's a lot cheaper than the $330.00 I was quoted here in Canada.

I got quoted $207 for the rear and $161 for the front in Edmonton. By the time you figure shipping, exchange and duty it's cheaper to buy locally.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

I am currently on my 2nd set of Avon Venom X tires on my '99 Gold Wing SE with good performance and wear. Got 24,000 from the 1st set with 2/32inch of tread depth left. However, they like to be pumped up, I run 45 psi front and 50 psi rear. They are a little heavier constructed tire and take the higher psi with no problems.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Michelin pilot gt

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I guess I'm going to be the odd man out on this one.I had E3's on my 1200 and then the 1500.I've since installed GT's on the 1500 and ran them for a couple of summers.I don't find that the GT's handle that much better and the biggest thing I noticed almost from the beginning is that the GT's are noisy when upright and quiet when leaned over.I would sooner have a little noise when cornering than constantly when upright.Both seem to handle well in the rain and I don't run the twisties that hard so I think I will go back to the E3's.JMHO.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

fatwing chris wrote:
I guess I'm going to be the odd man out on this one.I had E3's on my 1200 and then the 1500.I've since installed GT's on the 1500 and ran them for a couple of summers.I don't find that the GT's handle that much better and the biggest thing I noticed almost from the beginning is that the GT's are noisy when upright and quiet when leaned over.I would sooner have a little noise when cornering than constantly when upright.Both seem to handle well in the rain and I don't run the twisties that hard so I think I will go back to the E3's.JMHO.
Check your tire pressure. SHould be higher than Honda manual recommends.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Glad i read this thread cause Im fixing to be in the market for new tires. I have the Metzlers on mine now and have gotten only 8000 miles and they are wearing bad.Front is cupping bad. Ive heard Dunlop has done a lot of upgrades and their tires are better. But from what Im seeing here maybe I should go with the Michelins huh?Ill keep an eye on the thread and make a decision. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Ihave run on Dunlops for the last 8 years. The K177s gave me 15,000 on the back and 12,000 on the front. Now we can't get them in theUK any more as they have been replaced byElite 3s.

So I am now running on Metzler ME880s which I findare fantastic on grip handling and quietness. They do run on a higher pressure being 42 back and 40 front but the difference is so noticablybetter.

Just one otherpointI think worth making is when having both wheels off for the tyre change it is a good time to change all the brake pads. I know its a bit more money but you do get a great sense of satisfaction knowing everything down there has been checked and replaced and is in good working order. You almost feel your bike has got a new lease of life.

I fitted Sintered pads all round instead of Hondaand have found them to be far Superior to the Honda ones. NowI feelconfident that I have brakes that will stop me quickly and safely when needed.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Keith Davidson

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.