Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

fellas, ive been seeing cars with the bright blue tint headlamp bulbs. been trying to find these.

they are not the hid bulbs as ive been seeing these in older cars. theyre hi output halogen bulbs

i need the 9003 size

anyone have a clue?

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

If you really want the blue tinted lights there are numerous places to get them. Do a Google search for "9003 blue" and you will get a lot of hits. The really blue color may not be legal though. Here is a quote from another source dealing with this issue. This is just something to think about, you can and will do whatever you wish.

A typical automotive bulb will be about 3100K. A color temp of 8000K (Very, very blue) would be what an incandescent bulb would look like if you could heat it up to that temperature without its filament melting (happens around 3600K) To make the bulb look more "blue" (higher color temp) a lot of the light has to be filtered out.

Honestly, I think your best bet if you could afford it would be to go to HID, and to get 4100K -- which looks stark white like a typical fluorescent tube, NOT blue at all. That's where you'll get the most lumens, and the most useful output to actually see by. Higher color temps even at the same lumens won't help you see as well. 4000-5000K range does look distinctive though compared to the 3000K halogen bulbs. Especially if you're going for filtered incandescent and not HID I'd say try something in that range before going to something extremely blue -- as blue incandescent has horrible efficiency, and will be downright difficult to see by.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

As far as HID bulbs, please don't. I don't know how many times I have been blinded by cars with those things. I personally think they should be illegal. Halogen bulbs put out plenty of light. And it is in fact illegal in both the U.S. and most of Europe, to retrofit a vehicle with these things if it did not come from the factory with them.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

As a 'side' note/opinion, I am a fan of the Silverstar replacements. Very bright, available anywhere. As for any light blinding on-coming drivers, that has more to do with headlight adjustment than anything. That is one reason for the dash knob- to compensate for luggage, passenger, etc.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

mwhit1500 wrote:
I have these in mine, they are great and very bright. Super price as well.
9003 Blue/White bulb
Good luck Mike
is it a bright light, more white with a small amout of blue tint? ive seen them very bright and intense.....not dim

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I have them too, bought them on eBay for all my vehicles. Great stuff, get the 90/130W.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

personally i am in favor of HID lighting,seldom get the on coming car complaints,so i guess it either how i have them adjusted or where i ride,there is a trick to widening the beam which maybe alot of users haven't done,my choice the 5000k bulbs which in daytime appears a little blue but at night is probably 3X better than a sylvania light,and since i also run driving lights the difference between the yellowish look of the H3 bulbs and the hd light makes for better oncoming car visibility,cars get to use two headlights so why should i be penalized for riding a bike that only has one? imho

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

Hey Smart Biker,
They are the bright white with a tint of blue. I have had them in for over 2 years and no problem with them. I also put them in my uncles trike and he is also very happy with them. Can't beat the price, I have a spare set hanging in the garage. Right now i see they are on sale for $5.99.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

mwhit1500 wrote:
Hey Smart Biker,
They are the bright white with a tint of blue. I have had them in for over 2 years and no problem with them. I also put them in my uncles trike and he is also very happy with them. Can't beat the price, I have a spare set hanging in the garage. Right now i see they are on sale for $5.99.
im gonna try them, thanks

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

One thing with any bulb that is higher wattage/power draw (the Silverstars pull the same amount of power as stock 55w bulbs(or only 60w anyway)) is the effect it MIGHT have on your system. We had a Lincoln Towncar the previous owner put 100w replacement bulbs in. Admittedly it had over 200k on the car. Anyway, put the brights on and the system would shut down. Had to replace the switch because the increased power draw overheated the circuit. Anyway, I would stay away from anything that puts much more than stock draw on the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.