Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any suggestions for brighter bulbs for my Wing? Riding on badly lit country roads the stock bulbs are not great. The headlights are adjusted correctly, its the bulbs that are crap. I was looking at perhaps getting either 130/100 or 80/60 watt replacements. Will this cause battery problems?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Forget about putting 130's or 80's into the bike. They run too hot for the bulb holders and also burn out the switches for the lights (I see this every week in cars). Running a 130/90 (90 watts on dipped beam) doesn't give you almost double the light of a standard 55/60 watt bulb (55 watts on dip) that you are probably expecting. The 90 watts only throws out about 19.25% of extra light over the 55 watt bulb while still consuming the full 90 watts of power and resultant heat issues. Likewise you might expect the 130 watt high beam to throw out over double the light of the standard 60 watt filament high beam on the stock 55/60 bulb, but the most you can expect in extra light is 42% (as low as 30% in real world terms) and a full 130 watts of drain on your charging system (plus all that extra heat).

Why not buy a set of the later type (Phillips etc) extra bright bulbs. They throw out an extra 30% of light and are still only 55/60w, the same power and consumption as standard headlight bulbs. These bulbs are expensive (around €15) compared to standard bulbs but are well worth the money. Make sure to just get "clear white" ones, bulbs with paint on them (blue etc) just soak up some of the light that should be hitting those dark country roads (even though they dolook cool).

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

The Phillips bulbs are the way to go, they really do work. Thise other (130w/90w, 100w/80w etc) cause more problems than they are worth. Melted connectors and light switches, toasted stators & regulators...

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hey I have those Phillips bulbs. They really do throw out lots of extra lights and never caused me problems.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

As a new wing rider, I have many question and the first is how do you get at the bulbs to change them. There seems no way to get then lens off. Please help.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

What model Goldwing do you have Chief43?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

84 interstate. had it two weeks and just getting used to it an the right bulb beside headlight burnt out and cant seem to see how to change it.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Turn the mirrors face up and slide the rubber boots back to remove bolt under the windshield garnish.Slide a flat screwdriver under the centre of the garnish above the headlamp andpry it up and off. Now unscrew the bottom trim under the headlamp and you will see the four bolts holding in the headlamp. Take the bolts out and remove the light assembly.You can now get to the side light bulbs from the rear.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Thanks Jason I will try this tomorrow,as a newbie I have a lot to learn. This forum has helped with a few of my questions, just by reading the members questions. Once again Thanks.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
Hey I have those Phillips bulbs. They really do throw out lots of extra lights and never caused me problems.
Does anyone have the part number for these Phillips bulbs for a 1500? Do you have to do anything special to them to install? I have 1 light out and am changing both.

Do Local parts stores such as Advance Auto have them?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey Hawggy, I got mine during my "daily" trip to Canadian Tire (They have coffee waiting for me now ) , there is also Sylvannia's that are good. :dude::dude::dude:

·
1,707 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bob

But I am a bit of a ways from Can Tire. Now in Florida for the winter. Need a part number and place to get them here.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Here ya go :waving: My BIL just got to Haines City for the winter, we "might" be making a trip down, let ya know.

CTC Auto Bulbs

·
1,707 Posts
imported post

Let us Know. We are just North of Haines City in Sebring. A good ride is planned here for Feb. Check events page for Central Florida Ride.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Ok, ---- my map shows Sebring "SOUTH" of Haines City :cool::cool::waving::waving:

·
1,707 Posts
imported post

Yup..Your right...Coffee not working here this morning.

Was thinking you were going to Ft Meyers..LOL

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Better find a Timmy's :dude::dude::dude:

·
1,707 Posts
imported post

Checked with Cyclemax. They have replacement bulbs for $ 7.00 ea. but you have to buy a shim set for them..Anyone use these bulbs?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Hello Hawggy,
you could call Pair-A-Dice, motorcycle shop in Sebring and Evil will help you find what you need.

John.... down the road in Lake Placid

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.