Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased a one owner estate sale 20k mile Aspencade that looks really great.. however it hasn't run in what I'm guessing is 5 years or more. I have a fewproblems that I can use help fixing. For powerIhooked up a battery charger at 10 amps directly to the main fuse while grounding the other lead to the battery cable ground.When Ipush the starter button I hear the main fuse clicking but get no response from the starter. (Even if I bypass the main fuse and go directly to the starter nothing happens. ) But what does happen is strange. If I have the directional on ( Which doesn't work) and push the starter button with power going to the main fuse the directional switch will by itself move! going back to the center, like I completed the turn. Also I can active the starter relay by pushing the button even if the red engine stop switch is on offsetting.Lastproblem is neither rear side light works. The front, center rear,brake light and front side fairing lights work ( But don't blink) Thank you for any ideas and help. ( The motor is"free" I have fresh gas/filters and oil, The tank is 99 percent rust free and the carbs open and close without sticking.)

·
It aint rocket science
3,814 Posts
imported post

Do you have a good battery installed?

JD

·
Administrator
24,671 Posts
imported post

You are going to have to provide more than the 10 amps the charger puts out to get any reaction from the starter. The turn signal self cancel may be related to that lack of power also. The rear side lights are only turn signals and if the bulbs are bad or an electrical connection to them is bad the signals will not blink on the front either.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, I don't have a battery installed, I thought the charger at 10 amp would kick it over. The charger does go to 75 amp. I will try it Friday. If you read about a mushroom cloud of Greenwich that means I blew up both the bike and garage.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Put a battery in it
Or you'll fry it.

·
Administrator
24,671 Posts
imported post

Please don't do that without a battery, you could cause damage to several electrical parts. Use a car battery with jumper cables instead of the charger if you don't plan to buy a battery for the bike yet.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

And for sure don't use the 75 amp setting.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

What a great feeling!!, You guys were correct, with the car battery it turned over.Even the air pump works. The reason I'm feeling so good about something so simple is because the owners kids told me "Pops loved this bike, purchased it new in 1983,always took great car of it,then got sick and became to sick to ride and we didn't have the heart to sell it while he was alive" So they were going to sell it to a "parts guy for $500" when I found it. Damn after 5 plus year it turned over. Now I need to fix the directionals.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
imported post

Directional lights wouldn`t be too high on my priority list yet. Probabaly going to need carburetor work, brakes flushed out, and checked over, and new cam belts. Change anti freeze. Tires are probabaly pretty old also. Take it easy for awhile before hitting the road.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Directionals may be fixed with a cheap auto blinker unit. A couple bucks at auto parts store. I have an '80 and it only used two of the three connectors. I assume yours will be the same.

Also check the radiator fluid. A good flush soon after you get it running.

Check the brakes before you take a spin around the block.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

My Dads 82 sat for 12 years and started right up like nothing. These bikes are amazing and the engines are almost bullet proof.

Glad to see another GL getting back on the road!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

At only 20K miles probably a good bet it's still the original OLD timing belts. Unless you have proof they are new belts should be a main first thing to replace maybe.

These engines hit pistons to valves if the belts break! Not hard to change, lots of info on this site, belts at auto parts stores are cheap, from HONDA they are NOT.
The parts numbers for the belts you need are on the site. I would change those right away!

Do lots of reading up, tons of info here for everything just about.

Welcome!
Congratulations on a great find it sounds like, so take your time, change the timing belts, get a good battery.
Get her running after doing those 2 things, life may be easier and less risk of damage.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Just to let you know the bike will crank with engine turn of switch on off but it will not start... Looks like everything else was talked about on earlier post

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.