Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

Personally, I am VERY interested in hearing your story, as I have at least one GL1000 which is in need of the same treatment. Please share!! :)

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ha ha no mirror needed for fuel tank.. It is outta here... 3 gallons of rusty gello. Here is first pic of what i am starting with after pulling some panels...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Here are the carbs.. Can you say frozennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Sheesh I had to warm em up with a hair dryer to take em apart. then once I took em apart.. I wished I had not.. ewwwwwwwwwwww my nose hated me for hours....lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

copper204 wrote:
Ha ha no mirror needed for fuel tank.. It is outta here... 3 gallons of rusty gello. Here is first pic of what i am starting with after pulling some panels...
Sorry, serious question: What do you do with the stuff you drain out of the tank? Is there a place to dispose of it safely? I have a 76 GL1000 which has literally not seen the light of day for 20 years, and I am dreading finding a tank full of goo...

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
imported post

Used to have one just like it, but I sold it in `95. Had trouble keeping starter motors in it. You are a brave man copper204.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Letting fuel evaporate is exactly what I am doing with it.

As far as miles .. 84000.

Here is the cool part. I found two journals in the right fairing pocket. Previous owner documented everything from the first oil change to when he put it in shed.. cool huh?

The carbs were white and flaky inside and brown and nasty...

The fuel tank is the worst...ewwwwww

I figure it will take a couple of weeks working slowly to get her going again... Gonna mist her down with two cans of pledge and then roll her outside for a pressure washing.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Ok here are how the carbs look after tear down and cleaning with my Baking soda blaster.. New o-rings and all new parts in the carbs. I was lucky and I have like three complete Randakk sets around here... lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ok the next few photos are what I started with. the fuel tank was trashed.. But after letting it sit all day with Toilet bowl cleaner in it. It is clean. It is hard to tell in pictures but it is clean... woot woot

Picture 1 nasty and smelly

Attachments

1 - 20 of 344 Posts