101 - 120 of 344 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Tom2 wrote:
You can also just use a blaster gun like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html

The most important part is that you have a powerful air compressor. 10CFM+.
I took a different model of that type and made a blast cabinet for aluminum oxides.
Amazing what we can do with an idea and junk LOL

Take of the top tank part that holds media, install an aire fitting by somewhat force fit or get fancy and tap for it. Install short junk air hose section. Take old junk chest freezer and drill hole through the top lid or high on back to ran air hose section through then put air fitting in bottom of a large can like a coffee can.

Cut large enough hole so you can see your gun and work part and cover with plexi glass on the back side of freezer prefferably on the inside and cover with clear plastic wrap.

Cut holes for arms under plexy window, use about 6" PVC for arm holes and cut off pants legs for sleeves, wear rubber dishwashing gloves.

Run airline through a hole in the side or somewhere to connect the gun. Cut a hole for a shop vac hose and make a little metal shield so the air is drawn in from top and bottom but not direct into hose.

Fill the can full of media open freezer lid and drop in part, pop hands into gloves and blast away with shop vac running. Helps also to install a light so you can better see the work part.

Worked very well! Maybe I will try that with the Soda also. I was aluminum oxide blasting steel parts with my setup, but I think it should work well for Soda also now that I see the idea for the soda blaster.

With Oxides I could reuse them several times so I wanted a cabinet blaster to contain them, can you use soda more than once or is it use it and toss it?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well sorry for all the typos again. My eyes are bothering me and fingers not working well. I spel Batter then thot nermally. LOL

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
imported post

It was use it and lose it.. It just drifted off in the air. I am guessing in a booth type setup you could get it to last longer. A small box only cost's .70 cents.... Hal

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Hows the bike coming?

Looks like the soda did a really nice job on everything. I may give it a try on some larger parts. On small jobs like carbs a box is not so expensive but if I try to do large stuff like an engine or fork lowers etc.. it could take a bit.

Did the Soda clean up the aluminum to a kinda polished look like in the pics?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
imported post

Bike runs great.. I need to sync the carbs. The carbs looked just like you see em. the only difference is I polished up the tops of the carbs. the rest was from boiling them and compressed air and then soda blast and hot water.

Hal

It should be almost time to list her up on ebay after I do the forks and the timing belts. I dont like selling stuff that has the potential for injury or failure.. In different words. I dont sell junk.

And I would feel horrible if someone gets hurt due to my lack of repairing and or ensuring it is safe.

Hal

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

So did you end up replacing the head gasket or was it fine and just smoking do to cleaning and sea foam?

Looking forward to watching the auction and seeing more pics even though I know I can't afford this one.
Hmm, would you take may 82 1100I on trade LOL

I am waiting on belts and forks seals now. I want to ride.
Sometimes when we plan ahead it is the plan that causes problems.
Never having done forks seals I figured I might mess one up so I ordered 2 sets just in case. Shipping is 2/3 the cost of a set anyway. So I figure if I mess one up I have saved time and money ordering extras.
WRONG,
Got e-mail today, one of my items is being cross shipped so my order may be delayed 1-4 days before shipped.
All I ordered was the seals, they had 1 set in stock and now waiting on the second set LOL
Well at least it don't cost me nothing extra on shipping.
However I found my forks look like new, bushings, seals dust covers, etc. ..
The leaking fork has pits that looks like maybe a pipe vise was used and padding not good on one spot. So I probably only needed 1 seal not even a set really.
Oh well, lets hope my timing belts arrive on time anyway on Thursday.

I am glad your getting yours done better than I am getting mine done so far.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
imported post

Smoking is completely gone. Fires up and runs like a dream.. Waiting on Belts to come in from rockauto.com and then I will tackle the forks and the timing belts and put new plugs in her and flush coolant.. My brother is trying to convince me not to sell.. no luck on that.. I have too many as is..

Besides maybe I can find someone to trade me a nice Sidecar for it.... That would be COOL

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
imported post

Wow... I went to sync carbs today. Put gauges on after it was fired up. No adjustments needed. It is amazing.. It must have been synced before I got it.. But they are all perfectly balanced and synced I guess I must have down something right in a past lifetime. The idle is perfect and it throttles up like no ones business. Just need my belts to arrive. I borrowed a buddies tail pipe sniffer. It shows it in the green just a tad bit towards the lean side when all warmed up. saweeeeeeet

Hal

:hoppingmad::blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

TOILET BOWL CLEANER, HADN'T HEARD OF THAT ONE. I always used lime-a-way.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the tips copper 204
i use to play with old flat head motors and used motoroil MMO and Diesel to flush em they smoked like frieght train for awhile even after flush and new oil but they cleared up

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
imported post

I just rebuilt a willys F-head 134... such a unique engine.. Exhaust valves in block and intake valves in head... Yes they do smoke. I do not know what my brain was thinking.... Hal

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
imported post

Ok has anyone ever tried letting a wing suck up seafoam direct through the carb sync hole one carb at a time? I seen this done on a busa today was a major smoke fest....lol :clapper:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

OK, I am going back and reading the thread again.

Just bought an 86 1200, hope I can get it running.
I will blame you for my failures if I cannot get it running since you have been such an inspiration with this thread. LOL
Just joking of course.

And thanks for that link on the soda too. I use allot of that stuff for other things at times and will probably buy in bulk also if shipping is not too bad.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
imported post

I have broad shoulders BRING it....lol

I am just having fun doing this for a change. the weather is rainy this week and kinda zapping my energy.. Also my replacement belts have not arrived yet..

As soon as this one is done it is on the selling block...

Hal

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
imported post

SO the saga continues. I am trying to get the title straightened out on this bike. The original owner is trying to help. DMV in California shows he is the owner. It also shows on NON-op since september 1993. But the title is lost and DMV are being jerks.. arghhhhh

Oh well will get it figured out one way or another.

Hal aka copper204

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
imported post

WELL bad news sorta... The right head does have a blown head gasket.. It is smoking and smelling strong of anti-freeze.. so off the head will come this weekend for a new head gasket and valve stem seals... oh well.. lol

I like working on em so no biggee..

I guess I should take photos eh?

101 - 120 of 344 Posts