Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 344 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
imported post

Dang gonna have to wait till next week for the next episode in the ressurection saga... Too much going on around here this weekend... Hal aka Copper204

P.S. should I detail the head gasket and belt replacement here or start a new thread? opinions ideas?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Tom2 wrote:
You can also just use a blaster gun like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html

The most important part is that you have a powerful air compressor. 10CFM+.
I took a different model of that type and made a blast cabinet for aluminum oxides.
Amazing what we can do with an idea and junk LOL

Take of the top tank part that holds media, install an aire fitting by somewhat force fit or get fancy and tap for it. Install short junk air hose section. Take old junk chest freezer and drill hole through the top lid or high on back to ran air hose section through then put air fitting in bottom of a large can like a coffee can.

Cut large enough hole so you can see your gun and work part and cover with plexi glass on the back side of freezer prefferably on the inside and cover with clear plastic wrap.

Cut holes for arms under plexy window, use about 6" PVC for arm holes and cut off pants legs for sleeves, wear rubber dishwashing gloves.

Run airline through a hole in the side or somewhere to connect the gun. Cut a hole for a shop vac hose and make a little metal shield so the air is drawn in from top and bottom but not direct into hose.

Fill the can full of media open freezer lid and drop in part, pop hands into gloves and blast away with shop vac running. Helps also to install a light so you can better see the work part.

Worked very well! Maybe I will try that with the Soda also. I was aluminum oxide blasting steel parts with my setup, but I think it should work well for Soda also now that I see the idea for the soda blaster.

With Oxides I could reuse them several times so I wanted a cabinet blaster to contain them, can you use soda more than once or is it use it and toss it?

I have the stand up cabinet from Harbor Freight. Was only around $170something with the right combo of coupon/sale price. I figured I couldn't build it for much cheaper than that. Works great. I run glass bead in it most of the time - but I may switch to aluminum oxide when the glass bead gets too worn. I've blasted with it for months, and it still puts a shine on aluminum. Your cabinet sounds good..Had I needed to spend much more money, I would have built one as well.

I imagine you can reuse soda. I'ts probably just more difficult because its so dusty. The vacuum on my cabinet would probably just suck most of it away.

I also have the 110# pressure pot blaster from HF. I run black diamond or sand in it from time to time. Its a lot more powerful and will blast most anything clean. Good for doing stuff outside that can't fit in the cabinet, and I even run it into the cabinet sometimes.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
imported post

right side rear.. This what I usually do when I pull exhaust. I also at same time remove center stand so it can be greased up and the exhaust system just drops right out..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
imported post

Head bolts were loose on two.. When I took last head bolt loose. The head started to come off.. Not good.. Shows bad adhesion of the head gasket.. Hence the fact it was blowing coolant out exhaust as sweet smell and fogger...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
imported post

Cylinder #3 has obviously been awash in coolant? See the wetness.. Also kinda weird on the spark plug?

I do want to point out one thing.. The little object in the middle of head is the oil control.. Make sure you clean that puppy good and put a new proper sized o-ring on it..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Great posts.
DUH, now why did I not think to use jack stands under the crash bars!

My big old floor jack and board have been in my way under the bike but with front end apart I had the bike stuck on it. Since I was not taking the front bars off for anything I could have used those crash bars and got rid of the jack!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Speaking of using the crash bars now.
What do you think about making a lift sling with the nylon straps like load straps or towing straps and use an engine lift to pick up a Wing?
Could I fasten the straps to the crash bars to lift like this safely? I guess they would be strong enough?

I thought about buying a cheap HF lift later but then I think the lift itself would be in the way half the time anyway. So if I made something like a secure pipe rack to sit the bike wheels on and hold the bike securely then just use an engine lift to pickup the bike and sit it in place that might work better than a bike lift. What do ya think?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
imported post

It is hard to tell. I would not like to lift the bike that way. The jack stands are just barely lifting the back of the bike. If you look closer you will see the rear tire is JUST touching the garage floor. I could put her on the lift, but there is two bikes sitting in the back shop taking up all the room..lol

I crashed my other 1983 in a hit and run..( I was victim)

My buddy showed up as the tow truck driver was getting ready to tow it that way.. he said in some not so nice words for them to get a flat bed.

I would have kicked the tow company driver in a not so nice place if I had found they towed my bike by slinging it with the crash bars and handle bars. I was kinda out of it, since I dis-located my right hip in the crash..

P.S. on a side note.. If you are down and laying alongside the road after a crash. Due not pull out your cellphone and call your house. then try to explain to your wife you are on side of road and unable to get up... For some reason she will show up at crash scene with daughters and be in a severe state of panic.. Especially if when she gets there you have been placed on a back board and neck brace and your pants have been cut off.. Ha Ha Was funny at first...

P.S.S.

It is really not cool to have your pants cut off on January 21st when it is 29 degrees outside and the wind is blowing. I was comfortable, hurting and warm after the crash. Then my buddy Marty shows up(ambulance EMT) and cuts my pants off.. Then I was sore, hurting and strapped to a back board and freezing my arse off.. Was funny seeing all the guys I work with showing up. I do not want to repaet anytime soon.....lol

121 - 140 of 344 Posts