Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

141 - 160 of 344 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

No I would not want a bike towed in a sling like that either!
I was thinking more of lift bike and sit it on the wheels on something solid.

Well I got my 82 1100 together enough tonight to ride it again finally. Took about a 50 mile midnight ride, about what time I had the bike ready to roll LOL

I will be watching to see what your getting done and the pics and details. Great thread with lots of useful info!

When you pull the valve covers to do an adjustment, do you need to replace gaskets or such or are they re-usable?
I think I will need to adjust mine, but haven't pulled the covers and don't have any gaskets.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
imported post

Yes Gaskets aka seals are re-usable. the best way I have found to clean? Is too clean the valve color and seal aka gasket with Dawn dish soap... Dont let wife catch ya....lol wipe it down real well with rags before washing.. Hal

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
imported post

I am also going to detail how to restore the look to my bikes valve covers. The ones on the bike are yucky.. So I will do the following to them,

1. Sand em with 150 grit sand paper.
2. Buff em with 00 steel wool and polish.
3. Then buff em with 0000 steel wool.
4. Clean em up real good with soap and water.
5. spray em with two coats of clear laquer.

They will look awesome again..

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I keep Dawn around the shop, use it for allot of things!
Great stuff.

Thanks, I will probably do a couple things and ride a little to make sure I don't have a sticky valve then adjust them.
Glad to see some things are re-useable.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
imported post

Ha Ha sometimes re-usable.. Check closely.. If any signs of cracks get new ones. It blows to be on a long ride and valve cover starts leaking.. Also do not I repeat do not crank the valve cover bolts or you will have a bad day..

I rode my GL1200 today.. oh dang I love that feeling.. Tioga Pass here opens on Saturday.. woot woot direct shot to Arizona and Nevada for a nice long 400 mile ride to buddies place in Ely, Nevada and back .. I need to steal his ST1300 when he is not looking one of these days...lol

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

copper204 wrote:
I am also going to detail how to restore the look to my bikes valve covers. The ones on the bike are yucky.
FASCINATED by your posts, hope to learn more!!

If you follow this regiment for your valve covers, won't you end up with a shiny finish at the end? Were the covers shiny or flat when they came off the line? I want to return mine to their original state, and am worried I might end up with something close to "chromed" covers... :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

copper204 wrote:
It will be almost shinny but with the flat look that honda originally had. They look like NOS if you take your time... Hal
Can't wait to see your new photos, Hal, as this flat look is precisely the one I hope to replicate! Thanks again!!! :waving:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

What a really cool thread. I just sold my 1100 to Chromo and hopefully I haven't messed it up to bad for him. I cleaned my timing belt covers with progessively finer sandpaper and dawn with water to wet sand them and they look like polished aluminum not chrome.

I do have one question. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the head gasket on one side, why wouldn't you just do both? It has been my experience that as soon as you do one half of something the other half laughs mockingly at you and bam your are tearing it apart and doing it again. That's just me, but I always get good deals like that. LOL.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
.............. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the head gasket on one side, why wouldn't you just do both? ..................

Jeff
I'm with you on that one. I'd do both, as I assume that if one gave out, the 2nd is not far away. While my sleeves are rolled up, I'd rather just crank it out.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
imported post

I am gonna do both.. Just was documenting bad side first...

Oh if you knew me ... u would see I tend to have a severe case of OCD....lol drives the wife crazyyyyyy and my fellow co-workers because I swear I must sometimes have OCD and bi-polar... And I am a cop.. Can you say restrained SERIAL KILLER? Ha ha

:cheeky1::cheeky1::whip::whip::lash::lash::dance::dance::hoppingmad::hoppingmad::ssshh::ssshh::ssshh::ssshh::ssshh::ssshh::ssshh:

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

wow great story but toilet bowl cleaner new one to me and cheap to but rusteco at $125 for a tank thats a lot of hard earned cash over toilet bowl cleaner

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
What a really cool thread. I just sold my 1100 to Chromo and hopefully I haven't messed it up to bad for him. I cleaned my timing belt covers with progessively finer sandpaper and dawn with water to wet sand them and they look like polished aluminum not chrome.

I do have one question. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the head gasket on one side, why wouldn't you just do both? It has been my experience that as soon as you do one half of something the other half laughs mockingly at you and bam your are tearing it apart and doing it again. That's just me, but I always get good deals like that. LOL.

Jeff
We got the 80 1100 off the trailer today, got home safe about 2am and parked it then LOL
I like the looks of what you did with the 80. I was thinking about polishing out my 82 like that perhaps. Depends if I wants a stock look or clean polished almost chrome look.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
wow great story but toilet bowl cleaner new one to me and cheap to but rusteco at $125 for a tank thats a lot of hard earned cash over toilet bowl cleaner
That's what I was thinking also, but then person said he is still using the Rusteco after about 3 years or more and done allot of things with it. So if we can use it for nearly everything and for a really long time then it is not so bad.

I read about everything I could about it. Can use it on Chrome and painted metals fine, only takes away the rust by starving out the oxygen and is safe on about everything.
Also supposed to prep the metal ready for painting, plating, powder coating etc... and prevents further rust if parts are just stored for awhile.
Only thing is it says water soluble so if parts get wet the protective coating washes off so if storing parts make sure they stay dry.

I may get enough for a 5 gal tank when I get some money again.
I like the idea I can brush it onto a car body and then just rinse away the rust, would be great for me for old trucks with surface rust all over the hood, cab roof, etc... as well as cleaning bike chrome parts easy like the crash bars or bag racks etc... where the welds seem to get a little rust in the chrome but not all that bad if cleaned well.

A brush plating kit does work well if used correctly for touch up work if the parts do not have much damage from rust, but getting the rust off without harming the good chrome is not always that easy. I think this rusteco stuff might work good for that if the stuff works as well as claimed.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I am still here watching and reading. Going to go back over the carb stuff again, again LOL

I think I need to clean 2 sets, the 80 1100 and the 86 1200.
Soon as I can buy the kits I will try to do one of those but that will be awhile.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
imported post

carbs are just slooooooooooooowwwwwwww as you go.. Just like a paint job on a show car.. All the prep work shows up later if you short cut it...lol

And i am gonna try some of the rusteco as soon as MAMA lets me spend money again...lol

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
imported post

Ok hopefully gonna have time today to clean up work space.. Once the area around bike is clean. I will continue with the work. I am still waiting on a couple of things. IE.... swamp cooler went on fritz.....lol

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
imported post

Ok so here appears to be the offending area where coolant was leaking into cylinder. The head gasket was not attached in this area. I have no clue as to why. The previous owner never documented any head gasket replacements in his log book. So I must assume it was original. I did talk to him. He stated the right head and exhaust always smoked ? weird? there is a roughness to the #3 cylinder. I cleaned as best I could oh well.. It will be fine... Here is head picture...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
imported post

Oh yeah.. The gunk you see on the head is gasket remover. I love the stuff... It works like this:

1. Spray onto gasket and surface to be cleaned.
2. Drink two beers- or your favorite beverage..
3.. Scrape all loose material and gasket... Use your scraped at a angle to surface, not like a chisle.
4. Repeat step one
5. repeat step 2.
6. repeat step three.

then get a brillo pad attachement for drill and buff the rest of that crud away.. Then check head for flatness and clean her up and re-install.. That is after you clean short block..

This is what I use Kragens or O'Riellys

Attachments

141 - 160 of 344 Posts