Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringing back faded paint?

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Hatchetman 
#1 ·
imported post

When I bought my '89 wing and introduced myself to the forum, Rudy informed this newbie that I didn't own an Aspencade. Knowing it had the Aspencade badge on the left saddlebag, I was confused.

Rudy was right, of course....and upon closer inspection, it seems a former owner has taken parts from twobikes to made up the plastic parts for this one. It's an attractive bike, but on all the bags, the lids and bodies are different. Some have nice, shiny paint, but the others have a much more faded/dull finish.

This is probably obvious to many of you, but I'm hoping I can help this mismatch. Might there be some way to help bring the two finishes closer together, to improve the shine and color depth more on the faded, dull parts?

My guess might be rubbing compound and polish.....but I've been reading here a lot about Pledge and other cleaning methods. Any suggestions, especially tried and proven, would be most appreciated!

#2 ·
imported post

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/default.asp

this is an amazing paint restoration product. Looks & acts like a wax. But you rub this stuff on & leave it for a while before you buff it up because it actually reacts with your paint.

I polished my 20 year old bike with this stuff & it has a factory finish. Before that it was dull & regular wax would not bring the shine up.

I did 2 applications & Im good now for a year with 100% uv protection.

I paid $35 for a bottle here in Canada.

#5 ·
imported post

Hi Jon. What I used was an automotive product that came in a flat type of bottle. it is labeled "Ultra deep shine" than it sais "Ultimate polish for modern paints and dark colors".

My paint is black & this product is designed for dark colors. They have products designed for light colors as well. each one is specific to the different shades.

My bottle is 500 ml.

bar code on my bottle, 5 016366 705003.

the bottle is shaped like a mickey of whiskey, not round.

I have used cutting compounds & very expensive polishes in the past & they work fairly well but this stuff was sold to me by my local parts store & they were told about it by a local body shop that use it and nothing else.

I have used it twice on my bike & the bottle still feels full.

#7 ·
imported post

I had an old blue ford i loved, but the paint was faded blue. Some store had this 'Paint Restorer', so i tried it. It took hours to get it on, let it sit & rub it out, but it looked like a new paint job. Sure can't remember the name of it, though.

I could even wax & polish it. It's been more than 20 years, but at least I know there is stuff out there that does work.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

#8 ·
imported post

You guys are all great, and Hatchetman has probably given me the best link available. The company sells a lot of excellent products, but some seem to overlap, or had brief descriptions. Knowing now specifically what he used with such satisfaction is a great deal of help.

The company sells a paint restorer as well as several types of cleaner and shine. Many of their products do remind us that the paint surface is most durable and attractive nearest the original factory finish. The paint restorer has abrasives, which DO remove some of the top surface of paint, and should only be used as a last resort. So, I'll try what served Hatchetman so well, and if my paint is so far gone I'm not yet satisfied, will so to the restorer next, followed by coats of shine. If that doesn't work, then a new paint job she gets!

This glide brings me great satisfaction, and appearance is a great source of pride with the wing. Only the best, y'know, only the best.

Thanks again for all the trouble you went to for me, Hatchetman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.