Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are there any British Columbia members out there that have applied for and recieved collector plates for thier Goldwing mine will be eligable in 2012 and am wondering what I need to do to qualify for the plate? Thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know about B.C. but in the US thedisadvantage of a collector plate is that the use of the bike is pretty restricted when operating under collector status. I know a lot of people use them like a regular plate but there can be a fine involved for doing so if you come across a cop who catches it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Your bike has to be pretty well stock/original for it to qualify, but once/if you do qualify, there's not too much in the way of restrictions, as far as I can remember.

Dusty (formerly from Penticton)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

If you go to ICBC's website, its all outlined there.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I don't know about B.C. but in the US thedisadvantage of a collector plate is that the use of the bike is pretty restricted when operating under collector status. I know a lot of people use them like a regular plate but there can be a fine involved for doing so if you come across a cop who catches it.
Same here. I looked into it, as my m/c is 34 years old now. You can only ride it in parades and going to and from functions. I would only save a few dollars per year anyway. Every province and state is different though.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

the limitations for a collector plate here in BC are as follows,(taken from ICBC collector plate application form)

4. Vehicle Use
Once approved, a collector vehicle:
• must be used solely for pleasure purposes and must not at any time be used for driving to or from or part way to or from work or
school.
• must not be used during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise unless equipped with lamps and refl ectors
that comply with Division 4 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Washington says in their regulations "For the pleasure of others without compensation." So every time I ride it someone asks what year my Trail 90 is, (1974,)or tells me a story about the one they had years ago, I figured I'm within the regulations. It sucked to pay $58 to drive it 2-3 times a year so for an extra $35 last year I went for the collector plates.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

Insurance here in BC with a collector plate is about $220 for the year. Conciderable savings if you dont ride to or from work/school.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I have mine on a collector plate, Just filled in the form and sent off 3 pics. They do get picky if the paint isn't up to snuff though, takes about 6 weeks to process.
Cheers nessy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.