Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I now have one missing on each of the side covers and fear that if I lose one more I'll lose the cover.

Anybody of anything that will permanently, or even semi permanently reattach these things? To date I've tried JB Weld and some 2 part appoxy. Neither came even close to working. :(

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

This stuff is a little 'pricey' but it will do the job.If you have the broken peg you can re-attach it.If the peg is gone, you canmake a new one by using the Mold Block on one of the good ones and then filling it with the powder. I broke one of the 'ears' off that the rear pegs go into and re-attached it a couple of years ago. Still there and holding the side cover on.

http://plastex.us/PLASTEX/plastex_kits.html

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I use Black ABS cement. They are made of ABS plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

My technique takes a little time - but it is permanent, and holds 'em on tight.

I filled the "pockets" in the peg supports with JB Weld, after a thorough cleaning - to makethem solid lugs.

Took some 1/4-20 x 3/4" large philips head screws, chucked 'em in a 3/8" drill, andback-spun them against a fine grinding wheel to shape them. I got the heads the same O.D. as the widest spot on the OEM pegs, then tapered them to cone-like"points", and deburred them.

Drilled and tapped the "new" solid supports, set the depth via trial-and-error, and glued the steel pins in their threaded holes.

They really grab, as there is very little taper on the "release" side of the pin, and sometimes they pull the grommets out of the frame when removed - but the coverscan'tfall off. Mebbe I'll get a pic, if interested. Pretty easy to do, tho. :)

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

racingbanker16 wrote:
This stuff is a little 'pricey' but it will do the job.If you have the broken peg you can re-attach it.If the peg is gone, you canmake a new one by using the Mold Block on one of the good ones and then filling it with the powder. I broke one of the 'ears' off that the rear pegs go into and re-attached it a couple of years ago. Still there and holding the side cover on.
WHAT STUFF?
WHAT Mold Block?
WHAT the powder?

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
My technique takes a little time - but it is permanent, and holds 'em on tight.

I filled the "pockets" in the peg supports with JB Weld, after a thorough cleaning - to makethem solid lugs.

Took some 1/4-20 x 3/4" large philips head screws, chucked 'em in a 3/8" drill, andback-spun them against a fine grinding wheel to shape them. I got the heads the same O.D. as the widest spot on the OEM pegs, then tapered them to cone-like"points", and deburred them.

Drilled and tapped the "new" solid supports, set the depth via trial-and-error, and glued the steel pins in their threaded holes.

They really grab, as there is very little taper on the "release" side of the pin, and sometimes they pull the grommets out of the frame when removed - but the coverscan'tfall off. Mebbe I'll get a pic, if interested. Pretty easy to do, tho. :)
Pictures are always a BIG help, save typing a thousand words

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I have used Permatex, Perma Oxy 5min plastic weld on my side cover after it took flight and landed on the Interstate. A truck ran over it and broke it in two pieces, and broke two of the tabs.

I stole...errrrm aquired a couple of plastic things from my kids toys that was about the same size as the peg that broke off. Set it with the Perma Oxy and glued the tw halves back together. It has held very well and is strong at the glue place.

I got the stuff at advanced auto.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
imported post

something else that is incredabley strong is marine tex it is a marine epoxy that is sold in any marine supply it is super strong can also be molded toany shape. I use it on my boat it lasts forever

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

skip20 wrote:
racingbanker16 wrote:
WHAT STUFF?
WHAT Mold Block?
WHAT the powder?
Sorry, forgot to paste the link. See edited post above. It is 'Plastex'.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Here's the clickys. I had to grind off some of the P.O.s evil first. They don't look like much, but are strong as hell.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

LocTite has a new epoxy for plastic. Comes in 5 minute setupformula, and welds pretty well to a roughed up surface. I did a peg 2 years ago, and it is still holding very strong. I bought it at Home Depot. I also used it to fill a couple small holes in my cartop carrier that I built my trailer with. I added some filler so I could sand it better, and it worked great. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Gonna ponder them all. Wingnumberone, I like your way.

My peg problems began a year ago when I replaced all the grommets. I threw the old ones away and when the first peg broke, I regretted that move. I've also started spraying them with silicone before putting them back on and that helps some. But I still manged to break another tab. Seems the silicone evaporates or otherwise looses it's lubricating abilities.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Fritz_The_Cat, I just ordered all new grommets:? Now I have something new to worry about. I'll try soaking them down with armourall before first use.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Good idea. Wish I had thought of that. :(

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

If you have the broken plastic post and a soldering iron,
It can be plastic welded together. ABS rods are for sale on ebay for $15 and some welding supply stores carry them. Just
melt everything together with the iron and an some abs rod. I did mine and it seems as good as new.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Another option depending on how much of the post is still there is to screw a screw into the shaft and then form/melt, build a tab around that..much stronger and won't break off..at least where the screw is..could below it.

Note the screw head helps to form the lip.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

you can find the pegs for sale on ebay. 10.00 plus jb weld and you have a cheap fix.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

One more thing... I use a very small dab of waterproof plumbers grease on my tabs to help the tabs slip in and out with grabbing. It seems to help. You can find it at most hardware stores. Just use a little.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I do like Rudy and use just ABS Cement. It melts the existing ABS and makes a very strong bond. Trick is to use many light coats, Rather than one thick glob.

I do go one step further and cut off a finishing nail, Drill a hole into the peg and insert the nail so it goes through the broken part of post and into the base material BUT, NOT through your cover. This helps strengthen the post considerably.

Another trick I got from this forum is to steal, (AHEM... Obtain) an old butter knife.

Now bend a 90 degree bend about 1 inch from end.

This tool lets you get a straight pull on your covers.

Otherwise your trying to get your big, ham handed, fat fingers back there and putting undue side stress on these weak pegs.

Ohhh, And you guys that use silicone, WD-40 and anything slippery on your grommets. Be sure and tie the covers to your frame so they don't fly too far.

Good Trick That was, And don't ask how I know.

Good Luck Guys

Mohawk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.