Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got another job and was headed to work on my very first day. About 2 miles from home the clutch cable broke. I kept riding and managed to make it the rest of the 35 miles to work without being late. Had trouble getting it pushed off and started as it had to be done in gear. These little vt500s have a lot of compression. Not as easy as a gl 1100 , that I know and love so dearly!!
Got home that night and next morning I removed the cable housing and attached the cable to( tied it to and through the welded bracket for brake pedal adjustment bolt on the pedal) the cable to the rear foot brake pedal. I adjusted the rear drum nut to allow for clutch action in the first inch and later on brake action so it really wasn't all that much unsafe . It just took a few days to adjust to the arrangement. It worked well for a week until I got a new cable from MOTION PRO.
Just might be something you need to remember how to do in a jam. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i know when my cable broke i had a clothes hanger in the helmet box dont ask me how or why it was in there but i was sure glad to see it rigged up the metal clothes hanger to my leg and i would move my leg and i would get clutch action had to only put down the left foot at a stop suxed cuz i was on a gravel parking lot about fell over

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

I have ridden many miles without a clutch. Put it in 1st, hold the clutch lever in and start the engine or get it rolling and pop it in gear then just shift with the throttle. Down shift with the throttle to neutral when coming to a stop.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

It doesn't like being cold so I had to push it off in gear , throwing it in 2nd gear without a clutch just made the back tire slide , it wouldn't turn over unless we pushed it in 3rd . Only had to do that one night , and yes stops and starts are hard unless your rolling. I just didn't stop .
If I had thought of the cable to the rear brake pedal connection it would have been much easier. I slept on it and knowing I had to do something or screw up my new job I figured out what to do the next morning. I had a new gl 1100 cable but it wouldn't work .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.