Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:XI was changing oil for winter storage and had a dump ass attack. I've always used a rachet to remove plug but picked up a small braker bar instead, anywayI turned it the wrong waythinking why isn't it coming out. When I figured it out, the damage was done. When putting the plug back in it wouldn't tighten up and a couple piece's of the flat part from edge fell off in my hand.Any ideas how to fix it.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Take it to a radiator shop and have it welded shut. Then re-drill and re-tap to the right size.

When I first so the title for this thread, my initial reaction was..."How the heck can you break a hole?"

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Plug it with a "tinker's dam" and then drill/tap a new small drain hole beside it if you have room. Make sure to rinse crankcase well to get all shavings out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

How about a helicoil?. Pretty sure they make metric coils.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

When I first so the title for this thread, my initial reaction was..."How the heck can you break a hole?"

That's like when you break the hole in half. You have a left half and a right half, ha ha. :cooldevil: :cheeky1: It require special hole glue. :waving: :clapper:

There is a lot of meat or metal surrounding the drain plug on a 1500 block. You could get a self-tapping over-sized plug that is readily available at the auto stores and be done in 5 minutes. Or, you can drill and tap an over-sized plug or install a helicoil or keen-sert. If you can get anyone to plug weld it, the hole may need to be bevelled to get to the bottom.

When using a tap,use grease to capture the metal shaving debris.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

So far I think I like the idea of welding it shut and retapping. Helicoils or keen-serts I don't beleave would work, because of some of the flat part that the compression washer seals against, is gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.