Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I brought the bike home and connected a fresh battery up to it. I put the key in and nothing. Its not that it wont start, but there seems to be NO power going to the bike. I checked the little fuse block underneath the gas lid....but all fuses check out.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check the dogbone 30 amp fuse next to the battery near the starter solenoid, they can appear to be good but have a hairline crack in them.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ok, good news!!! I found some loose connections and I assume that's why there was no power. Now, I found a small thin wire right above the battery holder with a forked prong on it. Any idea what this may be?

Also, I got the power to run to the bike. The lights, horn, radio, turn signals, and all that function. Only issue now is that I get a "clicking noise" when I try to start the bike. It has the kickstand down. Is there a kickstand cutoff by chance?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Is there a kickstand cutoff by chance?

Not unless some one made their own.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

lol...ok, just checking.

Ok, so I know there is not only 1) starter issue but 2) connection issue. For some reason the electric is now not working. I think there is a loose connection somewhere.

I did however check the starter. With the multimeter's neg on the starter neg and pos on battery, it gets just under 12v. So I know the starter is getting power (or was at least).

I read in another post that there is a "fuse" real close to the battery? Is this that metal fuse / prong that bridges the connections in the relay? or is there some fuse somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:(Sounds like you are describing the dog bone fuse. It is a piece of crap. Replace it with an automotive 30amp and holder you can pick up at Wally World. Sounds like you may be having the infamous Goldwing starter problem. Try power straight to the starter with a jumper cable from the positive side of the battery. If it don't turn over you probably need to rebuild or replace the starter.:?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Here are some photos of what I am working with. The first is of that weird thin wire. The second is of some bridge inside the fuse (this the dogbone fuse?). The last is the relay. Could the relay itself be bad?

1) How exactly would I jump the starter with jumper cables? After I connect the - / + side of cables to battery, what next?

2) When it was putting power through, something strange would happen. It would seem that the starter would click for a bit, then go off. Then the bike would cease to have power. I would rattle the battery / relay...and it would have power again. Any ideas?

How does one replace the fuse (I cant even find it unless that metal bridge is the fuse).

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Yes that small piece of metal is what you want to replace you can take it out and replace it with a blade style fuse holder and 30 amp fuse

Gary
Also for your extra wire you will have to follow the wire to see where it goes it could be an add on accessory or it could be powering something that went dead due to a break in the original wiring

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

But here's the thing. Even with that fuse I would have to replace, it was still getting power to the rest of the bike at some point. is it possible that the relay itself is bad? If so, can I just get a new one at pepboys or Autozone or do I need to order online?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

So I went back out. here's where I am. I connected the battery and the relay again. And wouldn't ya know it, the Wing has power.

However, when I am sitting on the wing, I hold the clutch down on left, make sure engine shutoff is turned to "run", and I press the "start button". All I am getting is the clicking noise.

Battery did go down to 60% power. When I connect the - lead of my meter to the ground, and the positive to the point where cable goes into starter I get 12 or 13v. That's what I am getting regardless of where I connect the - / + leads to.

After checking everything out, and having the relay work / not work, I am thinking the relay itself may be the problem here. Is this possible? Fact is all I am getting is the clicking when I press the start button.

(Could someone tell me how to "jumpstart" the starter please?)

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

basically take a good battery and go from positive of the battery to the terminal under the plastic cap on the starter motor and from the negative of your jump battery to a good ground on your frame for a second. the foot peg bracket by the battery looks like a good ground. make sure it is in neutral.Ifthe starter doesnt turn over consider the starter motor in need of repair . JB

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The bike is / was in neutral. The solenoid clicks...but that's it. With the rest of the bike getting power (and everything from the cigarette lighter to lights working), am I wrong to assume it is either 1) starter solenoid or 2) the starter itself?

I tried jumping it with the motorcycle battery itself. The battery does have juice, but I got "no reaction" from the starter.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem (no responce from the starter) the clicking you hear is probably the solanoid. I had to replace my starter as inside was fried. Bought one from EMS and the 1st two were bad but the last one they sent worked and has been working now for awhile. There is a lot of information on this subject here on the forum.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am in process of removing my starter. I am removing the exhaust system completely. Once off replacing it will be "easy". I am going to replace the starter AND the starter relay. I want a new / fresh system starting my bike. Going to check local yards for a solenoid before ordering online. Are there any other starters (aside form a gl1100 specific) compatible with a 1983 GOldwing INterstae ?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

you dont have to take off the exhaust unless you want to. jb

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

For me it makes it 100% easier...lol And it gives me a excuse to work on bike...:) Either way when I replace starter and relay it'll be a lot more dependable.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my Wing when I got it. The solenoid was the problem.

:(

You can order the solenoid from one of the online OEM parts dealers or get one on eBay. I have purchased most of the parts I needed for my 81 GL1100 rebuild from eBay.

;)

As always you must be careful and only deal with respected dealers with long experience ratings.

:action:

Ride Safe and WELCOME to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

I have never worked on an 1100 but the starter circuit should be the same as all bikes.

The little button you press on the handle bars cannot take all the power that the starter motor needs. This button operates a solenoid. A solenoid is similar to a relay, a small wire is used to operate it and this comes from your starter button.

The solenoid will have 2 big wires on it, one goes to the battery the other goes to the starter motor, the little wire going to the solenoid powers the contacts and lets the two big wires connect inside, this put power onto the starter motor.

At the moment you dont know whether its the solenoid or the starter motor. On the back of the start motor there should be a thick wire. If you connect a jump lead from the positive of the battery direct to the big wire connector on the starter motor, the motor should turn. If it does then the starter motor is okay and the solenoid is probalby bust. This is probably whats wrong. If the motor does not turn then its the starter motor. This assumes you have a fully powered up battery.

The small wire you have mentioned is an accesory wire, ie additional lights etc. You would have to trace the wire to find out what it does.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Great news everyone. I found out the problem. Turns out the starter itself is toast. I tested another starter and it "ran". However, when I hooked up the Wings starter...nothing.

Tomorrow I am gonna call around (and go to local yards) to see about a new starter. If I can't find one there, I am gonna order on Ebay. Combined with my new starter relay I a gonna be cruising soon!!!

Thank you everyone for your help!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.