Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I brought home another GL1200. Saved from being a Bobber!! Figured I would bring back to his former glory, and maybe get my oldest boy off his "I want a Harley" idea. If not then I'll have 2 85's. This one has 28,000 miles versus mine with 45,000. It will be ready in plenty of time for riding season. Hoping the snow will finally melt a bit more off the streets shaded by buildings.

Attachments

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
Looks like a nice one and you saved it from a butchering and someone turning it into worthless junk. All Goldwings deserve to live on.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going through all the found paperwork found the original sales receipt, as well as the license plate from 2002 last time it was ridden. He bought it in 1985, and it wasnt ridden much then in 2018 to his son. Now to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Good luck with the project. I too love saving old motorcycles, I just started yesterday on my project 1984 1200 STD. I have had it for couple of months, but just now I have some free time to work on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I started laying parts out to see if anything was missing which I must say If there is I didnt notice. I started getting the carbs ready to install and pulled a ROOKIE mistake and dropped a intake bolt washer down the head! Yes the valve was open so to the cylinder it went. I pondered for a while and decided to try air since all my magnets were to big for the spark plug hole or Valve opening. dropped my best magnet in the intake opening on the head and put some vacuum tubing on my air nozzle. Am glad to say I now have the washer!! I have a day off tomorrow from Physical therapy so Im getting up early and going to do the carb install, and they look super I must say. They were suppose to be rebuilt and I would say they have been. Also found a new air cleaner with oil filter and plugs all still in there boxes. As well as a Owners manual, a Honda Road atlas with a Maintenance check guide really old stuff probably got it with the bike. Also found the cover for it says Goldwing. So needless to say Im really happy so far.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the carbs in after fighting what was suppose to be Goldwing Intake O-rings for 3 hours. Got them a hooked up and low and behold after starting it one is overflowing so I bet its a float and wont correct itself i even gave them a few love taps to see if it would seat, and no dice! I at least got to start it up, and now know for sure they need synced which i will do after I fix the flooding issue. Shop is still a bit chilly but was high 40s today so the Jet heater kept it warm. Seen snowflakes as I went inside sure hope it didnt keep snowing! Will get back on it after I see one of my doctors tomorrow. The life of getting old.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, dont think it would ever seat. There wasnt one!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So finished it today, took it for a spin ran good for sitting 11 yrs. Gave to my oldest boy, for a early Bday present. Needless to say he is overjoyed, I must say I am too!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts