Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Checking the bike this morning, I found a small amount of brown goo in my coolant resivor tank. Some of it is above the water line, some just hanging around in the tank. Is this going to be oil?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Thast what it sounds like. Check the search bar. This topic has many threads on it .

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I would think that this is probably motor oil. Which, in all likely hood means that you have a bad head gasket. It could be just crud in the cooling system. Have you flushed you cooling system lately?

A few quick questions:

a) Does you bike smoke at all?

b) If so, even after it warms up?

c) If so, what color is the smoke - a blue tinge or white?

d) If so, what side?

You have a VERY easy bike to work on and head gaskets are relatively inexpensive.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hi,

I would think that this is probably motor oil. Which, in all likely hood means that you have a bad head gasket. It could be just crud in the cooling system. Have you flushed you cooling system lately?

A few quick questions:

a) Does you bike smoke at all?

b) If so, even after it warms up?

c) If so, what color is the smoke - a blue tinge or white?

d) If so, what side?

You have a VERY easy bike to work on and head gaskets are relatively inexpensive.

Tim.
Yes, it smoked when I bought it, but after my "smokin" thread, we all decided it was a carb problem. And 2 seafoam treatments later, it quit. A few days ago it started sputtering at low rpm's, so one of the great guy's here suggested I change the fuel filter. That stopped the sputtering, the bike ran smoother than ever. However, today I started it, and it backfired a little, when I went to check the flum to see if my floats were stuck again is when I saw the brown in the resivor tank.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Also, I didnt flush the cooling system, but did drain it and fill it with new fluid, I wasnt sure what had been put in there previously

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Well, at least you had good clean coolant in the bike wich negated the crud-in-the-system theory.

a) Can you see bubbles in the coolant reservoir tank while idling?
b) Is the coolant low?
c) Have you changed the engine oil lately and if so has their been a “Milky” component to/in it?

I am no expert here by a long shot but I am sure that someone will be by soon that is.

Anyone else think this might be a head gasket?

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

You stated that you changed the coolant. What was the condition of the coolant? simiar to the condition you now notice?

Run a compression check to eliminate the head gasket. I doubt that is what it is but possible.

How does your oil appear? Any antifreeze in the oil yet?

When was the last time the waterpump was out? Check the waterpump weep hole with a clean Q-Tip. Wiggle around way up inside. Is there oil on the Q-Tip?

My guess is that the O-ring that goes around the water pump is leaking. Several times I have seen what you describe be attributed to pinched, torn, and or cracked O-rings around the waterpump.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm,

Totally forgot about the water pump seal...:cooler:

I need a vacation.... I NEED to get rid of this snow and ice and get back on my bike!!

Sorry about that!!

I would like to change my mind about the possible fix if I could please... :blushing:

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK thanks, I will try that.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Also do a plug check. Some times if the head gasket is leaking the plug on that cylinder will be really clean and smell like afreeze. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok, assuming the weep hole is the ONLY hole I could find around the water pump (on the bottom of the cover), there is oil in it:D

Next I will check the plugs

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

If you found oil then you need to replace the O-rings......

Possibly the water pump. You wont know for sure until you pull the pump and check the play in the impellor shaft. It is a relatively simple job.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Question, can water get into the crakcase through the water pump? I have a problem with my oil level increasing and coolant disappearing, but I haven't added any oil since the change, and put some in a clear container and it does look as if there is water in it. The water never really separates out, but it is brown The bike runs really well, but I have shut her down until I can get this sorted out. The oil also smells a lot like fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

If your oil smells like fuel you might have a carb flooding problem and not a coolant problem. Easy to check. Remove the air filter and start it up on the center stand and watch inside the intake plenum. The floor in there should be clean and dry. I would let it run for a good 10 minutes and make sure you do not have any fuel in the plenum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.