Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Is that the Mackinaw bridge? Can't say I'd be too keen on driving on the grating. I'm darned scared of heights - would freak me out looking down... bad enough looking right over the guard rail!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah i went across a grated bridge didnt even realize it was a grated bridge ahead i just kept doin 60mph and hit the grates and the bike started dancing... scared the bejeuzuz outta me

i had to scrape out the drawers on the other side tho but i have to admit i want to go to mackinack island someday and just travel over the bridge either in the car or on the bike i dont really care either way is just as good for me

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes that is the Mackinac bridge. you will not be able to look down. it was a handful pulling a trailer and the wind blows really hard at the top. I will not be riding the grate on that bridge again

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

lol daryl i agree i talked to my dad about a trip like this a few years back to take the ferry ride across the lake superior or what ever lake is up there its a "idea" were kickin around

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

I dis-like those grates with a passion.
Is one lane grated and the other solid all the way across like it appears in the picture? If so I think I'd definitely spend my time in the solid lane.
That is a great picture.
As to picture posting, one easy way is to set up a free account with one of the photo sharing sites, such as photo bucket and then just post a link to them. Lot's of others as well, but I'm used to that one.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

We ride around lake Michigan and Lake Superior at the same time every memorial day-5 day trip. Awesome ride. Riding the Mackinaw bridge and the international bridge are high points to me. It's a little scary but way cool. Crossed that bridge 4 times last year. Once at night and it was awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I think I'd prefer a ferry across! For some reason them I prefer any day over a tall bridge.
There is a ferry that goes from Mackinaw City to Mackinaw Island then on to St. Ignace. Trouble is, it's passengers only, no motor vehicles. You can hire someone to ride your bike over the bridge for you while you enjoy the ferry and maybe a stay on the island.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I think I could push myself to ride across... but I wouldn't like it! If I was to take a ferry, I'd want to be with my bike. When I travel, I'm very leery of letting my bike out of my sight... Doing a trip out that way is on my bucket list... just the bridge isn't part of the reason to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

A woman in a small car blew off of that bridge a few years ago.

I crossed it on a Norton.

Great fun.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Just to clarify a couple previous posts, the Mackinaw Bridge is grated in the passing lanes only at the at the points between the two towers. So you don't have to worry about the inside lanes being grated the entire length of the bridge.
A few years ago, a small car did indeed go over the side of the bridge however, it was due to excessive speed, plus weaving between cars when it lost control and crashed through the guard rail. The car was a Yugo. True story.
I grew up in St.Ignace, first town on north end of bridge and have crossed this many times; driving on the grating will get your attention but isn't too bad.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nice shot of the bridge. :cooler:

The "Mak" looks worse than what it is. When I rode over it this summer, the two paved sections were closed off for 'repair', so everyone had to use the grated section. Riding the grated section is not much different than riding in the wind ...... the bike will move around on you some, but no corrections(or white knuckling)are needed ..... just relax and enjoy the view .... both over the sides and through the grating. :action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

I too have noticed when riding over grated bridges, just loosening up on the handlebars to allow the front tire to find its' way, works much better than "white knuckles" and rigid fore arms.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Ummm the winds of November blow pretty strong but I think it's not likely to occur to a motorcycle. Also believe guard rail is taller and now curves inward.
The following is from wikipedia so it has to be true:)...
"Two vehicles have fallen off the bridge.
On September 22, 1989, Leslie Ann Pluhar died when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36 inches (91 cm) high railing. A combination of high winds and excessive speed was initially blamed.[16] Later investigation showed the driver had stopped her car over the open steel grating on the bridge's span. A gust of wind through the grating blew her vehicle off the bridge.[17]
On March 2, 1997, a 1996 Ford Bronco went over the edge. It was later determined to be a suicide by driver Richard Alan Daraban.[18]

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The grateing is usually not bad, just a lttle wiggle, but with a strong gusting wind and and the wiggle, it is something I would try to avoid if possible

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

No guts........No Glory!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.