Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, Ok I can look over the shield by about an inch in the top position and I get the shakes from the buffeting. Here is what I have tried:

1. clamped on an extention of acrilic, still buffeting and it is to high to see well out of, moved it up and down, put a bow in it to bring the air up and over, still ont good and I dont want to look throught the windshild

2. Has any one tried a different windshild like a wrap around or a Slipstreamer or a add on plastic ??

3. Has any on put a vent hole in the front to get rid of the back pressure. that is the cause of 90%

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Martin Fischer wrote:
Hi, Ok I can look over the shield by about an inch in the top position and I get the shakes from the buffeting. Here is what I have tried:

1. clamped on an extention of acrilic, still buffeting and it is to high to see well out of, moved it up and down, put a bow in it to bring the air up and over, still ont good and I dont want to look throught the windshild

2. Has any one tried a different windshild like a wrap around or a Slipstreamer or a add on plastic ??

3. Has any on put a vent hole in the front to get rid of the back pressure. that is the cause of 90%
#3 is your most effective answer. Most of us who use them order the windshields with the vent holes already in them.

Another great help is the hand wings that attach to the bottoms of the mirrors.

I have a Tulsa windshield and I added an air dam trim to the edges to blast the air away from center and to catch water as it runs up the windshield during rainstorms.

When you have the windshield vent you can really feel the difference in air path when you open it and close it.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I have the Laminar Lip and it works fine when you are travelling at speed but you will have two screens to look through. The lip is attached with velcro tabs attached to each side of your shield, about 4 or 5, one inch diameter black circles each side and it is the width of your screen and about 5 or 6" tall.
Now I fitted this last year when I went down to California with my wife. She had complained of buffeting before I fitted the lip but after I had fitted it the wind rose up above us and there was less of a problem except in heavy rain and then it was a bit of a pain. But it was torrential rain, so bad we were soaked within minutes of starting off so I couldn't really say it was the lip's fault.
At lower speeds the lip's advantage is less noticeable. You can move it up or down if you fit the Velcro tabs at equal distance to each other so that they line up when you move the lip. It was interesting watching bugs though especially at speed as you could see that the lip was working as they would just shoot up between the two screens and vanish straight up.
Is it worth it in the long run, I don't know, it costs nearly as much as a full size screen although if you want the vent that adds about another 50 bucks more. Then it is down to choosing what shield tall, wide make etc.
I fitted a vent a few weeks ago but haven't tried it out yet as my back is shot, can't stand, sit, walk, sleep or ride, dammit!
Here is the vent, http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/286
I put the template on my shield after measuring it many times and then drilled the four corner holes. After fitting the template I copied the cutout on the backside with a sharpie. I almost completely covered the curved side of the screen with masking tape, to avoid getting it scratched by the foot of the jigsaw before cutting out the hole. I cut the hole smaller than the size and then filed and dremmeled it out while testing the fit until it popped right in making sure I had decent radii at the corners and filed the edges round.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Martin

I have an 1800 so I don't know if this is relevant to your model. The buffeting drove me nuts so after three different winshields I finally cured it. I bought one of those huge shields that is swept back, initially I didn't like it because there was very little fresh air behind it. Ultimatly I cut 3.5 inches off the top so I see over it, fresh air returned and buffeting stopped. I believe the swept back feature made the shield more streamlined and drastically reduced buffeting. Now I need to go over 85mph to feel any buffeting. This may or may not work for you but it works great on an 1800.

Good luck Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.