Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

What IF someone or a group of people were to build an entirely
new Wing (not Honda) here in America, would you buy it?
We'd incorporate all the "legitimate ideas" we've discussed in these forms.

As this issue grows re-read this and you'll begin to understand the simplicity of this idea. PLEASE don't jump to conclusions, or state snyde remarks... simply, ask.

I'm not trying to restart a new discussion on old subjects.

I'd like to see 2 or possibly 3 different Wing sizes and keep said bikes for decades. This would keep parts stock to aminimumdue to same partscross-fitting, especially internal motor parts. The variable of 1-2-4 carbs or fuel injection to suit the owners tastes, again all interchangeable with minor internal variables.As years go by when new innovations occur, said new parts could be backwards compatible, within reason.

The following list of 3 bike sizes,all pistons,con-rods would bethe same part. Maybe said 3 bike sets could be in the CC range of,...
500 (2cyl.) 1000 (4cyl.) 1500 (6cyl.)or...
600 (2cyl.) 1200 (4cyl.) 1800 (6cyl.)
Does anyone really NEED more than 1800cc's on a motorcycle?My '91 1500-I pulled 1200 LBS., the GL-1800 be bonustorque.

I'd like to see this happen since Harley, Indian, Victory etc. don't want to touch anything other than V twin power.

I'm not interested in a bike that has propriatory parts, that begets distain from customers, UNLESS said parts are reasonably priced.

And this will never, everhappen,... http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum8/72042.html

[[ Since few have posted, so-far, I'll update my scenario here. Keeps the basic post informative andin one place. It's rough searching for new info in several pages of text.]]

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Two words. Quality Price If those are both present I see no problem with buying that bike.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I would buy one. Themembers on this site could build them, I have no doubt

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Do you think Honda would have any patents on parts or design that could stop you. I couldn't see them stopping you if you built it in you garage, but to start a company and mass produce them???? If you bought all Honda parts it would still be a Japanese bike and the parts would cost you triple the value of the bike.

How much would the people building the bike want to be paid? Who foots the bill for the factory building? Great idea though to help create American jobs though, no matter where the parts come from.

Honda of Marysville had it all, the factory, skilled labor making a fair wage, parts at hand, I still can't figure why they left.

Members on this site live all across the world, are they gonna move to Hondaville to live, work and raise their familiesand retire. Now that sounds like a plan we can love.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Predator wrote:
Do you think Honda would have any patents on parts or design that could stop you. I couldn't see them stopping you if you built it in you garage, but to start a company and mass produce them???? If you bought all Honda parts it would still be a Japanese bike and the parts would cost you triple the value of the bike.

How much would the people building the bike want to be paid? Who foots the bill for the factory building? Great idea though to help create American jobs though, no matter where the parts come from.

Honda of Marysville had it all, the factory, skilled labor making a fair wage, parts at hand, I still can't figure why they left.

Members on this site live all across the world, are they gonna move to Hondaville to live, work and raise their familiesand retire. Now that sounds like a plan we can love.

Al
Thanks Al but... I'm not talking about patents, patentsprotect from stealing.

My thoughts are NOT about infringing on patents, they are about building an American Wing. If parts are similar then so be it. A tire is round, round is not patented. Alternators charge batteries, alternators are not patented, BUT certainparts within them are, those I don't touch.If patents were such a huge problem, Victory motorcycle could never be. So let's get onto my original question, symantecs over patents is not the issue.

Your last paragraph though I have already giv'n a lot of thought over the decades, just not about motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

Awesome concept, but I'm guessing that the startup costs would be astronomically prohibitive.

That said, if the quality and looks were there, I'd buy one.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

OK, put me down for a worker :) And youand I arent the only ones who have thought about 'Honville' or whatever. But at least we'd all have one thing in common.....

Love the idea, get to work on the details, Al

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Add me as a worker two, I would love a stay at home job, especially building a new motorcycle :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Hire me:waving:Hire me:waving:Hire me:waving:Hire me:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Can't hire anyone till I get hired.

The point of my "IF" is to gather a nominal amount interest "IF" building an American Wing is possible. I know it is andcan happen"IF" the right circumstances are in place first.

1.) The thought/dream.
2.) Knowledge.
3.) Business plan.
4.)Backing. (now where DID iput that B. Gates check)
5.) Execution/implementation.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

mrbigrick wrote:
My question is why are goldwings being sold at much lower prices than same yr you know what's!...?
Unfortunately, it's because the You-know-whats are far more popular and desirable. For better or for worse, it's sad but true.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

I suspect building the bike would be the easy part; establishing a nationwide support network would be the uphill side. Victory has been around 10 years and they're still few and far between.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Dreams are what has built countries. Why not.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

I'm getting a small (very small) turnout on this idea. Makes me wonder if Americans really care if American companies survive... inAmerica.

My goals are many, this idea is one of those many, BUT within this forum it's primary.

I would like to see a touring bike made for Americans by Americans in the American flavor but if it's just plain ol easier to lay back & buy foreign, then "I AM" wasting my time & efforts.

We're (99.33%) all in dire needs, economically speaking, but even the depression of the 1930's there was progress.

Don't get me wrong about worldtrade & world business,we've discussed this way back in high school (1970) that America should be the first world leader in world trade.Somehow those few people didn't listen.

EH, what you tink?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

FVM wrote:
I'm getting a small (very small) turnout on this idea. Makes me wonder if Americans really care if American companies survive... inAmerica.

My goals are many, this idea is one of those many, BUT within this forum it's primary.

I would like to see a touring bike made for Americans by Americans in the American flavor but if it's just plain ol easier to lay back & buy foreign, then "I AM" wasting my time & efforts.

We're (99.33%) all in dire needs, economically speaking, but even the depression of the 1930's there was progress.

Don't get me wrong about worldtrade & world business,we've discussed this way back in high school (1970) that America should be the first world leader in world trade.Somehow those few people didn't listen.

EH, what you tink?
Personally, I think you're wasting your time. In reality, the startup, EPA certification, Union personnel, etc, etc, etc would be cost prohibitive. It's a great philosophical concept, but that's all.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

First offNAME the 'AMERICAN' businesses...........I'm talking about truly 'ALL' American.

American work ethic has only gone downhill because of Americans don't want to hear about therm 'starting at the bottom and working to the top'....but you know as well as I do what the problems are.

One highlight I've had in my life was going to a city along the Ohio river that is the 'marble' capitol of the world. All American....totally amazing, the people, the atmosphere, the community was into being the 'marble capitol' of the world, everything is mined and manufactured there.

Go there and find out how true american spirit still exists.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

"American work ethic has only gone downhill because of Americans don't want to hear about therm 'starting at the bottom and working to the top... "

I know the feeling. At 56 I've had many job positions where I started at the bottom. Biggest problem is once "EQUALITY" took hold ALL quality went downhill. My work ethics will nothire the lazy or "unwilling to learn".

I work for the company, not a union. A union has no place in my business. In my past 3 out of 4unions got fired, LOL so I don't need them.

I've been in & seen plenty of ALL American businesses... been there, done that.

I sure hope this clarifies a few things.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

If price, quality, and availability proved favorable, I would by one in a heartbeat. Like others have said though, start up costs would be HUGE.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.