Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While out riding today I was noticing that the 1500 has a kind of gear indicator. Top gear (if your OD light is out) is the only gear that the speedometer needle will be higher on it's scale than the tach. In 4th the two needles are almost parallel to each other. If the tach is higher on it'sscale than the speedo you are in 3rd or lower. Useless info perhaps but works for me until I get around to replacing that OD bulb.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Not useless info!

I try to keep in mind approximate tach+gear=speed, for the more common speeds like 25, 35, 55 and 70 in case my speedometer goes out. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if you know what your tach reads at 70MPH in overdrive? If you don't know off hand, don't worry about going out to do a test or anything! It's not important. I guess I'm just wondering if they put taller gears in the bigger bikes. My 83 GL1100 Aspencade is right at 3700rpm.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Not useless info!

I try to keep in mind approximate tach+gear=speed, for the more common speeds like 25, 35, 55 and 70 in case my speedometer goes out. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if you know what your tach reads at 70MPH in overdrive? If you don't know off hand, don't worry about going out to do a test or anything! It's not important. I guess I'm just wondering if they put taller gears in the bigger bikes. My 83 GL1100 Aspencade is right at 3700rpm.

Thanks,

Bob
I don't remember what it is at 70 but at 65 it's right at 3100. It would make sense with the larger engine and a little more torque available to go to a bit higher gearing.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

3250 or so on my Limited for 70 MPH in OD.

:12ltd:

Marty :cool:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Regardless if it's a 1975 or a 2005, they still need a 6th gear. I'm always looking for one more shift. Even the larger engines are too busy at real highway speeds. HONDA are you listening?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Rich Steinel wrote:
Regardless if it's a 1975 or a 2005, they still need a 6th gear. I'm always looking for one more shift. Even the larger engines are too busy at real highway speeds. HONDA are you listening?
I think Honda got it right, 3200-3400 really isn't all that fast turning, my old 1957 MGA turned 3600 at 60mph, my daughters 1985 Jetta turned 3700 at 70mph. These are short stroke engines so piston speed in the cylinder is relatively low and with six pistons for 1500 or 1800 cc makes for low piston and rod mass. Both of these factors relate to low stress and wear. A higher gear at highway speeds would also increase cylinder pressures which tends to creat higher temps and more valve erosion. Add to the fact that I don't think there are many better engine engineers on the planet than work for MotherHonda, I think they got it very right!

:clapper::clapper::15red::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

I've seen different 4th and 5th gears that can be fitted for changing the gearing but I'm sure the fitting cost would be prohibitive..!

Mine sits at 80mph @ 3500rpm and given a choice I'd like 3000rpm to be 80mph to improve fuel economy. I've never had 200 miles from a tank and I've sat on the motorway with cruise control on willing it to go a bit further :(

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Rich Steinel wrote:
Hey Rich Steinel :waving: Ok i will pass on your observations to the appropriate authority. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

The old cage that i drive has a six speed gearbox, :stumped:is a1.8 Kompressor and when travelling at 60mph the rev.counter reads 1900. :clapper: When travelling at 60mph on my neighbours:18red: which is 1.8i the rev.counter reads 3000 :crying:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
The old cage that i drive has a six speed gearbox, :stumped:is a1.8 Kompressor and when travelling at 60mph the rev.counter reads 1900. :clapper: When travelling at 60mph on my neighbours:18red: which is 1.8i the rev.counter reads 3000 :crying:
Pull the two engines out and weigh them. The Supercharged mill will be a lot heavier with a much more robust lower end, more skookum pistons and rods, etc. It's designed to have higher piston loading. The Wing's mill is designed to spin fast with light loading which enables a lighter smaller engine. You have to get rid of a lot more head on average with the supercharger.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Thats that question answered. :clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Thats that question answered.
Actually it really isn't, but the question is more of an apples and oranges comparison. But it is interesting that the mass of an internal combustion engine generally is inverse to the design operational RPM. Model airplane piston engines turn up 25,000-30,000 rpm while big marine diesels often turn less than 400 rpm.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Ok im not a "Guru" i dont understand all that tech stuff. :stumped:I will just take your word for it. :crying:

:skipping: :18red: :skipping:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Ok im not a "Guru" i dont understand all that tech stuff. :stumped:I will just take your word for it. :crying:
As they say, if you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance, baffle 'em with your Bulls$$t!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.