Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MOM JEAN'S BIKE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there, I'm trying to put better lighting on my ol'wing with regards to brightness and wattage usage. I understand that LED's use less watts but are they really much brighter than OEM and what about the Halogen bulbs again I understand that these bulbs are brighter then OEM but will they "kill" my stator? Any info would be appreciated. Are there some other lighting ideas out there? Thanks. DKDC12

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

Hello,

well the standard headlight bulb 60/55 watt H4 is halogen anyway I think, somebody better than me might like to verify that.

LED's definitely use less wattage to produce a pretty bright light, although not sure really for headlight use.

I recently installed extra forward lighting, with a view of being seen, brought running lights that came with 50watt bulbs, I replaced these with LED's that produce equivalent lighting 25watt bulb, but only use 3.5 watts to do it. they can seen in daylight, at about 300 yards.

helps to use relays if adding extra lighting etc to a 1200.

good luck,

·
MOM JEAN'S BIKE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks olwishwinger,

I was interested in the other lights Turn, brake, sidemarker etc.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

When I did my 1200, I left the signal lights as standard bulbs and replaced my brake/tail to LED. This will still reduce your stator load. If you want to do signals also, I would use load resistors in the signal circuit instead of trying to put in an LED flasher. This will reduce your load on the marker lights, and since your signals are not on all the time, it really doesn't matter if you use load resistors.LED's lighting is directional so you need to get tower LED's with 360 degree lighting for all the lights in the rear of the bike. Also get coloured bulbs so that the bulb color matches the colour of the lens your puttimg it behind. ie. red bulb for red lens, amber bulb for amber lens.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi dkdc, yes LED's are the only way to go on these 1200's because of the stator. I changed over most of mine except a couple in the brake lites. I left two bulbs there. LED's draw two thirds less than the old bulbs. I put them on the side markers, signals, and even added some to the outer edge andthe bottom of my mirrors. Now I did have some one do this for me, so I don't know all that went into putting these in, meaning like load resistors etc. But you can't go wrong doing this. Just don't get the ones made in China. And stay away from that guy called JD Lighting. Bad scene. Now on the head light I had put in a 90/100 bulb and I am very happy with it. Why I say that is that I kept going to a brighter bulb each time the lower beam burnt out. 1st one [the original ] was 50/60, next one I had put in was a 70/80, and then the 90/100. Because of the spread of the headlight for me anyway, that I found I needed a stronger light. Now I'm reading on here about LED headlights that are brighter and draw a lot less juice. That's what we want because of the stator. I picked up quite a few LED's as spares at the Wing Ding show in SC last Aug. The Bulbs are good for and garunteed for20,000 hours. These are made in your country USA. The Company that had a booth there was called The Lighthouse. The phone # 1-904-751-4378. They use to have a 800 #, but due to not much use, it was shut down. This Co. is in Florida USA. And do leave one or two old bulbs in otherwise a light will come on on the dash and stay on because the draw is not big enough. Hope this helps, and let us know how it went. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I have LEDs on everything but the headlamp on my 85a.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

leds wont work as headlamp or at least it wont be cheap. if you want less power draw-more light output, xenon is the way to go. 35 watts vs 55/60 stock

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

xenon bulbs are not 90/100. from 4300K to 12000K all xenon are 35 Watts. i am guessing the 90/100 you saw is just a chinese prank, halogen bulbs painted blue. stay away, those usually overheat!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

You can get LED headlight kits for $150 to $200. Better yet, look for one in a junk yard. Most of the new Dodge products use them and a few other cars.

I've seen a few on sport and puke bikes. They are very bright and an odd color/glow

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

H13/9008 12V 100/90W Crystal White

$29.50 Reg.
$27.50 SALE

H13/9008 12V 100/90W Crystal White xenon car bulbs from Zoomlite™, for 65/55W bulb click here.

This item is also available in Lapis Blue color.

• Color harmonized with HID in effect and color temperature.
  • Our premium H13 100/90W xenon bulbs produce up to 30% more light than the standard bulbs.
  • Improves driver visibility and better concentration.
  • Reflects the road markings and signs better than the standard halogen bulbs.
  • Enables drivers to concentrate better on the roads, less fatigue for eyes.
  • Consume same wattage as the standard bulbs, produce higher wattage output.
  • Sold in pair, price is for 2 bulbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.