Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Title says it all. This was a bad day. To top it off, I'm writing this twice because my picture was too big. When I hit the back button, I lost my thread. Too darn bad for me:)

Anyway, I just bought my first Wing today ('77 GL1000). Test drove it yesterday and it ran great. About halfway home, I lost ALL power. After an $80 tow, here's what I found:

First thing that came to mind was a fuse. Found a manual online, found where the main fuse should be and only saw half of the small plastic 30A fuse box with no fuse. Since the fuse jumper was corroded and broke, I tried a few shops to see if I could find another and struck out.

A local HD mechanic suggested I try a 30A blade type fuse in a holder he sold at his shop ($7) so I tried it out. It had two electrical connectors at each end so I spliced it to my existing leads from the battery and the other red lead to what I believe is the starter relay. As you can see from the pics, this relay is missing from my bike.

After splicing everything together, I turned the key and got zilch. Still no power. I rechecked my connections (hadn't soldered anything together), sanded down the connections at the end of each lead, reattached to the battery and got nothing.

Next, I pulled the battery and got it on a charger for 30 minutes just to see if I could get a oil or neutral lamp to light. I saw the 10A ground fuse dangling there and checked it. It looked corroded and bad so I put in a 3A (didn't have a 10A handy). Replaced the battery, leads, etc and turned the key. Nothing. No lamps, starter bump, etc. For some reason, I tried the horn and I almost peed when it blasted a few times before it died. I checked the 3A fuse that I substituted for the 10A and found it blown.

At this point, I pulled the battery again and got it back on the charger. That's where I am now.

When I tried to ride the bike when I first looked at it, the battery was weak and the bike wouldn't start.

Yesterday, when I went back to ride it, the PO said he had it on a charger overnight (didn't ask if he was charging at 2A or 10A). The bike started right up. When I went to get it today, it started right up.

I'm sure I have good splices on the new 30A main fuse holder. I don't really know what to say about the missing starter relay. As I recall, it wasn't there when I test drove it. If anyone thinks I did something wrong or has any suggestions, please chime in.

My guesses at this point are bad battery or generator.

Sorry for writing so much but I know there's a lot of knowledge on this site and I know the bike can be saved. I believed the PO when he said he took the bike as payment for a carpentry job he did for a neighbor. He said he didn't ride which at first struck me kind of odd but I felt he was truthful. He didn't seem to know anything about bikes and I'm beginning to doubt if I do!!!!!

Thanks in advance for you comments. Pic is attached (I hope)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Got to admit that that is an ugly batch of wiring. If you got it home your on fighting grounds now. Take the battery to your local parts store and have them test it. If the battery is low on the old girls they just don't care to run. Clean the ground cable and all of the places where the battery box connects to the frame (big problem area) It always seems to be the stupid stuff that makes us spend money and then find out it was a loose screw.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Yeah, looks bad. I thought I'd clean it up a bit when I figure out what's going on and get everything back together.

I'll get the battery checked tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

been known to have elect. probs. make sure battery good check connections, i believe there's two blade fuses, they can look good and in fact, be bad also start switch or key can be bad, others will chime in but make sure bat. good and go from there. good luck:action::waving: also check grounds, if been sitting awhile anything can happen.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Also, not sure where the battery connects to the frame. It looks like there's just two rubber pads the battery sits on and the rubber strap holds it in place.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

If I'm right the ground cable hooks to the battery box and the bolts get rusty. I added an extra cable to the motor from the battery on mine just for piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

If you get a chance, can you post a pic? I'd to see how yours looks. Either way, thanks!

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

cqlink, the 2 red wires hanging down have to have power. Connect your 30 amp fuse to them and to the battery positive. The other wires in the picture are something added on so they need to be eliminated. The ground is the heavy black wire that connects to the battery negative, it must be connected to the frame or engine. There is no need for a fuse in any ground wire. It has a starter relay right there where the battery positive cable goes, if it did not have one it would not have started in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

highcountry wrote:
If I'm right the ground cable hooks to the battery box and the bolts get rusty. I added an extra cable to the motor from the battery on mine just for piece of mind.
the ground cable goes on the bottom bolt on the triangle motor mount. It sits on theinside of the motor mount on the bolt that goes all the way through. JB

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I don't have it any more, working from memory. If you think that it's a ground problem run a jumper cable from the battery to an engine bolt and see if everything works. Just keep checking all of the connector plug for crud after you know that it's not a battery gone bad. Dana

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

The 30A blade fuse is in the small plastic box at the bottom of the pic. It's hard to see in the pic but I've spliced the two black ends from the new fuse box to the two red ends that formerly connected to the old 30A fuse box. Those are the ends in the pic.

I know your right on what I called a "ground fuse." It's something else. I just got back from AutoZone and put in a new 10A fuse into that holder.

It looked like my battery had 50% charge so I took if off the charger and reconnected everything. The two red ends, spliced into the new fuse box was securely connected to the positive battery terminal. I replaced the two black wires, one one top of the negative battery screw and the other underneath the screw as it originally was.

Turned the key and this time I got the radio to play and the horn to sound continuously but no indicator lamps. Voltmeter read "0."

I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out why I get power to horn and radio but nowhere else. Must be fairly low voltage units? I disconnected the battery again and put it back on the charger. Meter on the charger at 2amps read the battery was dead again.

I'm going to try again in the AM and then take the battery to be checked. Can AutoZone or NAPA do a check for me?

Thanks again guys. Let me know if you think of anything else I can try.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Also, I did have to ride across a few bumps on my way home. I'll try to find the other end of the ground cable when I get better light. Maybe I knocked it off. I'll try to locate the triangle motor mount and check it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Yet another item. When I looked in the service manual, it looked like the starter relay was a fairly large relay that the black cap with red wire connected to. You may have noted in the pic that all that's there is just the black cap with the fairly thick red wire coming from it. It doesn;t appear to be connected to anything.

As you noted, it did start the last two days so I'm a bit lost.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

Just for for giggles, check the glass fuses in the fuse box, mine had some corrosion and not making contact. lights did not work till I cleaned all the holders.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

Maybe I wasn't clear. The 2 red wires coming down from the frame need to be connected to one end of the fuse holder, the other end of the fuse holder goes to the battery +.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm beginning to think his starter solenoid broke and fell off.

What's behind that black cap? It looks like a solenoid is there in the rubber holder.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Hi Dave....I'm fairly sure that's how I have them wired. The new pic may help identify.

I was looking for the other fuse box. Shouldn't it be somewhere near the left side of the battery?

If you guys see where I've pointed to "starter relay cap," that's all that's there. It not connected to any relay that I can see (pic still isn't the best).

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Wally World battery about $50.00........Battery tender $20.00......Get both......Then you will have a hoy battery to check it out with......

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.