Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The PO had a bumper sticker on the trunk It was okay but I have removed it because it was deteriorating. Whats the best remover to use on the glue backing residue that will not destroy the paint. I have that Blue/Black paint that was only available in 1984 and I don't want to cause any damage to it.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

try wd40, it works well on duct tape and may help with the sticker

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'll give it a shot..Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Some of them can be softened with a hair dryer, if that don't work, I try to tear the surface material off to expose the glue, and try warm water with a terry-cloth to help expose the glue better, then I use ordinary lighter fluid (Ronsonol). I've not yet had it damage any painted surface, but it wouldn't hurt to test it on a concealed area 1st. :waving:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Auto parts stores do sell a sticker adhesive remover.

My first choice would be tar and bug remover simply for the reason I have it on the shelf.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yea I have got the surface stuff off Now I just have the outline with the clue residue. I'll try both. I'll let ya know which works the best.Thanks

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

Goo Gone. At any hardware store.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

just do NOT get goof off, that stuff will take the paint off

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

WD-40 works good at removing glue residue. Then use a de-greaser like simple green to remove the WD-40. Won't harm the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Okay wd 40 she no worky. Went to auto zone and bought the adhesive remover(aerosol). Very mild but works great had the stickers on the trunk removed easily..Had to let sit as it says it STARTS working in 10 minutes let sit for a half hour and with minimal scraping the glue came right off and after polishing you can't even tell there was any there.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Gonna log that away for future use. Also baby wipes are a good thing to try before going to the heavier artillery...

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have had good luck with spray carb cleaner. I use it for almost everything. It will not damage paint if you don't jut keep spraying it on, and it will usually get rid of the glue long before it has a chance to damage the paint. Lacquer thinner and acetone also work great. Once it is all off, hit it with some WD-40. This is for factory paint ONLY. All of these chemicals will damage most aftermarket paint. And if you have baked on residue from duct tape, good luck. I have never seen anything that will take that off without paint damage.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

That why I used this particular adhesive. It was very mild took a long to time to take effect and had no damage to paint at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.