Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumping posts here not allowed

Reading the Rules pertaining to the "For Sale" adverts seems to be a Lost Art.

Therefore, in a tiny bit of effort to alert folks, without us mods having to send a polite PM every time it occurs, BUMPING IS NOT ALLOWED.

yes, we understand you want your post to stay on the top of the 1st page, but so does everyone else who has a For Sale advert.

you are not being fair to the rest of the forum members.

therefore, with this single Post, we are issuing an alert, bumps will be deleted.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well then AZ what would you have me do? create a whole new post the same as the old one and waste more band width?
Really ! Every other forum I belong to allows bumping.

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
Well then AZ what would you have me do? create a whole new post the same as the old one and waste more band width?
That would get deleted too. It's not fair to everyone to have someone bumping their own posting. If you want to reduce the price or edit other details to help sell your item that is OK.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
On the forums I used to Moderate, bumping was not allowed either... If it were, everyone would keep bumping to keep their post at the top... Makes sense to me, especially in the Classified section...

Les

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I've posted some thing's for sale in the past.
In doing that, I knew the interest was either there, or not.
I remember posting a nice Corbin Gunfighter seat for a 1000 some years ago for a friend. It was a great $$$ deal in the first post.
I had gotten no response or offers for about a week so, I reduced the price with a bump to let others that may have had a interest know, knowing it would surface at the top of the postings.
I believe that's where it is still today, and should still show in the results, ...that last bump of mine.
The fella who owned the seat, my friend, was anxious to sell it, texting me every day whether it had sold or not, as he needed the cash. He'd ask if I was bumping it to the top. I told him, "no, they know it's there...". Told him I'll bump it for a reason, not "just because" he wanted it bumped. That's when I suggested he lower the price. So, that's when I bumped it...

I eventually bought it.

I've bumped a couple of old technically threads that I had found relevance in. May be more than a couple of those. I don't recall exactly how many, but less than a handful.
"Relevance" is the real key to bumping as I see it.
I don't know what happened, or even which thread to reference for this one, but without some kind of relevant reasoning for pushing a thread back to the top, and forcing all to see it again, needs some kind of reason for doing so.
If AZ stepped in, I'm guessing that "bump" was the post, which was the trigger, because Dave kinda spelled it out.

So, I ask, "why did you bump it?"
Because you need it sold?
We know that. It must be in the For Sale section. That's how I would know you need to sell it. Selling stuff on here is not really profitable. It never really has been. That forum is more to help others by those that have the resources to do it. I'm guessing you've a bike over there for sale. If somebody needs it for the price you've got it at, then it'll sell. If it ain't selling, what's the problem? ...and then, what's the best possible, alternative solution; a price drop?.
Giving it to the masses again isn't the best solution in my experience. Maybe it's not so much a price drop as a "free shipping" arrangement for the buyer.
...something creative?..
Bumping it won't make anyone pull the trigger if undecided. It will probably foster some debate in way or another..
It really gets down to forum etiquette.

It's not about bandwith. The fallout from needless bumping consumes more of that.
It's not really about "not allowed" either. Dave kinda spelled that out too.

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the software is currently configured to not allow you to post consecutively in the For Sale forum only.

this is intended to stop bumping on purpose.
if your post has interest, someone will ask a question, when that happens you can post a reply once....

if they or someone else posts to that F/S thread, then you can reply to that also.

but you cannot repeatedly post and reply to 'yourself'.

I know this irritates some folks, but if it were not that way, we would have threads full of 'bump' or BTT and there would be a whole page of them

that is NOT fair to the other folks who also have an item to sell, and just don't happen to be on the forum to play that bumping game.

so, we killed bumping.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That would get deleted too. It's not fair to everyone to have someone bumping their own posting. If you want to reduce the price or edit other details to help sell your item that is OK.
Geeez, you have got to be kidding. So if I change something in my post it gets bumped back up to the top. Like all I have to do is add a period somewhere and it gets bumped. Hahahahahaha that has got to be the stupidest ruling I have ever heard. If it's so unfair to others why then is it allowed in other forums? And why can I change something so simple and have it brought back up to the top. REALLY ?

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
Geeez, you have got to be kidding. So if I change something in my post it gets bumped back up to the top. Like all I have to do is add a period somewhere and it gets bumped. Hahahahahaha that has got to be the stupidest ruling I have ever heard. If it's so unfair to others why then is it allowed in other forums? And why can I change something so simple and have it brought back up to the top. REALLY ?
Not that simple, if you have something to add that is important is one thing, a small edit to just bump it is another.

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummm, editing your post won't change the post date.
so, it will remain in the list in date created order.

And, unless something has changed, IIRC there is a 72 hour limit on editing your own posts. This rule got added when we had a very good tech info person get out of sorts and he deleted all of his posts, 100s of them... we lost a terrific amount of tech knowledge when that happened.

so, we turned on a time limit for editing a post.

if you have a real need to update your For Sale thread, PM a moderator to help you.

but to just bump it to the top, ain't agonna happen. sorry

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
and I thought this was going to be a thread about bump starting the Wing

So I will ask: Is it ok to bump start the bike- ie: someone pushes bike by hand then you dump the clutch-
in an emergency situation = maybe starter failure during a ride??

Or better to call for a tow and figure it out at home?
As if I know anyone willing to push 1100 pounds!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ummm, editing your post won't change the post date.
so, it will remain in the list in date created order.

And, unless something has changed, IIRC there is a 72 hour limit on editing your own posts. This rule got added when we had a very good tech info person get out of sorts and he deleted all of his posts, 100s of them... we lost a terrific amount of tech knowledge when that happened.

so, we turned on a time limit for editing a post.

if you have a real need to update your For Sale thread, PM a moderator to help you.

but to just bump it to the top, ain't agonna happen. sorry
I did not mean that I wanted to bump a post every few days. Only when I disappeared from the first page. Seems like this forum is getting a little out of hand these days !

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

So I will ask: Is it ok to bump start the bike- ie: someone pushes bike by hand then you dump the clutch-

I bump started my GL1200I several times when I had a bad battery.
Sometimes with a helper pushing but mostly by my myself.:surprise:

For the original question of bumping for sale posts without new information our moderators are in my opinion correct.:claps:

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not mean that I wanted to bump a post every few days. Only when I disappeared from the first page. Seems like this forum is getting a little out of hand these days !
Everyone wants to stay on the Front Page....
and when activity is up, that is impossible....

( by the way, the Front Page is controlled totally by how you set up the forum to read posts. 10 posts per page, or 50 posts per page? ) Personally, I have mine set to unlimited which is something like 36 threads/page!!! A few Stickys on the 1st page, but the 2nd page has 36 F/S threads on it.

Want more, set your fonts smaller, and you will get more. My fonts are 1/4 inch tall on a 24 inch monitor, and I still have 36 threads per page.

so, you bump yours up to the front, then the next guy on the bottom gets pissed and he bumps his to the top....

what we witnessed in the past is a Who can bump fastest race....
and there would be 4 or 5 who seemed to live on the forum and would keep bumping.... one several times a day so he always was #1....

That pissed Wexy and Steve Saunders off Big Time, and Wexy locked down the For Sale forum..... That has been in effect now for 6 years, so your complaint is falling on deaf ears...

sorry, but the Bump Rule stays in effect.

The forum is getting "out of hand"??

I interpret that to mean that the "forum won't run the way you want it".

The mod staff has to control the forum for the best of everyone... and in the For Sale forum, that means that everyone will maintain their position.

just because you aren't on the Front Page does not mean your thread is gone forever..... We never, ever, delete a For Sale thread unless it is closed by the seller.... ie, it sold or they found what they wanted.

folks do go thru all of the pages.... we continually have an "old F/S thread" brought back to life with the question "do you still have this?"

and yes, it is available and it gets sold.... that thread could be a year old, but it is on the 2nd or 3rd page still yet.... because we prevent it from being kicked downhill.

Don't forget, folks who want something know how to search the F/S forum...

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I have to say, I'm in agreement with the forum on bumping a for sale post. If a person wants it back to the top then reduce the price. I've never been able to bump my for sale ad up in a print newspaper. Only fair to every one else.

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to say, I'm in agreement with the forum on bumping a for sale post. If a person wants it back to the top then reduce the price. I've never been able to bump my for sale ad up in a print newspaper. Only fair to every one else.

Which is a valid reason to cause it to go back to the top.

But, if you were the last poster you won't be able to do it yourself.

and that is why I said earlier to PM a moderator, who will modify the Title with the new price, correct any price info in the 1st post text, and will post to the thread about the Price Reduction: which will bump it up to the top.

If that is the only thing that needs to be done, you are good to go until you need to reduce the price again. And here is the trick, a mod posted last, so if you want to have a wholesale price reduction, you are entitled to post it yourself. but you only get to do that once yourself, so timing is critical...

The mod staff all understand marketing... but we need to be able to control the "keep it in front of the TV viewer's face" methods...

and that is why Bumping was locked out.

now this thread is occupying 1st page exposure, and that means someone is off the 1st page, which is not fair, so I am merging it to the Sticky Thread.... and the subject is closed.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts

I find it especially easy to BUMP start a bike if it is parked on top of a hill. Gravity... it works.

I wonder if BUMP starting works on automatic bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Bottom line..... Rules are Rules! Period!

Az will testify to the fact that I drove him nuts at times when he would be the nice guy and bend the rules for folks just because, but Im the type where if it's a Rule, then everyone follows it. If you don't like the rules in the For Sale section, don't post there, Problem solved!

One Rule I would love to see (and one that I added to the NAGF For Sale Rules) is every for sale post MUST have a picture. There are very few exceptions to that rule. But it does eliminate the post from Joe in New York posting a wing he found on the Atlanta Georgia Craig's List. To me, that just takes up space........

But this isn't AZ, or Dave, or the new owners...... This is about Rules..... Rules are Rules....

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last time I was on in the forsale section I think I tried to REPLY to posts others made in my thread and after the FIRST REPLY I was shown a page that said I could not post in that thread again for like 30 days!
BULL CRAP! I can ONLY POST 1 REPLY in 30 DAYS!!!!?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for deleting the threads of stuff that sold, I NEVER thought that was a decent idea at all, many times people may want or need to look up some item they bought to see some type of info on it! Locking a sold thread is ALL that is ever needed, NO reason to remove it totally! Then if anyone want to look it up they can, but locked it can not be posted to so no way to bring it to top again!
Chromo,

I am not aware of a 30 day rule.... IIRC, we finished up with just the bumping rule.

If you get asked a question, you can reply. simple as that.

Not delete a sold thread? that means it is still there taking up space and bumping someone off the 1st page. sorry, we delete.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You are reaching an audience of people with bikes that span 40 years.
Do I want to buy a 1500? No thanks I have one. When the day comes I can upgrade to an 1800, perhaps a guy with a 1200 will have interest in
my 1500. Also with you in the Northwest and me in the Southeast. how low would your price have to be to entice me to make a purchase?
There are great deals in here and also not so great deals in here. I have mastered the craigslist game from vehicles from the 30's to present. I know key word searches that can find the impossible. The same can be done in this forum with out a bump, bump ,bump.
At this time I would like to thank ALL the MODERATORS. Great job,
Gentlemen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.