Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, after some research and planning I have decided to try a Bunburner 1500, 36 hours to do 1500 miles.LastyearI did a Saddlesore 1000 over Thanksgiving break. Took me 18 1/2 hours. Easy on the wide open freeways of west Texas. Just have toavoid the road rats.

"Pegasus" has been serviced and fed,he is all muscled upand chomping at the bit to go for a nice long ride. :action:

Sunday morning at 6amI will head west to Van Horn,TX , turn north to Roswell,NM, and turnaround and come back with an overnighter in Balmorhea. That will leave me a little over 500 miles back home for Monday to arrive by 6pm. All my gas stops are set and itshould be a piece o pie, pumpkin that is.I am on Google Latitude and will be checking inat my gas stops(if I can figure out how to work it).
Thats the plan anyway. :dance:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

more power to ya take alot of no-dozes and you'll be fine

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Sorry I coudln't ride along... evidently my school schedule is different than yours... besides, my question is WHY? Why would I do such a thing? That has got to be the most boring ride EVER!

I'll be expecting text updates... and remember I have a trailer it things go south.

Balmorrhea... there use to be a small mom and pop motel there... The Eleven Inn.

(they only have eleven rooms!)

Haven't been there in 15 years or so... have almost every Motel on West Texas on my cell... 432-375-2263

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a good plan

gud luck with the run

wish I could go too................ :action:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

Be safe and enjoy the view. Say hi to all our relatives in Rosewell!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Why not try and do it in under 24hrs and get yourself a Bun Burner Gold 1500?

I have done two RBLR1000 in the UK, the first took 23hrs 35mins the one this year took 17hrs and 40mins, pleased with that.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Did you know that you can get credit for the Saddlesore 1000 and the Bunburner 1500 on the same run. So if you want another certificate for a Saddlesore 1000 you can get it. Have fun, good luck, and NO no-doz. You won't need it. Next you can do the Bunburner Gold. One step at a time.

Most people think that you will get sleepy and tired at the end of one of these runs. What actually happens is that you are so into making it that the adrenalin keeps you alert. You worry about all of the things that can go wrong and you are excited that you are about to complete it successfully. I have never had trouble with alertness at the end of a run.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Drifter...

I just took another look at your first post and I see you are going all the way out to Van Horn before you turn north toward the Guadalupes. That'd be Texas 54 running up between the Seirra Diablos (west) and the Baylor mountains (east.) That is a marvelous, marvelous run... just watch out for jack rabbits. I have hit a few bigguns along that route. Also the approach to the Guadalupes from that direction is spectacular...

See here: http://culleynet.com/zen/Places/019.jpg.php

I suspect it will be mightily windy... be careful! That drive through the pass after you join US180 is awesome[sup]2[/sup]! After Pine Springs, just open the old boy up and gallop all the way into Carlsbad.

God I wish I could have come along... I absolutely LOVE that ride.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Have fun and be safe!:action:

John

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

You ask why........ I know why. 'cause y'all can still ride in November, thats why.My last ride this year was one day last week. Now the rain abd snow is upon us. Ride ya in the spring GL 1000 , you too GL1100 .

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice and sentiments. I think it will be awesome. On the first Saddlesore, I was wide awake the whole time.Even when I finished. I have thought about the saddlesore within, thats the plan. As far as GOLD, I think I will have to wait and see how I feel.Thanks US385, I will remem that, and about the trailer,I do wish you could tag along. I will be enjoying the beauty along the way and in the mountains. I have not been on that route before. I will send out texts to friends as I ride along and keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
You ask why........ I know why. 'cause y'all can still ride in November, thats why.My last ride this year was one day last week. Now the rain abd snow is upon us. Ride ya in the spring GL 1000 , you too GL1100 .
No doubt this is the peak of the riding season in Texas... but it's all relative. When you guys are posting all those marvelous pictures of the northwest during the summer, we were suffering through 83 consecutive days of 100+ heat and the driest drought of all time. It has been so hot... and so dry... so so long that i have not mowed my lawn since the first week of March.

Last July I was laying over in Lubbock at the heat index was 123.

That's not just hot... that's dangerous!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

make your average speed 120mph and you'll be done in no time lol

im kiddin im kiddin

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

OK, how do we get the certificates and stuff, what do we win?

I rode 1000 miles to Front Royal, VA for that meet in less than 24, but all I got was cold LOL

Too bad short notice and I'm not ready, I'd think about meeting you in Van Horn or San Antonio and ride part if you wanted to meet up, I not been there for maybe XX years I guess.

Don't seem like many like to ride like this, but I do sometimes, 1K in a day been the most for me since I started riding again though.

Oh, how fast do ya'll ride in Texas anyway? I'm a bit slow, seldom go over 70-75mph

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

good luck with the ride, LDR is a lot of fun, (especially when you have to make the trip, then it become even more rewarding.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
Getting ready for a Saddler Sore myself... on a DRZ400S!
Seriously? I would have done that when I was younger but I don't know about that now.

John

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Cool, thanks guys. Am just making final touches on route and fuel stops. Everything on Pegasus has been checked and ready. Will do a final recheck Saturday and pack everything else then. So far I have a buddy riding out with me(one of my witnesses) and maybe another meeting me in Van Horn or Carlsbad to ride a few hours with me(very nice), depending on his schedule of course. Weather is looking pretty good so far. I'm stoked. I don't really ride fast, (as in 80mph). A steady 65 to 70 and I am good. Too many idiots out there that I have to watch for.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.