Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased this 1998 GW about 2 months ago, have now ridden it about 1500 miles. Whenever I get off after riding 30 or more miles I smell what smells like burning tire rubber. The smell is strongest at the rear of the bike. I have put it on the center stand and cannot find any tire rub, nor do I see any evidence of rubbing. I recently spoke with another 1998 owner and he said he smells the same smell with his bike. He thinks it is that the tire rubber is soft and it is just the heat of riding that makes them smell?? I have a new E3 on the rear. Anyone else have this going on??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, I've smelled the same thing both with my 1500 and my 1800. Smells like hot rubber or overheated wiring. Never could trace the source so I don't know what's causing the smell but I rode over 100,000 miles on that 1500 and nothing went up in smoke either electrically or from friction. I'm assuming whatever it was is the same thing I get a whiff of now and then onmy 1800. The smell is usually the strongest on a hot windless day when I park the bike, but it doesn't always happen either. I've decided it has something to do with gremlins dropping off the bike.

Part of the problem might be you're not riding that bike enough, seven hundred miles in two months in the summer? Better get busy on that.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

My last `91 Aspencade had a rubber smell when I parked it after a ride. Come to find out one of the idler pulleys was seized, and dragging against the cam belt. yup....belt finnaly wore out and broke. You can guess the rest.....

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

You said you put a new rear tire on. The rear hub that the driveshaft goes into has a rubber dirt seal that goes over thewheel to keep the dirt and water out of the gear box. Sometimes when you put the wheel back on the rubber gets folded over and will smell until it burns away.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

exavid wrote
Part of the problem might be you're not riding that bike enough, seven hundred miles in two months in the summer? Better get busy on that.
Most all summer I owned three bikes and was taking turns. I had a couple Honda ACE Tourers that I enjoy just as much as the wing. Sold one Tourer, now I have to decide which bike I will keep, Tourer or Wing.... maybe both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.