Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can someone walk me through the burping process. am i supposed to wait for no more bubbles or what. ive spent 6 hours and two bottle of collant trying to burp the bike. i dont know what im doing wrong. i am waiting for no more bubbles. they keep coming. ive tried rocking it, putting it on the center stand. is there a specific method for this? i havent had much time to ride the bike.

originally the resvior hose came off the radiator, thought i had it fisolved but i guess not.

should i have the res filled? i do now.

its like bubbles then down on the coolant and then i fill it. then i turn it off. coolant flows out and more bubbles, i fill it then start it again and it shoots more bubbles and i add more coolant.

im going nuts. so far this is the worst motorcycle i have ever owned. im realy trying to give this bike a chance.

82 gl1100 aspencade.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

just to add, i do have the rs hose clamped now.

can anyone tell me on this bike where the temp gague should sit approx?

and the thermostat is currently out. i thought that was the original problem untill i learned where the radiotor cap was.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

i know im goignt o feel like a horses patoot when i get this figured out.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Wow, Tim_ you get up early, or you don't quit early, whatever. You say the reservoir hose came off, do you know why? Hopefully that isn't indicating an overheating problem. I see you have removed the thermostat. A thermostat is easy to check on the stove in a tin can of water. It must open before the water begins to boil, if you don't have a thermometer that reads high enough. My gage runs about half way.
If you overheated, (perish the thought) a blown head gasket will give you an endless supply of bubbles, although the exhaust should show white smoke, or water will drip from the pipe. Remember, water vapor is a major by-product of combustion, so some water is normal on a COLD engine. Usually a bad head gasket or cracked head will miss when cold. I personally haven't bled a system yet as I haven't had to. Some other member will give you a better answer on that question. Get some sleep.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Burping the baby made easy.

1.) Remove false tank shell
2.) Remove radiator cap
3.) Start the bike
4.) Let the bike warm to operating temperature
5.) When air bubbles out of the radiator, refill it to the top
6.) Wait until you can see that the thermostat has gone through a complete open/close cycle (you'll see movement in the anti-freeze through the radiator fill
7.) Top off as needed
8.) Install radiator cap
9.) Turn off bike
10.) Fill overflow reservoir

Ride normally.

On most Goldwings you'll find that on hotter days the temp needle will come to just above the halfway point, then drop back down a little and start to climb again.

As Chesapeake said, if you changed the thermostat trying to solve a different problem (like perpetual overheating, etc...) it is possible that you have a bad head gasket. Checking the exhaust when running and warm should give you a good indication.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Are you getting any white sweet smelling(antifreeze) smoke out of the exhaust when it's hot? Or is there one plug that looks steam cleaned after a good ride?

If you keep adding antifreeze it's got to be going someplace..blown head gasket the only place it could be unless you are seeing a leak to the ground or water in your oil. One other place that could be boiling off is the crossover pipes on the top of the engine just under the carbs. There are several joints in that section of pipe and it could be leaking on to the engine and boiling off..but you should be able to see stains if that's happening

It sounds like you've added a lot of coolant so the three latter possibilities are not likely or you would have noticed. While leaking into the cylinder it is vaporized and blown out the exhaust. Sorry to say that's the most likely scenario.

Putting a new head gasket on isn't too hard. The hardest part is resetting the timing cams/belts. But there is an excellent section on this in the reference section by Octane with pics!!!

A set of gaskets are $85..don't use anything but OEM. And since you have to take off the timing belts to do this get new ones about $30 Gates - #5119 or #T274 (2ea.)or
NAPA - #250274 (2 ea.) or
Goodyear - #40274 (2 ea.)
And a full day of wrenching if it's your first time.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I had the cooling system get air bound a couple times making it hard to get the radiator filled. What worked for me was put the radiator cap on, fill the reservoir, let the engine warm up to expell the air then cool down to suck coolant back in which tops off the radiator.
This may or may not work if it has a blown head gasket. If a gasket is blown your going to see a steady supply of air bubbles in the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

the original problem overheating when driving and cooling when i came to a stop. i took out the thermostat - didnt solve the problem. then i found out about burping the baby. i tried it and it seemed to be good. but i didnt get to ride the bike much until a couple days ago. rode good to work and then on the way home it ran hot again. so here i am. before anything it is not leaking coolant from anywhere. the exhaust smells right, the dipstick is nothing but oil.

should i empty the resevior before burping or not?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

yes it is. it seems intermittent sometimes but i also have an auxilary fan on a switch as well

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Are you losing coolant, having to add more at the radiator cap? Or is it just overheating and we don't know why?

Make sure the overflow tube is at the bottom of the reservoir, under water or it will suck air into the system.

Another possibility if you are not losing coolant is that the pump is not spinning..a guy a few days ago posted about the shaft on his water pump being broken..froze up and he broke off the slot sides on the shaft..so that is another possibility.. water not circulating as it should. The only way to check that is to take the front hose joint off the pump housing and give the engine a crank or two with the stop switch switched to off...and watch the impeller spin or not....note this will drain all the coolant use a clean pan and reuse the old coolant .

Thermostat out shouldn't effect the burping..just takes longer to get up to temp.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

i doubt that as well. i had it running good. i took it for a ride and everything seemed well last night. just to make sure i took off the cap again and a couple bubble came out. so then i started over. last night when i ran out of coolant i started the bike and it shot out a bunch of coolant and i didnt have enough left to replace it. right now the cap is just set on and when i get of work in a while im getting another bottle. it seems after i got the bike on the centerstand it really chugs out more when you start it. may be its better to do this on the centerstand?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Not sure what you mean by chugs out more.. It shouldn't be spitting coolant out the radiator fill when it's running unless fully warmed up..then it will boil over as the coolant expands..that why the reserve tank is there to take overflow when hot and suck it back in as it cools down.

Generally all work should be done with the bike on the center stand..all except pulling the starter.

So what I get is that it is still overheating but the coolant level is full..IE when you take the cap off with the engine cold it at the top of the neck..where it should be.

As to the temp gauge it should run at it's hottest about in the middle..beyond that it's beginning to over heat. You can run it at 3/4 and it won't hurt anything but it's not right. In cooler weather it runs, at least mine does at about 1/3 the way up the bar. That's running at night in 70's temps..in 90's during the day right at 1/2 way is average for me..even in stop and go traffic.

Run the bike with the tank off and the reservoir cap off..watch for bubbles. Watch the tank level closely it should fill up a little when hot and go back down after you park the bike for 30 minutes or so. Use the center stand and mark the level cold with a marker, so you can see it it rises and falls or not.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

the problem is the bubbles keep coming! its driving me mad. the coolant only shoots when i start it hot with the cap off. if i can get it running how it was light night i think it will be fine. i probably shot myself in the foot not leaving it alone.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If the bubbles keep coming most likely it's a blown head gasket. This is a closed system and the only way for air to get in is through a blown head gasket. All other gaskets will leak coolant but not suck air in..at least not while the system is running and under pressure. The only pressure to force air back into the system is from a running cylinder.

Do you have a steam cleaned plug? Any white sweet smoke after she is warmed up, it could be a small leak and it only opens up after she hot and the water is under pressure..?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

no luck with this bike. im done with it. im going to sell it as a fixxer or for parts with the trailer and goodies i have. ill never buy one of these things again, or even a honda for that matter. ive had a kawi klr 650, a suzuki bandit, and a yamaha virago and have never had any problems. honda just must not be for me. thank you all for your help trying to get me through the problem.

fyi i pulled all the plugs just to see and they are perfect. nothing coming out of the exhaust that smells sweet. nothing drips out at all. oil dip stick shows purty oil. no oil in the coolant.

ebay!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.