Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello friends , I m in need of a new heart for my GL1200I I hit something really hard tonight whlie rideing home from the drug store and a dinner date with my wife. and it really busted her up bad the back of the engine on the bottom left side has a hole as big as my thumb in her . now my daily ride is crippled bad and i will have resort to the cage . for the rest of the season . if any of you happen to have or know of a really good engine for sale let me know ok id rather not use ebay as i really dont know what i might be getting on there been biten twice so dont want the thired time , thanks ahead of time for any and all help SHE IS A 1986 GL1200I

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR ANY AND ALL HELP dave t

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks mr 1200 im going to take some pictures tomorrow and will try to post them tomorrow evening . and yes the big girl was a real hand full for a second or two we never did get a good look at what we hit as we had a kid in a wanta be hot rod pickup with a bunch of off road spot lights trying to run us over or blind us just as we hit what ever it was it put the hole in the back case bottom left right beside where the mufflers and exaust pipe are clamped together , dave t

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

If you ran the engine out of oil, I doubt it's worth saving... However, if the engine does not have any internal damage, the case can be heli-arc welded and saved.

I've seen engine prices all over the scale, and having the original case heli-arced is well worth it. You won't need to dissassemble the block, just make sure the broken surfaces are very clean and free of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I have an '84 Aspencade "parts bike" that I would sell, clear title.

Why is it a parts bike? I do not know, it is part of my father's estate that I am clearing.

As far as I know, it doesnt have any holes in the engine cases. Will the '84 parts fit your '86? Dunno, do your homework!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your engine, but glad your back on the forum, and riding again!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Is the hole actually in the case or in the back cover? If in the rear cover it's fairly simple to replace the rear cover. As the guys have already mentioned it might be possible to have a patch welded over the hole as long as the engine didn't run long enough to damage the bearings from lack of oil.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

JB welded a piece of scrap over a hole on a 310 datsun transaxle case once, wasn't pretty, but it worked, Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Did ya'll check the date of dave t. post? August 25, 2005 . Just a thought.................

however the information being posted is very helpful:clapper:

BTW: HERE is his last post!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

is the engine frozen up?.....you might still have a not so peppy engine.... but runs with mobile welder comming over

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No we didn't check the date of Dave's last post Teacher!:cheeky1:I get stung on that one at least three or four times a year. Doesn't matter if you passed away five years ago I'm determined to make sure you have my opinion.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Doesn't matter if you passed away five years ago I'm determined to make sure you have my opinion.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::clapper::clapper:You're the man exavid!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
imported post

It sounds like just your back cover on the engine got it. Might be the cover where the stator goes. I hope thats it, good luck

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

teacher wrote:
exavid wrote:
Doesn't matter if you passed away five years ago I'm determined to make sure you have my opinion.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::clapper::clapper:You're the man exavid!!!!!!!!!!!!
:doh:I didn't even look at the date........but he did get the bike repaired, and sold it. I saw it about a week before it found a new home. Someone got a sharp ride. I thought he had gotten another one and was back riding:blushing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.