Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It surprises me that with all the members here there's not been a buyers club established
amoung one or more of the many Goldwing parts andaccessories dealers.

Here in Sacramento our sport bike group (about 75 active)has managed to get three shops
that offer anywhere from 15% to 50% off on parts, accessories and even labor.

I realize there is no internet labor rate, but it seems like a lot of us spendlarge amounts of monies on accessories.
Heck I bet there is at least a few thousand in cup holders out there!

Just a thought
Maybe we could organizevendor support... maybe <joke>Saber Cycle</joke>!
TL

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

There could be a potential conflict with the forum's "No Commercial Ads" policy. :readit:

I can't see any harm if a company volunteered a discount to members but if the forum solicited a discount we could be asked for a favour in return.

Also the general membership wouldn't know of the discount unless it was advertised.

A slippery slope.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I think you hit it on the head there Len. Asking the dealers to give a discount might put the forum or more specifically Steve under an obligation to let them advertise. Is there a half-way means of making the idea work without compromising the commercial free nature of what we have here?
If they start allowing ad banners all over the forum, I would be gone. I like things as they are now.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

While Allowing Banner Ads would be Distasteful, Allowing them a Specific Section in order to Inform us of the Products they carried and the Amount of Discount to Forum Members, I mean if they did allow a reasonable Discount to the Forum Members, How Would WE Know it? I don't like Banner Advertising Either but I believe a Vendor Section would a Good Thing for ALL the Forum Members. Make a Rule that says they can Only Contact a Member if Contacted bythe Member First. It could be done, it's at least worth a Try.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I am against it, as it is too open to abuse. The general idea sounds reasonable, but how can it work when some dealers/vendors will be tempted to start emailing us with special offers. This is the only big Wing forum I use which is run for us members to get away from sales pitches, why hand it over to advertisers? We can get that on most other boards if we want it.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

Hand It Over? Abuse? This Forum has Moderators and should they Abuse their Privilege, Remove their Account. Pretty Simple. But if the idea of a Very Large Group Discount has no Value here, then So Be it....By the Looks of your Motorcycle Collection GW Money is Very Plentiful at your House, so I could see why a Discount wouldn't matter to you, unfortunately there are many on this Forum where and additional 10, 15 or 20% Discount would make the difference in whether they could purchase some Extra Items not currently Available at Full Price...think about the Group since this is a Group Forum. a Well Planned System Could Work for this Forum, and I bet Steve Could come up with a Way to Make It Work, he has Certainly had Success with this Forum for Quiet a Long While now so Lets See What Happens. I still believe what I Posted Earlier would Work, as for Abuse...Don't Punish Everyone for the Sins of One, Remove the Privilege from the Person Who Violates the Policy.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

I like the fact that there are no "Ads" on the forum. Although getting a discount on GW stuff would be nice too.
If you haven't notice there is a place to mention vendors, it's in the "links" section. If any vendor would give a discount, it could be mentioned in the links section. Just a thought. Let me say again, I like not having ads here.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

Well Maybe I need to clarify my thoughts as well WB...I dont like ADs Anywhere either, I was unaware of the LINKS Section but that is where it would belong. I dont want to see anything Scrolling across my Screen Either, A Section was my thought where they could put things or Advertise but the only way We the Members would ever have to See it would be if we were interested in finding the Vendors Available to our Group/Forum and any information they were willing to provide, yet make no Contact with Us unless we Inquired. Myself I'd prefer to see a Phone Number so I could just call them and ask them about whatever it was I was interested in. The Idea was to Give them a SECTION to place Information in and No Scrolling Advertisements.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

That would be tricky to get right IMHO. I would like parts discounts. who wouldn't. So lets not get all het up over it and talk sensible.

Say the admins work a deal out with a few dealers and I guess a sub forum is put up for them to advertise and for us to visit if we want to. If something does go wrong we are kind of stuck with it and the admins wouldn't be able to just close the sub forum down and punish the dealers who hadn't caused the problem.

As for putting them on the links page instead, who really goes looking at that more than once in a blue moon? Probably only a few members. Dealers will want to be where the action is here in the forum if they are going to give us good deals on parts. They aren't stoopid and won't want to be stuck on a links page buried off-forum.

The question in my mind is, whatever this forum does that works and brings us back time after time must be preserved, whatever way it goes.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

AMSOILER wrote:
....By the Looks of your Motorcycle Collection GW Money is Very Plentiful at your House, so I could see why a Discount wouldn't matter to you,
Theycould bikes that he use to own NOT current bikes ,a lot of members post their former bikes in either their signature or their avatar.

On the question of getting group discounts, Iwould be totally against it as it leaves us wide open for commercial ads and that is something we have been able to live without for many years now. Once a dealer gets a leg in, hecould adverise on other forums and in promotion material he can state that he is a sponsor of this site, So no I do not think it would be a good idea .

In the past and now we have been approached by dealers and offered all kinds insentives etc and Steve has always refused.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

I have to say that I like the idea of a group discount for parts\accessories as cash is tight in this household even for the Wing, but I really like the forums in the way that theyoperate at the moment, without ads and this generally seems to be the view of most contributors so far. It appears that the devil is in the detail as to how to preserve thesite's independence and get the members a good deal. If Steve feels that he couldn't get the two to co-exist easily then I'd have to go for keeping the site the way it is.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

BSquared wrote:
I have to say that I like the idea of a group discount for partsaccessories as cash is tight in this household even for the Wing, but I really like the forums in the way that theyoperate at the moment, without ads and this generally seems to be the view of most contributors so far. It appears that the devil is in the detail as to how to preserve thesite's independence and get the members a good deal. If Steve feels that he couldn't get the two to co-exist easily then I'd have to go for keeping the site the way it is.
Thats probably a fair reflection of my view. I can't work out how the moderators would begin to keep their eyes on it.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

Bernieswing wrote:
BSquared wrote:
I have to say that I like the idea of a group discount for partsaccessories as cash is tight in this household even for the Wing, but I really like the forums in the way that theyoperate at the moment, without ads and this generally seems to be the view of most contributors so far. It appears that the devil is in the detail as to how to preserve thesite's independence and get the members a good deal. If Steve feels that he couldn't get the two to co-exist easily then I'd have to go for keeping the site the way it is.
Thats probably a fair reflection of my view. I can't work out how the moderators would begin to keep their eyes on it.

I can see it putting a lot of pressure on the mods as well. That pressure increases when there are financial considerations. Our Buy /Sell section is modest because it's just us peons using it, often to help others more than make a buck. If it became commercial policing it would become a hot potato.

I'm not familiar with website setups but this might open doors to linking which in my understanding can affect bandwidth.

Let's keep this as a gathering of friends.

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
Let's keep this as a gathering of friends.
Whew! My brow was sweating there for a while...:sadguy:

I just cannot fathom trying to police the difference between a casual reference to "I've got that out back I think" to the more sutle, "we carry that , just call us at 123-456-7890"

Too fine a line on it, and thank you, but I will pass on the experience.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I agree with keeping the forum the way it is. I belong to GWRRA (not to open that can of worms here) and one of the problems I have with it is the cost involved. Too much advertising in the publications, and the cost is usually prohibitive because it is "motorcycle" gear.

I vote no - keep it the way it is.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Another approach I've seen used on backpacking forums is to get a group together who are looking at buying a certain item, canvassing dealers for what kind of a discount they are willing to offer for X number of units and then come back and place a post, stating the discounted price and ask who wants in. There is the problem of distribution though

My vote it to remain 'Status Quo'! ..... part of the reason this site is so good!

Dusty

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

I am not one to turn down a bargin but lets say for arguments sake a lot of guys give saber cycle bad press i have no experiance of this company my self and on the other hand we give cyclemax a lot of good praise in my opion well deserved but all we need is one guy to have a bad experance for what ever reason with cyclemax and he starts a bad mouth tread all hell would brake loose best left as it is

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
I am not one to turn down a bargin but lets say for arguments sake a lot of guys give saber cycle bad press i have no experiance of this company my self and on the other hand we give cyclemax a lot of good praise in my opion well deserved but all we need is one guy to have a bad experance for what ever reason with cyclemax and he starts a bad mouth tread all hell would brake loose best left as it is
I agree, Keep it as is! I hate other sites when you get so much ad's running you can't read the article! Also what happens when one person claims they didn't get the discount? Didn't get good service? ETC. I think themoderators have enough to do!! IMHO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.