Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Newly registered and first post! I am interested in a 1977 Goldwing for sale by a local. It has 11,000 original miles. Runs but has a little bit of what he thinks is a fuel delivery problem. It has the ferring and saddlegag set up stock.

I would like a nice bike for 2 up motoring with my girl this summer and at about $1000.00, we thought it would be well worth a serious look.

I ride a KLR650 now and it is great for what it does but we need a bike for more distance and comfort.

Are there problems with getting parts and keeping a bike like this running for years? Is there a very specific thing that I need to look for before considering the purchase?

I did read the guide here and was very helpful but it is nice to get some more opinions from owners!

Thank you all very much!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

first place for you to check is randakk's site for tips on starting up an "olde-wing"... parts generally can be had.... change the belts.... change all the fluids.... also check out www.nakedgoldwings.com for lots of "how-to" technical stuff with pictures

and you might want to list your locale in your profile.... just might be one of us around the corner

and welcome

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Welcome stuckinmud!

I'm the last person to give advice, other than I found my old bike and through the great people on this site have been guided on how to get 'er runnin'. I can only say find something that you think will run and then through yourself into it. It's a big plus to have your girl along for the ride!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of things to consider. If the bike has been cared for, and you feel up to a bit of wrench turning from time to time, I would go for it.

You said a fuel delivery problem, may need the carbs worked on, there are people that will rebuild them for you, or with all of the postings here and on the Nakedgoldwing site, you could do it yourself.

There is a lot of help here, on the nakedgoldwing site, and Randakk's site as well as may other people in the Goldwing community that are willing to bend over back wards and help, for almost any problem that may come up.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Hey Mr. Stuckinmud,
For $1000.00 you can't hardly go wrong. With 11,000 miles on it, you are looking at a practically new/old bike. You should be able to ride it for a long, long, long time!!

Welcome to the insanity, buy the bike!!!!!!!!!

John kb0ou

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Just Fyi that might be 111,000 miles..still Ok to buy actually these bikes are better if they have been run consistently. Also the fairing and bags aren't stock there weren't any stock in that year all add ons.

1,000 isn't cheap for a 1000 for that price it should be in fairly good shape..no major issues. of course depending where you are prices maybe difference.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome stickinmud to the Forum! :waving:

Best of luck with the prespective new wing!!! :action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Hi! and welcome to our forum.

You’ve found just the place to be.

Would you please look on the right side of any Forum Title page and click on “My Account”, then on Profile. There you need to fill in your Location. This will help us to help you as this forum is world wide with members all over the UK, Ireland, Asia, europe, down under and the Americas from the top clear through to the bottom.

Oh, and a BIG WELCOME from the state of ARIZONA!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank you everyone for your input! I updated my profile a little bit. Go Hawkeyes!!

I think I will go see the bike this weekend if it is still for sale. It really does sound like a great deal!

I would probably be able to tell even a well cared for 100,000 mile bike from an 11000 mile bike right?

Then again, there are some great looking high mileage bikes out there!

I was looking around at some photos and I guess the luggage must be vetter from what I can tell.

Thanks again all!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Hawkeyes, oh well, Good luck on your search. There are a lot of good deals out there, if your not in a hurry just keep your eyes and ears open.
Welcome to the fourm:action:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I really liked that show - Go Hotlips!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Correctionville!? Is that like a prison town or something? That '80 looks not bad if it has the side bags to go with it, the oil spots on the ground don't come from the bike and the set of aftermarket pipes purr to your liking. One thing I will say, the seat on that '80 is much nicer for the wife's tush than the sawhorse seat on a stock '77. Had a '78 and on any ride longer than an hour I had to slide a slightly inflated 8" trailer tube under the seat for the wife to sit on. Took the harshness out of the saddle. Did Yellowstone to home (1000 miles) in one day, 2 up, and with that tube under the sheepskin she was walking with less pain than I was the next day. I was going to say she could walk better than me the next day but then I realized she always does that:cooldevil:!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

From one Des Moines native to a Des Moines resident, WELCOME!

You say there's pix of this '77? Can we see them please?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.