Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just put a deposit on the 84 Aspencade in the picture, 60K miles came from California in 1990, all in pretty good order but its a cold wet morning in UK and there was LOTS of white smoke for 2 mins when it was first started, to me more like steam than oil but it did clear after warming up a bit, should I be concerned ,as I say it was a big cloud, I've got the price down to £1400, the bike has lots of recent service bills and runs nice and has been in regular use..Cheers..Charlie.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

These bikes are known to smoke somewhat upon start up. How long was it sitting without being started before you cranked it?

My '84 Aspencade will blow a puff of smoke on start up after sitting a while on the sidestand. But it is a puff of smoke and that's all.

If it cleared after warm up then it's most likely OK. The cold, wet, morning over there could mean it's nothing more than condensate in the exhaust turning to steam upon warm up.

Only 60K is good for sure.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
These bikes are known to smoke somewhat upon start up. How long was it sitting without being started before you cranked it?

My '84 Aspencade will blow a puff of smoke on start up after sitting a while on the sidestand. But it is a puff of smoke and that's all.

If it cleared after warm up then it's most likely OK. The cold, wet, morning over there could mean it's nothing more than condensate in the exhaust turning to steam upon warm up.

Only 60K is good for sure.

Good Luck!
Have to agree....

Kurt

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

Hi Charlie…

Welcome to the forum.
Not knowing too much about the history here's what I came across a few years back. I had a 'one man shop' back then.
An 1100 had been sitting outside for over a year and the new owner wanted to try to get it running. After several hours work I got it to run but it smoked a LOT. Wasn't oil, wasn't coolant (didn't have that 'sweet smell' of burning coolant) but was water vapor. The bike sitting outside had collected a LOT of condensation inside the mufflers. Rather than having to charge the customer for an hour test ride I had another idea.
I put a cooling fan in front of the radiator, cranked up the idle to 1500 rpm and let it run for the afternoon. Heated up the mufflers, burned off the condensation and ran great.

With that being said…. it is pretty common for the flat 4's to smoke on start up. If it clears up in 2 minutes… consider it normal. You should make sure it's water vapor and not oil smoke.

It might just need to be run more.
Again… Welcome.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies, the owner rode it around 40 miles the day before I looked at it but it may well have been stood for a while before that as we have had bad weather here for a couple of weeks, hopefully its just the usual stuff that causes the smoke and I've haggled the price down well on that point. Looking forward to riding my first Wing since the late 1980's.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,641 Posts
imported post

I would not be concerned about it if the smoke disappears within 2 or 3 minutes.

My 1200 was the same, by the time I made the 2nd stop light headed for the freeway, the smoke was gone. No more smoke at all for that day.

It is normal for that to occur, especially if the bike is left on the side stand overnight. I always set my bikes on the center stand just for that reason.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

smoked only 2 minutes??....when i bought my 1200 it had sat for a long time and smoked for about 10-15 mins....big enough to call the fire dept...rode it for 10 yrs...ran like new...but if it continues that consecutive days you got leaky valve seals...not too big a job...provided its not coolant misting

·
751 Posts
imported post

When I got my 1 st goldwing a gl1100 interstate I found It smoked on startup & Then When I got my gl1200 se-i the same thing it smoked on start-up & then when I got my 1500 the same thing if left on the sidestand it smokes & Sometimes on centerstand it smokes Ive had my 1500 since it had 40,000 miles & now it has 95 almost 96,000 & The samethingas a matter of fact Ive talked to many people including techs & They all said the samething it is the nature of the beast they smoke the flat 4`s & flat 6 engines will smoke Ive even talked to some gl1800 folks & There bikes smoke too & you can spend the $$$ to have valve guides & seals redone but Ill do it again in time So you have a choice you can get the bike & ride it or you can let a little smoke bother you & look for something else ! My suggestion to you is ride the bike a few hundred miles park the bike & next day weather permiting do the samething & Keep the rubberside down !

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Your car probably does the same thing when it's cold and the humidity is high, it's nothing to worry about.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The 4s (and sometimes the 6s will smoke some) will smoke a fair amount on start up when left on their side stand .

I'd place it on it's centerstand after you've run it a while and see if it smokes nearly as much upon next start up.

My old 4 would smoke a fair amount at times, yet never used any appreciable oil and it ran like a top until I sold it

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Where did the cloud seem to come from? When my 1500s haven`t been started in awhile over the colder months steam appears to be coming from the front fairing area. Antifreeze seeps out in the cold weather, and turns to steam for ahile till I drive it a bit. Only does this after long storage in the cold. Hopefully its just condensation that you see evaporating.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

before you pay this person try this,make sure there is coolant in the overflow tank and it is hooked up properly. start the bike while cold and watch the tank for bubbles until it warmed up good. if you get bubbles you a blown head gasket and the smoke may be steam. walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

The GL1100 and the GL1200 that I had each had around 35,000 miles on them. Both smoked every now and then at a start up, but both ran great and I had no problems with either of them!

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum !!! As stated before, normal for 1200's, especially if stored on side stand.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

walkabout wrote:
before you pay this person try this,make sure there is coolant in the overflow tank and it is hooked up properly. start the bike while cold and watch the tank for bubbles until it warmed up good. if you get bubbles you a blown head gasket and the smoke may be steam. walkabout :smiler:
Have a look at the oil as well. Check for any milky/creamy appearance...

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Right thanks, will do, think I will be buying it regardless , if its the worst case will I have to remove the engine to do the heads or do they come off in the bike, this will make a big difference to my worries about possible work needed although I'm looking forward to working on it and getting to know it as well as the riding, just big expenses I would like to avoid.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

If you are changing head gaskets, the engine does not need removed. It is very seldom you would need to remove the engine. A stator requires the engine to be removed, but that can be saved by doing the poorboy conversion to add an external alternator or replace the engine or a complete rebuild requiring splitting the case.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

My 1200 Aspencade (1984) and my 1500 (1993) mboth will blow some smoke at startup. When on the side stand, there will be a small amount of oil that will make it past the rings and wait until it's started to burn off. Normal.

Tale a volt meter with you and make sure the charging system is working, and pull off the side cover to see if the stator wires have been hard-wired to bypass the plug.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

The owner has done his own alternator convertion on the bike at the start of this year, he said it has one off a kit car on it, I'm not sure of the output etc but it must have been working for 7000 miles so far.I'm glad the heads arn't an engine out job if it was needed.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

It's when they don't smoke a little at start up that you worry.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.