Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have any comments or experience buying a bike for temp usage in Europe/England then reselling it again when the trip is over? I'd be interested in looking at this as an option for traveling around Europe/England. Maybe someone who lives there might have ideas. I've thought of asking someone who lives there to scout out a bike for me before I come over. Ideas/comments?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

In the UK dont buy new, New bikes loose 17.5% of their value immediatly you leave the forecourt, thats the Value Added Tax.

Smaller dealers at the minute are having a hard time and will do almost anything to shift a bike.

Not so many Goldwings over here, so look sideways a bit and you may have better luck with an ST.

Motorcyle Pete Keeps one over here all the time. Insurance will be you bigest hurdle.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Not the same thing, but Red and I "bought" a campervan in which we spent eight weeks happily bumming around Europe. We bought it sight unseen (over the internet) in the Netherlands and sold it back to the same outfit for 2/3 what we paid for it. It was a package deal complete with insurance, documents, etc., and absolutelyone of the best things we ever did! While a 1/3 value drop seems like a heavy loss, when it came to the campervan it was a very cheap way to travel and to live in Europe -- we spent no nights in expensive hotels, and we cooked and lived in the van. We figured roughly that our living and travel expenses -- not counting the diesel -- came to about $1800-$2000.... for eight weeks. This didn't include air fare of course.

While in Switzerland, we rented a bike (Silverwing Mega-scooter actually), on which we toured some in theAlps. We rented it from Moto-Center, Thun -- a great modern andaccommodating dealership. Check it out if you end up near there and want to rent.

If there isn't a similar "buy-back" option in Europe or the UK for motorcycles, thereoughta be.... it's really just a long-term leasing operation. If you're gonna be there for just a short time,2 or3 weeks, renting a bike is probably a better option, but it will be shockingly expensive. Longer thanthat and you should try and cobble up some sort of buy-back with a dealer..... at least that's what we think! Establishing a "buy-back" bike program for now-impoverished Americanswould seema good way for some of you over there to get rich!

edited: There is also the option of shipping a bike from here..... the last time I looked, it would cost about $3000 to airship a bike from Vancouver, B.C., to and from Frankfurt...... not a bad option if you're gonna lose that much on whatever bike you buy over there....

:)

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Buy the right bike and you shouldn't lose, only problem is the timeframe at the beiginning and end of your holiday for buying and selling.

I (and no doubt many others in the UK) would be prepared to help in that area, there is also a well known Goldwing dealer in the north of England who might do a sell and buy back if you don't bend it deal. I could approach him on your behalf if you wished?

Drop me a PM if I can help.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks to Geordie and the others for the info and the offer of assistance. If we do this (it's just an idea right now), I have a couple of ideas from your replies, and it did occur to me to ask if anyone out there might help me find a bike for a buy-back deal. If this happens, I'll certainly consider that appealing option.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

I spoke to Barry Walton of Colin Appleyards - the well known Goldwing dealer in the North of England this weekend.

The concept of selling a bike to a foriegn visitor with an agreed buy back price based on miles done, condition, any damage incurred etc. is not a new concept to Barry, they have done it before. :)

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
I spoke to Barry Walton of Colin Appleyards - the well known Goldwing dealer in the North of England this weekend.

The concept of selling a bike to a foriegn visitor with an agreed buy back price based on miles done, condition, any damage incurred etc. is not a new concept to Barry, they have done it before. :)
Something to consider. How far is he north of London?

Another question: We have friends who live near London and when I mentioned my plans, they said, "Oh, no, you don't want to do that (ride a motorcycle in England). It's too dangerous." If we did this and avoided London, is riding around the country? I'm comfy riding on the wrong side of the road. :)

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

MoneyGuy wrote:
Another question: We have friends who live near London and when I mentioned my plans, they said, "Oh, no, you don't want to do that (ride a motorcycle in England). It's too dangerous."
One could be very rude here, but one won't be, there are many of us here that ride around this country a lot, in London out of London.

I think your friends may be biased against motorcycles..

The UK is no more dangerous than anywhere else, and London has its quirks, but is no different to Paris, New York, or any other big City...

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
MoneyGuy wrote:
Another question: We have friends who live near London and when I mentioned my plans, they said, "Oh, no, you don't want to do that (ride a motorcycle in England). It's too dangerous."
One could be very rude here, but one won't be, there are many of us here that ride around this country a lot, in London out of London.

I think your friends may be biased against motorcycles..

The UK is no more dangerous than anywhere else, and London has its quirks, but is no different to Paris, New York, or any other big City...
Hmm, not sure how to take that "could be very rude" comment. I hope it's not a slam against me or my friends. It's an important question as this is something I'd like to do one day.

I think my friends are just anti-bikes and feel that they're too dangerous. I don't. It is good to know that the locals can reassure me that the risk is not substantially different from riding in other places. I might avoid London, but I don't see why riding elsewhere in the countryside would be overly dangerous. As long as I can avoid gawking at the scenery. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

I was not being rude, and had no intention of being rude, riding bikes over here is not a problem, the biggest problem you may experience is the change in the weather conditions going from dry to very wet roads in minutes.

Taking your time, being smooth with the throtle, all things I am sure you are already accomplished at and you will have no problem what so ever, I'll meet up with you and ride a few days till you are accustomed if you want.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the offer. If the wife and I do this, I'll certainly seek advice from the members here (one reason being to acquire a bike as I don't want to ship mine over) and maybe a riding partner. Many thanks for the response. As I thought, my friends are just anti-bikes. I'm not worried.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.