Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 82 Wing, the Wife has a cruiser. she is going to look at a 82 Silver Wing . I'm looking for opinions for the Silver Wing. Are they as good as the GW'S any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I've got an '81 Silverwing that has been very reliable and economical. On trips with my son of up to 2,000 miles it regularly gets 10 mpg better mileage than my 1200. Has no problem keeping up a steady speed of 75mph all day. Parts are quite easy to come by on the internet and are inexpensive. The ride is quite comfortable. It handles very easily in most situations, though it doesn't like to be whipped around by 18 wheelers on the Interstates.
The biggest gripe I would have about the bike is the RPM. At highway speeds you're looking at about 1,500-2,000 RPM more than the 1100/1200. On long rides the extra vibration becomes tedious. You can also rule out trying to use bike-to-bike communicators and you better have good speakers in your helmet to listen to tunes over the hum. Stators have been known to be a problem.

Here are some links I used when considering buying my Silverwing:

The Good, Bad and Ugly
http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cx500/good_&_bad/

Other rider reviews
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=4203
Silverwing Forum
http://www.bikez.com/msgboard/msg.php?id=19395&type=bike

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
imported post

I had one (a 1981) for two years and WPGFIRE's description is very good. The only thing I would add is that they are a little more top heavy (because of the V-twin engine) than GW's. It makes them a little more difficult for novices at very slow speeds, and at a stop. I liked mine, but moved to a GW pretty fast after having a lot of fun on my Silverwing.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

Is this to be a standard version, or the Interstate? Both will be top heavy, the Interstate even more so.

My 1st bike, 2 years ago (at age 45), was an '82 Silverwing Interstate. Not the best bike to learn on, but I did fine. Never could get it upright by myself, always had to have help (have dropped it 4 times in 2 years). However, my '79 GL1000, with Vetter fairing, I can get upright all by myself...can't figure that one out.

My silverwing doesn't like speeds above 60, and really hates passing semi's. Other than that it's a great bike that's nearly as indestructible as the Goldwing.

You might also want to check out this forum:

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks guys for the comments. the wife is only 5'2" and most people think they are top heavy I don't know how she will hold it up. I'm 6'6" and have a little trouble with the 1100 . she was wanting something bigger then the Vento 250 that she has. she will not ride behind me.2 up. We are going to Knoxville to let her try it out on Saturday. take care.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

carvin112 wrote:
thanks guys for the comments. the wife is only 5'2" and most people think they are top heavy I don't know how she will hold it up. I'm 6'6" and have a little trouble with the 1100 . she was wanting something bigger then the Vento 250 that she has. she will not ride behind me.2 up. We are going to Knoxville to let her try it out on Saturday. take care.
How about the NEW Silver Wing scooter!

Attachments

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

How about a little Honda VF700 Magna. It's lightweight & fast enough to keep up with a wing. There's one on eBay now, in SC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Silverwing Scooter!? My son just about puke's every time he sees one or I mention it! His complaint is not with the scooter but with the name. He suggests that when Honda re-introduces the "Goldwing" name in 2100, after it's been laid to rest for 50 years, by sticking the name plate on a Trail 50 Hybrid, all former Goldwing owners will flip in their graves and then spend eternity haunting the Honda brass that allowed such sacrilege. And that's his "G"-rated version of how he really feels! :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I like Hondas but the Silverwing scooter can't hold a candle to the Suzuki Burgman.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Here is a site dedicated to CX -GL's, that might be of interest.

www.cx-gl.org.uk

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I had an 83 Silverwing GL650. It was a good bike. I think the stator was going as it had a weird power drain, but it looked nice and had the removable side packs. It did seem a little high riding, but no problem if you have long legs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.