Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking at getting back into cruising after many years. (Amazing what kids will do to an old passsion) Last bike owned, was a dressed (Vetter & Krauser bagged..., ya, I'm old) 1979 Wing. Not looking for new, as I am looking at retirement shortly, but what year of Wing would give me the best, trouble free, for two up ridingfor a couple of years. Any & all info would be appreciated, however biased... Thanx, maak...

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Maak. We're all a little biased here, I prefer the 1200's but am looking at a six. You may want to browse the "Buying a used Wing" section, or the section on Goldwing History while waiting for some more replies. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Maak.. I'm probably as old as you are and have a 1986 GL1200.. It's perfect for me at my age.. I am planning on a new wing when Honda is finished with the 1800 line.. I heard they are coming out with a 2000 cc model in a couple of years, and that's about when I'm retiring from the rat race.. I have had a 1500 - 6, and didn't like it..However, like Shooter said, we're all biased on our opinions of what is the right Goldwing for anyone. Let the forum give you as much information as possible before making your decision.

Remember, the older the bike, the higher the replacement part cost is. My riding buddy just sold his 84 Aspy for $3000 US, and it was for sale for just one day. However, a starter was needed and it cost him $224 to replace it..

Depending on how much riding you do, I would suggest making friends with Goldwingers in your area and talk to them also. There is a wealth of information out there about these bikes. Good luck and please keep us up to date on what you are doing as time goes by.. Renegade

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

MAAK: kinda depends on what you're willing to spend, but especially for two-up riding, my recommendation would be a GL1500 SE between the years of 1992-1995.You can get a1500 of that vintagefor very reasonable cost (under $6.5K), they have plenty of power fortwo-up ridingWITH room for gear, are the most comfortable (and dependable) riding Goldwings that Honda made -- plus you have (reletively) newer technology and access to parts that most likely will still be easily available from Honda, eBay,or other Goldwing sales boards.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Yep.... a 1200 is the jazziest (IMHO).... and most looks like a motorcycle ... But ... Its starting to be harder to get some parts... as Mother Honda removes them from the shelf..........  But as shooter says... We are all a little biased here......  SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Well Maak, as stated, we all do have our own prefferences. I can tell you though I have had a 85 1200 LTD. (fuel injected) and a 1500 (currently 99). Either machine is a very good touring bike. Some of my observations or opinions.....

The 1200 is a little lighter so to speak on it's tires. The riding position is a little lower than the 1500. My wife prefers the 1500 for the room for the passenger and her seat sits a little higher than on the 1200. (always have to keep there happiness in mind :grinner:) I like the 1500 for the lower torque, and for me it manuevers at low speeds better. I like the balance better on the 1500.

Well I don't know if any of this ramblin helps you :baffled:, but probably if you keep in mind either bike is an excellent machine, and if the price fits your budget, you like the condition and appearance.....Go for it!!:clapper:

Happy trails, Chris

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

The GL1500 would be my preference for a starter Wing. You already had a 4 cylinder Wing so why not try an early 6 cylinder with reverse? Whatever you decide on Mak, safe riding and welcome to the forum. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Can't go wrong with any model Wing, but if you're getting up in to the geezer range (as I am) the 1500 with it's reverse sure comes in handy. If you do your own maintenance it's also a bit simpler than the fours with their four carbs vs the 1500s two. Not to mention the alternator is a lot easier to replace than the stator on the 1200s. I find the 1500 better for riding with the woman who hangs around here than I did with my previous 1200, seems to be a little more room on it. Also more toe room around the shifter. The saddlebags are a LOT more convenient with their hinged lids instead of the 1200's lift off lids. Also the one lock for all three bags is very nice.

I also think the 1200 was a better looking bike than the 1500 but sure like the extra low speed torque of the six cylinders, not nearly as much shifting and the low rpms at highway speeds (3200 @ 70mph) is quiet, and very smooth.

Take your pick though they are all like sex, the worst one is still great!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanx to everyone for the info, I will be looking at takinga motorcycletraining course in the spring, as a refresher, & as long asthe bug doesn't leave me, (have my doubts, as the itch gets stronger each year)I will begin, in earnest, lookingfor a new (used) Wing. I'll probably start looking at the 1500's, but if I see something real nice in the 1200's, I may bite.... Thanx again to everyone.. by the way, this is an excellent forum...maak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.