Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey, Just bought an 81 Goldwing interstae with 38 original miles. The bike is beautiful and I"m super excited about it, what I"m wanting to know is are they known to be good bikes? Iknow how its taken care of matters and this one doesn't leak anything and sounds super tight, the only thing I caught was a quick rattle when the bike is started and then it goes away. I picked this one up for 2800.00....so did I score or did I get burned
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
imported post

The quick rattle could mean carbs need to be synced. 2800 is a little on the high side for our area, but if the bike has been taken care of, serviced and looks as good in person that is does in your pic, I don't think you went wrong. With 38 mileson the odometer, the bike really is not broken in good:cooldevil:. If you didn't get any maintance records with it, change the oil, brake fluid, and timing belts, even though its low milage, the belts are over 20 yo.

Looks like you have a sweet ride!!! Good luck, enjoy and welcome to the forum:waving:


Went back and read the milage:shock: 38 miles.......no, you didn't pay to much!!!!!!:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Cool thank you so much, I was hopin I got a good deal and yeah she looks better in person than the pic. Can't wait to bring her home next week thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
imported post

38 miles?? welcome to the forum. JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'd run the vin number through DMV and have that mileage checked, all previous owners have to state the true mileage of the bike when they title it in their name. My seller claimed my 82 only had just over 23,000 on it when I bought it back in May, 2008. DMV ran the vin for me when I went to title it and it came up as titled at 67,000+ by a previous owner. Speedo had been changed out.

If that's a true 38 miles total for that bike then I'd be changing the timing belts on it real quick and would like to know why it has such low miles for it's age.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
imported post

Thats a sweet ride. You cant kill those engines , Unless you dont change those belts.
Synch the carbs and lube the control cables. May stop that rattle on start up.
When you go deep you can even adjust the valve clearance.

Happy riding
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
imported post

I can't believe it only has 38 miles, but hey, it happens. If the mileageis accurate I would consider it a mixed blessing, low mileage is a great score, but it also means that that bike has been doing a lot of sitting.

As stated before, I would check the mileage with the DMV, and if it's accurate go through it with a with a fine tooth comb, an don't stop smiling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!!!

I realize you're not resurrecting an old wing, but 38 miles tells me you've bought yourself a garage queen, and alot of the same rules apply, so I'm going to point you toward a little writeup I did and hope that you'll take the advice and do some inspecting.

Great looking bike by the way, and I'll give you $2801 for it. ;)

Click Here To Read Article On Old Wings
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I'd run the vin number through DMV and have that mileage checked, all previous owners have to state the true mileage of the bike when they title it in their name.
Maybe in your state. In WA they get a mileage disclosureexemption after the vehicle is 10 years old. Not sure about CA. In addition, with only 38 miles, this was probably the original owner, so there wouldn't have been more than one title issued previously. I would certainly be curious about the history though.

Welcome to the site Raymeand congrats on your new Wing! :)

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
120 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a nice bike to have found . I have a 1982 and i love it. Mine had 34 k when i bought it in May of 08. Now it has 42K and i have not had an ounce of trouble with it. i just try to keep up with oil change and filter on time... good luck with the bike. Dave



Rayme wrote:
Hey, Just bought an 81 Goldwing interstae with 38 original miles. The bike is beautiful and I"m super excited about it, what I"m wanting to know is are they known to be good bikes? Iknow how its taken care of matters and this one doesn't leak anything and sounds super tight, the only thing I caught was a quick rattle when the bike is started and then it goes away. I picked this one up for 2800.00....so did I score or did I get burned
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard. I love my 82. Not sure I would trade up even if I got an offer. Definately agree on timing belts. It would be a shame if they broke and messed up that "brand new motor"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Welcome to the forum!!!

I realize you're not resurrecting an old wing, but 38 miles tells me you've bought yourself a garage queen, and alot of the same rules apply, so I'm going to point you toward a little writeup I did and hope that you'll take the advice and do some inspecting.

Great looking bike by the way, and I'll give you $2801 for it. ;)

Click Here To Read Article On Old Wings
$2802!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
imported post

Hello Welcome and congrats on such a lucky find I would not be surprised at all that was the correct mileage.
My first one had only 8400 miles .
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top