Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ...Iam. New and in need of advise .. Possibly buying my first goldwing tomarrow .. Its a 94 se .. One owner ..17k miles .. Just had ..full fluids service ..new tires ..fork seals..never been in rain ..always garaged indoors under a cover .. The nice 78 year young gentalmen thats selling bike is very caring of his bike ..he orderd from honda in 93..looks like a museum piece...This is bike is what iam looking for question being a 94 with 17k miles should i be concerned with any big issues ? If so what? And he has a value of 7k on it ? .. Thanks to all..

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Others will fill you in on aged tires, timing belts that may have never been changed, (those are interference engines, so if one breaks, you are going to have internal damage) and of course making sure the brake/clutch fluid and antifreeze has been attended to.

That is the year the transmission got an update I think.

Sounds like an exceptional GL if it seems to run like it looks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
The price might be a tad bit high, depends on your location and what other bikes are selling for.

Average is around $4500 now and some are lower, depends on condition.

So, do a look on Craigslist or Trade mags to see what the local price range is.

KBB for that bike today is
Your 1994 Honda GL1500SE2
$5,150
In Good Condition with typical mileage

·
Registered
736 Posts
Welcome and congrats on finding a "mint" condition 1500. We all want the best bang for our dollar; however, where you live and what is available most often dictates what you pay for things. I know because living on Vancouver Island is a very small motorcycle market, and when a bike comes on the market that you want and there are not a lot of them, you can pay a premium for it.

It is a used bike and as such, warranty is generally 30/30. 30 feet or 30 seconds; however, with the 1500 it is quite bullet proof. Was concerned about carbs, and maintenance when I bought mine with 155,000 Kms on it, but it has proven to be a very reliable touring and daily rider. I did the usual maintenance, some accessory upgrades for myself - had no other reason to do, and upgraded the suspension. This has kept the cost down.

You may be able to find one that is less expensive to start, but with all older used bikes you never know what is under the hood until you get it home. You can easily spend $2K on these bikes with tires, brake parts, fluid changes, suspension bits, and such.

Does the bike have any aftermarket electrical additions, if not great, if so, ask to see how these were installed. Wiring issues can be a challenge.

If this is the bike you want, and it has been cared for as you say, negotiate the price, but I'd speculate that this gentleman is looking at the $6500.00 USD range. Any less he will probably say no thank you. If it is what you want, in your price range, and you can buy and ride, go for it. You can always shop around, spend a lot of time and energy doing so, and return to the same starting point, happens all the time. You can shop around and return, and it's gone, damn let that one get away.

Long rant, but the bottom line is, do you like the bike, do you have a warm and fuzzy feeling that all should be well, and it fits your budget, ask what his bottom line is - he'll tell you, buy and ride. Remember it is a 26 year old bike.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
The bike is way over priced. You can get a nice 1800 for 7K. A 94 1500 is old, other things can go wrong, from age. Timing belts must be changed, the bike has several vacuum lines that could and will dry out and cruise problems. When the rear tire was changed was the drive shaft pulled and greased? Low miles is always a good thing. But if you really want it I would offer him $4000 top dollar and even that is over priced. And another thing, most shopss will not work on a bike tthat old, so find out where he had it serviced or did he do it himself. so unless your able to do any work on your own that is another thing to consider

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I would want to take the Gold Wing for a test ride if you are seriously considering this bike. Checking for any hesitation due to bike sitting up for long periods of time. Be sure brakes work well, with no hangup. The 97 was the year that got the Valkrie transmission when it came out. If it runs well the only other thing I might be concerned with is the alternator. They weren`t the best in those years of 1500s. Hope the one you are looking at does NOT have a heel\toe shifter. 7k is pretty steep for a 94 S.E. You could get a nice 1800 for that money.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I should also add that recent cam belt change is very important.
gumbyred

·
Registered
606 Posts
A bike is worth what you are willing to pay for it, not what someone else says it is.
Like others have said, location makes a lot of difference, but deals are out there.
Here in DFW, Texas, there are a lot of bikes and so the market price is low. Great if you're buying, not so much for selling.
I have a great '96SE, (with LOTS of extras and a little over 55k) that I'm hoping I can get $4000 for.
I just bought an '03 with 40k miles. It has just about every extra, LED lights, wired for Gerbig (included a coat & gloves), custom graphic paint AND an '03 Bushtec trailer.
It was $6000 for the complete package.

Bike & trailer - sm.jpg

If this bike "makes your heart sing", get it or regret it. If not, keep looking around to find the right one.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Nothing has been said about your age or riding experience. If you are a low experience rider I wouldn't recommend the 1800 over the 1500 because the engine is so responsive it can get you in trouble in a heart beat. The power of the 1500 is so smooth and easy to use it makes the bike a genuine pleasure to ride.

As far as the possible work that it might need, I suggest that you ask the seller if he has records of the maintenance he's had done while he had it. If he is as protective of it as you say, if I were a betting man, I'd bet he has them all stashed away. If so, ask about the age of the tires, the age of the timing belts, etc. It might prevent doing some routine maintenance things that aren't really needed.

My second 1500 was previously owned by men who were both older than myself. One in his 80s when he sold it, the other in his late 70s, so I didn't figure it had been abused too much. I bought it with 46,000 miles. When I got rid of it, it had almost 162,000 miles.

If he doesn't have maint. records and you buy it, take it to a dealer and have a "Major" done on it. They will check and service all bearings, belts, brakes, functionality of the whole bike. It may cost close to $1000, but you don't have to think about whether something is going to malfunction while you go down the road.

I am 78 years old and have been riding since I was 10 years old. My two 1500s were my favorites for soooo many reasons. I could ride it 'till it ran out of gas, fill it up and go again. I've ridden 1800s of others. They are fine and fun, but not as comfortable as the 1500s.

Take your time. Find the one you like. Ride Much! Ride Safe!!
Be blessed, DT
Redeemed Riders #654, Christian Motorcyclists Association, Palestine, TX
DSCF1393.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I see so many people putting down the ride of the 1800, and am going to have to dis agree. After putting 350,000 miles on different 1500s I like the ride of the 1800 better.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Yes, the 1500 GL got the Valkyrie transmission in 1997, but I think there was also an update in 1994. Could be wrong though.

I learned long time ago, it is not so much what you pay, but what you take home. I have seen Wings that I would not haul away for free, including 1800s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts