Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As I cruise CL, ebay and other "for sale" sites, I find myself chasing year, model and features in greater detail. I'm thinking about a checklist or something to help the purchase process. Usage model, physical parameters and risk factors on private sales over long distances.

Now, of course, I wonder if this has already been done?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

If the your final 'chosen child' happens to be far far away, please do make sure that a forum member can inspect it and ride it to be sure it is as represented.

If you can't do that, keep looking.

I bought my current bike 3,000 miles from home, flew down and picked it up. But it was personally known by two forum members and both agreed the PO was anal about keeping it pristine. And it was.

W/o that kind of information, I would have not even bothered looking at a bike so far from me.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I have a great 1998 1500 for sale!!!

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

abqGreenSide wrote:
As I cruise CL, ebay and other "for sale" sites, I find myself chasing year, model and features in greater detail. I'm thinking about a checklist or something to help the purchase process. Usage model, physical parameters and risk factors on private sales over long distances.
I must be out of the loop. What are usage model and physical parameters on buying a used bike.:?

GW's are tourers and weigh about 800 lbs.:)

JD

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

@DriverRider

Usage Model would be how often one plans, and or can, use the ride. My job keeps me very busy and being a single dad I'm often not able to go on day drives (something we in New Mexico are set for). Not wise to spend big $$ if you can only use the ride to it's potential a couple times a year... Make sense?

You're comment on weight is on the mark. Hence possibly buying a trike, furthermore does the trike need to have reverse. I also feel the mass centroid plays a big role. I straddled a friends ultra classic that had been lowered and it felt much easier to "hold" up. For lack of a better term.

Not sure what "out of the loop" would mean. Just my perspective.

Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Its a big decision alright ,physically and financially so you're right to tread carefully and you have started in the right place right here. Also it will depend on which wing fits you best . For instance I'm quite tall at 6ft 4in and I'm more comfortable on the GL1500 but thats just me ,have you tried any out for size ? do you have any experience on a bg tourer ? maybe there are some forum members in your area or at least close enough to help point you in the right direction. When you do get sorted with a ride remember keep the rubber side down and ride safe and proud :action:

Eric

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

When I bought my bike, it was 900 miles away. It wasn't well represented. He stretched the truth a bit.

The tires were almost worn out but he called it about half life left.

He said it ran fine on his last trip. When I picked it up there was air in the brake lines, which tells me that it must have sat for a long time since the last time it ran. So the fact that it ran fine on his last trip was meaningless.

It had a terrible hesitation that turned out to be the carbs.

The paint was overall in good shape, but there were a couple scratches that I couldn't see in the pictures. But as it turns out, the pictures he provided were old. They were taken in front of the house, but not in front of his house. The pictures he used to advertise were taken by the previous owner to him.

He told me it had just had it's maintenance 1500 miles ago.

When he advertised the bike, he put 54,000 miles in the ad. Now I assumed right from the start that he was just rounding off. So when I bought it, he corrected it and made sure to tell me the exact mileage. It was 54,053. So he apologized and said that he must have put a few more miles on the bike on his last trip than he thought he did. I found that very odd.

I had him send me the title ahead before I went down and picked it up. I got my plates and carried them down with me. When I looked at the title he sent me, he bought the bike a year and a half earlier, and the bike had 53986. So intheyear and a half he owned it, he put 67 miles on the bike.

I found the bike for about $1000less than what I was looking at bikes around here that were similarly equipped and in similar shape (the shape I thought I was getting.) So I thought I was getting a really good deal. In the end I still think I got a fair deal. It cost me about that much to get it back into shape. I could have got the same deal if I had just bought a bike around here.

If there is a next time, I will definately enlist some help.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

@Wofman
I understand completely. I bought a boat off ebay once and had a similar experience. This is a systemic problem, while not true for everyone, there is often a great lack of integrity in our country.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

If you are only going on 2 or 3 rides a year, would it be better to rent a bike ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.