Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I just ordered a spiffy new chrome master cylinder, it apears to be of one piece construction. all metal. No plastic reservoir to age and leak. And it's shiny...I liek shiny. But mostly it's new and should be problem free.

Also orderd new brake pads. A new set of mirrors. Just like the ones I have, only not broken!

And I ordered a stator cover gasket.

And now I'm broke again!

Once I sell a few more parts I'll order a stator.

Then all I'll have to buy it paint.

Whew big day. If things go well I'll have the Wing on the road soon. If the shipping on all the stuff I just bought is farily quick maybe even by next weekend!!!

Feels good to know that i will get to ride this year.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

It also feels good to have helped a fellow Winger get his Bike sorted. I talked to Inspector54 on the phone and he said finding my listing was "like a dream come true". He said he'd been looking for side covers for his bike for what seemed like forever.

The parts will be shipped first thing tomorrow. And should arrive by Monday.

Here's a wish for many many miles of safe happy riding for everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

I'm curious to know where you ordered this master cylinder reservoir in chrome??? I sure hope it's not just a cover for your current plastic master cylinder reservoir. I know they get aged and cracked and weathered looking but you can buy brand new ones from M.C Distributing in Canada. I know because we got one for my Hubby's '82 Aspencade last summer. They were cheap too. Hope the chrome one turns out to be ok. Post a picture when you get it or let us know where you got it. I'm always on the lookout for more motorcycle sources for the older bikes.

Jen:waving:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

eBay, It's not just the reservoir. It's the entire master cylinder. Here is the Listing.

I would have spent pretty close to the same amount buying a new reservoir and a rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

O I see. I've seen that one before and it looks like the one for newer Honda Shadows like on my Shadow. But if they say it fits GL1100 then it sure is cool.

I only spent $29 for a new plastic reservoir and that came with the rebuild kit for my Hubby's GL1100. (Employee pricing) ;)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

sure is pretty

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Broke, glad to see you are close to having your wing back in riding order. Been too long there. :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Broke, do me a favor, when you get that MC in place and working, let me know how well it works. I've been looking at those for awhile now, but haven't heard from anyone on if they're any good.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Sure will Mike. The Seller seems like a reasonable guy. I think if it's crap he'll give me a refund, but I'm expecting it to work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Hey Broke
I also would like to know about the master cylinder. I've got an 81 and am going to have to replace the plastic cup and that's $50.00 and if I rebuild at the same time that's another $30.00. Like you said in your post all brand new and it looks like a lot of good feedback from the seller.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm another one that needs a new reservoir. This would be a whole better, just make sure it has the contacts and switch for the brake lights.

Never mind, I see the contacts and switch in the pics right on the bottom where it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Does that shiny master come with a shiny bike. I am affradi that this will be the only thing shiny and shiny parts are enticing to thieves.

Thats why i refuse to go bald and have my head become shiny.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well the man in the brown truck just left. I have the master cylinder in hand.

It is indeed one peice construction. It's a sand cast part and the interior is milled. No more plastic reservoir to age crack look like crap and leak. Being a sand cast part the chrome finish leaves a little to be desired. It's nice and shiny just not very smooth. I like the way the rubber seal/diaphragm under the lit is made very much. The sight glass in the side looks like it will make it very easy to monitor the fluid level. Obviously I have not installed it yet and I need to get to my garage to my tools in order to dismantle it o get a look at the inner workings.

It did arrive with a blemish in the lever's finish, a rather nasty one. I will contact the seller to see if he will send me a replacement lever. I really don't want to send it back because I'd be sitting and waiting again.

Other than the blemish in the lever I'm quite happy with it so far.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I went and looked at his site and not only does he have that shiney chrome one but a non chrome one that would have to be either painted or could be I guess powder coated for $20.00 bucks less than the one you bought....The other one does come with a chrome handle also.... Good information if this one works out for you ..Might be a good site to put a sticky in Parts for Old wings section.....Now if they would just do a rear master cylinder????.............

Claude.....

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I may use the old lever...looks like they are the same, that way it will still match the clutch lever. Or I may try to buy a chrone clutch lever. Don't know until I decide.

I'm just eager to get this thing installed now and see how it works. keep yer fingers crossed 'm hoping that it wll work well and my brake troubles will be over!

Better be. Brand new master cylinder. Rebuilt all three calipers, new pads. new fluid. If I have trouble out of them now I;m just gonna get me a boat anchor to drop.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Here is the message I sent the seller regarding the master cylinder, and below that is his response.

I recieved the master cylinder less than an hour ago. It looks great and seems like it will work quite well. However there is a bad spot in the chrome on the lever. As well as a few scratches. If you will provide me with an email address I will take pictures and send them to you. I don't really want to send it back and have to wait for it to get to you then wait for antoher one to get here. Over all I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't installed it yet and I want to wait to see how well it works so I can leave detailed feedback. The spot in the chrome; it looks as though there was something on the lever when it was plated, and there is now a ***** in the chrome. It's a small spot but very noticable. I guess at this point I'm just wondering what you are willing to do about it. As I said I'm not real enthused about having to send it back and wait.

I'm sure we can come to a mutually satisfactory resolution.

His response.

"Hi, I can't apologize enough for the inconvenience this may have caused you, you don't have to send anything back nor pictures to no where, I trust your word and will give you the best customer service you ever have received, just let me know if you would like me to send a new lever, it's just on the lever the problem? , a refund?, a complete new master cylinder?, it's your call, just advise please. Sincerely. Rob"

Well that b1tch at Sabersuckle could sure learn something from this guy! I am not going to take advantage of him, I'm just going to ask him to send me another lever. I'll go ahead and installit as is for now and just change out the lever when the good one gets here. If he wants I will send him the blemished on back at that point. This is the kind of service we should be able to expect. I will be adding him to my favorite sellers list for sure!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Totally awesome and deserves our mentioning his name "out there".

When you reply to him, drop him a link to this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.