Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When buying/selling a motorcycle what is standard etiquette?

Right now a guy is interested in one of my motorcycles. Granted he hadn't seen it yet other than pictures that I have sent. It almost seems like he's expecting to buy a newbike from his questions. I'm sure he justwantsto know what condition it is in. We've exchanged emails and probably going to arrange for him to see the bike.

Does one let a stranger take it on a test ride? Do you request/demand that cash is in hand before he goes? Do you make sure he has an endorsement? What if he drops it? How much should he be allowed to poke and prod. I have nothing to hide, but what is excessive?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Its your bike. You can set whatever rules you want. Of course, he may not like them, but like any business arrangement it needs to work for both parties.

Protect your investment. If he doesnt want to buy it, or if he is likely to drop it, you will suffer by having a damaged bike.

Hopefully he will respect your wishes, and understand that your concern is what kept the bike in that condition to begin with.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Like UbarW says, it's your bike, and you set the rules. I sold one recently and they was no way I let the prospective buyer jump on and ride it. I offered to take him for a spin, but he declined, so i drove the bike up and down the street in front of him and his wife. The best I could do was show them a drive past quite quickly and also slow speed. However, if the guy seems very genuine and brought his partner along and she stayed at your house with your wife/ partner, you might give him a short spin if he has cover for insurance. When I sell something, I always shake hands with the promise that I will refund the money if the person returns dissatisfied within a couple of days. This usually instills confidence in your purchacer andI have never had to refund yet. Remember to walk away and give the buyer breathing space to talk it over if he/ she comes with someone, again, this will show that you are confident in the bikes abillity to sell itself. Never appear desperate to sell, you will just get silly offers, always stay relaxed and in control of the sale. it is up to you to prove by saledmanship, that the buyer is getting more than his moneys worth.

Pete

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

When I bought my GW, I looked the bike over closely, then had the owner drive it down the street and back for me to see. I thought it was only fair, since at the time I hadn'trode a big bike in several years and since the last time I rode one they changed the law and started requiring MC license. Once I paid for it, me and my friend came over and I drove it home.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I will only let someone with a valid endorsement test-ride it, and before hand, I'll take down all of their driver's license info, and have them sign a form something like this:

I______________ agree that any and all injury to myself or others, damage to the vehicle described herein, or damage to property of any other person or entity which occurs while I am in control of said motor vehicle is entirely my responsability, both financially and / or legally. I further agree to hold harmless the owner of said motor vehicle for any and all defects in said motor vehicle, known or unknown,which may lead to my injury or death, EVEN IF SAID DEFECTS ARE THE CAUSE OF NEGLIGENCE OR INCOMPETENCE of the owner to properly maintain the motor vehicle.

Motor Vehicle I will be test-riding (driving):

Make: Model: Year: Licence Plate Number:

My Personal information:

Drivers Licence number:

Expiration:

Address:

Signature:__________________________________ Date:______________

Owner's Signature:____________________________

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
I will only let someone with a valid endorsement test-ride it, and before hand, I'll take down all of their driver's license info, and have them sign a form something like this:

I______________ agree that any and all injury to myself or others, damage to the vehicle described herein, or damage to property of any other person or entity which occurs while I am in control of said motor vehicle is entirely my responsability, both financially and / or legally. I further agree to hold harmless the owner of said motor vehicle for any and all defects in said motor vehicle, known or unknown,which may lead to my injury or death, EVEN IF SAID DEFECTS ARE THE CAUSE OF NEGLIGENCE OR INCOMPETENCE of the owner to properly maintain the motor vehicle.

Motor Vehicle I will be test-riding (driving):

Make: Model: Year: Licence Plate Number:

My Personal information:

Drivers Licence number:

Expiration:

Address:

Signature:__________________________________ Date:______________

Owner's Signature:____________________________

Phil,

With all due respect to you asa fellow Winger, were you to hand me that form I would crumple it and walk off.

This one disclaimer is, in my opinion, totally uncalled for and raises serious questions about whatever the item it is which you are selling.
EVEN IF SAID DEFECTS ARE THE CAUSE OF NEGLIGENCE OR INCOMPETENCE of the owner to properly maintain the motor vehicle.
There is nothing unreasonable in assuming that the item you are contemplating is in a reasonable condition to be safely applied toit's acknowledged functionality. As the seller, when you are asked can it be ridden and you respond in the positive, as you are ina position to reasonably know of any untoward indications to the contrary irrespective of any disclaimers you may seek toimpose.

I am fairly confident that if a person signed your disclaimer and was subsequently injured secondary to your negligence or incompetence, legal action could still be taken against you even if you had a mile of signed disclaimers. And frankly that is as it should be.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually Brojees I don't think it should be that way. If a person accepts the risk inherent in the operation of a vehicle and the wheels fall off through a cause unknown by the seller, too bad. It should be up to the operator of the vehicle to determine if it's safe to operate. Now fraud on the part of the seller, that would be different. If the seller knows of a fault that makes the machine dangerous and lies about it or witholds that knowledge then he should be liable. Unfortunately in the US our civil laws are all construed to maximize incomefor lawyers.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Ken Tripp wrote:
When buying/selling a motorcycle what is standard etiquette?

Does one let a stranger take it on a test ride? Do you request/demand that cash is in hand before he goes? Do you make sure he has an endorsement? What if he drops it? How much should he be allowed to poke and prod. I have nothing to hide, but what is excessive?
Hey Ken Tripp :waving:To answer your questions in brief :shakehead:

(1) No Test Ride. :shakehead:(2) Cash in your hand when sale complete. :clapper:(3) Allow him to prod as much as he wishes, but dont damage your bike. :gunhead:

The other questions do not apply. :shakehead:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I can see where I will not be buying used motorcycles from quite a few. If I cannot ride the bike, I most certainly will not buy it period.

I will of course accept full responsibility for all damages that I might cause during my test drive. And I am perfectly willing to put up an in full deposit, but bottom line I Ride before I Buy. And if damage occurs which is clearly the responsibility of the owner, hypothetically say he just changed the oil and left the plug loose and it falls out....Well that is his problem. Should the spilling oil cause me to skid, fall and be injured...Once again, that is his problem.

And I truly cannot accept that anyone would settle for any less.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Brojees...If I cannot ride the bike I won't buy the bike... I have bought a used bike from somebody I didn't know but DA BOSS was with me and stayed behind... If I where to come alone I don't think he would have let me without some sort of a deposit...

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I just recently went thru this scenero, when I bought my first wing about 6 weeks ago.

I looked at about 6 bikes and rode none of them--because I had been away from biking for some time and this was far bigger than I had been used to riding. Frankly, I felt quite intimidated by the bike, and I was not sure that riding one would actually prove anything since I was dead green to them anyway. So I asked each guy to give me a demo ridepast while I watched and listened. I could tell quite a bit by that-perhaps even more than by riding them. A seasoned and experienced wing rider would be different. All the sellers were happy to demo for me, and the one whose bike I finally bought, offered me the opportunity to ride it. I declined.

I can certainly understand a sellers concern--how will he know that the buyer is a competent rider?? Many may be more cocky than I was and take the chance if available. Now, after having gotten some experience, I would want to ride, but how could I show the seller that I am capable??

Tough issue.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I know of a case here in Kansas where a seller let a potential buyer test ride the bike. The buyer ended up dropping the bike and doing quite a bit of damage to himself and the bike.

The buyer sued the seller for medical bills and pain and suffering and won because the buyer, which had been riding motorcycles for many years, did not have a motorcycle endorsement. In short, the seller let an "un-licensed" rider ride his bike and bodily injury resulted.

He was out several thousand dollars for the case and also had a tore up bike. There is no way in hell that someone is going to ride a bike that I am selling unless

1. They have the proper m-cycle endorsement

2. They sign something releasing me from liability

3. I have cash in hand just in case they take off.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I sold my Yamaha last year. The guy I ended up selling to has no experience, only the local community college riding course. I was not about to let him ride my 1100 so I took him for a test ride. He ended up buying the bike and I even delivered to his house after payment had been make. :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Dont take any notice of Brojees and DigbyODell :stumped: Anyone in their right mind would not allow a total strangerto test ride their wings. :whip: I only get the use of my neighbours :18red:because he knows me for many many years and have being riding m/cycles since i was 17yrs old. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Dont take any notice of Brojees and DigbyODell :stumped: Anyone in their right mind would not allow a total strangerto test ride their wings. :whip: I only get the use of my neighbours :18red:because he knows me for many many years and have being riding m/cycles since i was 17yrs old. :clapper:
Was your first bike a Penny Farthing or a safety bike?

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

If you noticed I said Da Boss was with me and stayed behind as I test drove....other wise I wouldn't think he would just let me take off on his bike:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Redwing wrote:
He's so old, is first ride was on a dinosaur with training wheels fitted.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
exavid wrote:

Ah well if you guys are lucky you might reach my old age. :crying:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
1984GL1200A wrote:
exavid wrote:

Ah well if you guys are lucky you might reach my old age. :crying:
Too true!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.