Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know in some states that texting on a cell phone is illegal while driving. I had an incident while while I was going down the interstate and a person in the car in the next was texting and starting to drift into my lane. I honked and moved into the outer lane (luckily was empty). If I were in a car I would have called the state patrol asap and reported it. Just wondering what I should do about it? It is illegal here in Wisconsin to text while you are driving.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Put your boot through her car door whilst hitting the air horns and throttle.

Yes it is illegal here, it should be illegal everywhere, but the addicts still keep right on texting and they get really angry when you yell at them or give them the sign to "get off the phone and drive".

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

A couple of days a go we had a girl pass us (we were doing about 70) putting on eye makeup.
seriously, eye makeup!
Drifting all over the road.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

Just drove from Seattle to Spokane today in our RV and towing our car...65` total length. Saw at least 6 people on the freeways...some in rush hour...texting with both hands while moving along in traffic at or above the posted speed limit. Not even a finger on the wheel...0...nata . nothing!!

Terrible multi vehicle accident on I-90 westbound just before 405 in Seattle this am about 9 or so......texting maybe???

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

What can you do? Police are not going to respond, I think the law is extremely difficult to enforce and that is what will open the door for them to totally outlaw phones in the car. First thing I always do when passing someone either on the left or right is make sure the lane opposite me is empty if more than 2 lanes. If it is not empty I hang back until it is. Then when I do pass I eyeball the driver out of the corner of my eye to see what they are doing, if they have a phone in their hand I am out of there. I am not waiting around to see if they are paying attention or not. If two lane I just make sure I can get completely past them prior to me passing and then just get on past them. I was passing a tractor trailer last year on the left side and he just cut on over on me, I had to ride down the grooves they cut in the side of the shoulder. He saw me when he was about 3/4 into my lane and jerked it back over. I just don't waste time getting by these people. I just anticipate what they might do and be ready for it.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

84GoldWinger wrote
"I just anticipate what they might do and be ready for it."
I have seen many things in my life while driving. We all have. Now what I consider bad news are cops. I have seen them on their phones while fiddling around on the laptops in their cars. While driving.
When passing a vehicle, especially an 18 wheeler, I get around them as quickly as possible and always have an exit strategy...

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

As said earlier, enforcement is the thing. You can laws to up the wazoo but if there isn't anybody around to enforce them then it's always going to be an "after-the-fact" situation.

It's illegal over here too, with a fine of € 180 ( $250) if you get caught. Plenty of people take the risk coz the chance of being caught is minimal.

It's the way of the world, unfortunately. I'm not allowed to overtake and drop spikes on the road in front of them and we have different firearm laws over here.

Dave.

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

Over here in Crawford county I see lots of folks pulled over to talk or text on their phones. I guess they get scared of the two lane and all the twists and turns,

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Calling the police will probably be useless as it is your word against the other drivers. In the vast majority of cases where drivers get tickets or go to court for using their phones while driving, the witness is the police officer that caught them in the act. That applies in all countries where it is illegal to use a phone while driving.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I think that Smith & Wesson has the right answer to that problem!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

bwssr wrote:
Just wondering what I should do about it?
What you should do? Ride like you're invisible and if you don't have a horn louder than the stock 1200 horn, get one. The Stebel Nautilus air horn is an excellent choice and can easily be installed inside the fairing on the 1200, right where the stock left horn mounts. Drivers out there are distracted by many things and that's not likely to change, except to get worse, so you must watch out for them, and getting their attention immediately with a good horn could save your life.
Stebel Horn on Stebel's site
Horn install pix on my '86 Aspencade

John

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Nothing tops the guy we saw in California several yaers ago while on vacation. He was driving an old beat up Ford Pinto. As we got closer we could see he was playing the guitar. He had his left leg hanging out the window, along with the neck of the guitar. He was singin' and pickin' and steerin' with his right knee.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Problem is - once you pass the pant-load, you have to either spool it up, and get completely gone, or at least get a couple cages between you and the texting twit. Hopefully ther is room to do this.

Once you pass 'em, it's harder to keep an eye on 'em - and now they can bulldoze you in stop-and-go traffic when they don't know you stopped at a light. I keep an exit plan ready at every stop, and don't knock it out of gear unless I'm comfortable with what I see in my mirrors- and the wait is overly-long.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
imported post

I personally am totally frustrated. I have close to three major accidents this year because of someone on a cell phone and not paying attention. And I mean each time them running a stop sign or a red light. Here is my point:

There is alot of attention on drinking and driving i.e DUI (and there should be) but why are the so called politicians so chicken to pass a NO cell phone usage when driving? I have no doubt there are as many accidents caused by inattention due to cell phone usage as there is by drinking.

Maybe just venting, but it was not that long ago, I was almost nailed on the bike by a women on a cell phone running a stop sign. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

In my province of Alberta, we will have the toughest (and most ridiculous) "distracted driving" law in the world starting this September. Not only will the use of cell phones be banned, but it will include CB radios, iPods, eating, etc. So, taken to the letter of the law, if I am driving down some barren isolated back road and I throw a couple peanuts into my mouth, I am breaking the law.

It's one thing to ban texting and things like that, but what people seem to neglect is that a certain amount of distraction is actually safer. Sipping on coffee or munching on a snack or gabbing on a CB radio while on a long trip will keep you more alert and attentive. Doing nothing while driving only leads to drowsiness and accidents.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

But there lies the problem, where do we draw the line? If it is OK to ban texting or cell phone use then why not eating? Once we start down that slope politicians will not be happy until they have all control over our every action. I for one do not want the government in my car with me and am willing to think for myself and if I see someone doing something I have the option to get away from them. But on the flip side you could say that about drinking and driving. Maybe the better solution is not outlawing it but holding someone accountable for something when their stupidity causes something to someone else. And I do not mean a slap on the wrist actually hold some accountable.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
A couple of days a go we had a girl pass us (we were doing about 70) putting on eye makeup.
seriously, eye makeup!
Drifting all over the road.
I saw a girl do that.. she got on the highway, and drifted left, all the way across 3 lanes of highway, and almost sideswiped the guy in front of me. He had to slam on the brakes & dodge her.
He was a marked NH State Trooper... Needless to say, there were a lot of blue lights all of a sudden... :lash:

Sometimes karma works.. :action:

=dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

They need to invent something in the car that renders cell phones usless while the motor is running......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.