Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:wtf:I think i can handle my big girl pretty damn well at all speeds but this driving test seems near impossible on a 1500 GW. How many Calif. folks have taken the DMV riding test on their Wings? Lots of folks are taking the riding test on smaller bikes and it pi**es me off to no end . A person should only be allowed to test on the bike they will be riding as far as I'm concerned! It's no wonder so many 55 year old Harley and large bike riders are listed in obituaries each month in the news paper around this area. At least 2-4 a month. That encompasses Central calif. from San Francisco to Bakersfield. What do the riding tests in other areas of the world consist of? Thanks!:stumped:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

My son just took the Nevada motorcycle class, they use honda 250 nighthawks and rebels.Some of the things hey do would be tough on a large, heavy bike such as the tight turns and figure eights. I asked the instructors about the advanced rider class and they told me on the first day you have to ride the tight figure eights ONE HANDED and if your tire crosses a line you are sent home and forfeit the fee.
The classs are limited to 14 students yet the two campuses have over 70 bikes. thats where our tax moneys go. they say they will have an auction soon and replace some of the bikes, where watching for a date, my 82 cm250c used to be one of the class bikes from years past but still runs great.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

It was a long time ago, but I passed the California DMV test for Class M on a GL1200 - no problem at all.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

I took mine on my 1100I. I was grinding the pegs hard in the slalom, and really almost did not have enough brakes for the fast stop test. The course would have been nearly impossible on a 1500. Just not enough real estate on the course. I feel like the current test course that is used in SC was designed for the smaller bikes of the early 70s which makes a large dresser a tough task. It doesn't matter I am legal to ride no matter if I rode a 125cc enduro or a 1800 cc dresser. The test really doesn't matter here, you can renew your learners permit indefinitely. I know some guys who have done it for 25 years plus. Jay

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

When I took my driving test in Illinois, my test instructor (a middle aged woman) commented on how big my 1200 was, and I foolishly thought I might get a pass on the test - - - and then she promptly said: "well, some other bikes were big too - let's go - get your bike out on the course"!!! So - out we went and I fully expected to fail the test the first time around...

I aced the test and got my "M" endorsement... :applause:

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

I would suggest you find a friend with a small bike, or if you have to, give a guy with a small bike a couple bucks to borrow his..

You can do the slow stuff but your 1500 will no fit in the circle they use.. Here in Stockton if you just touch a line you fail

The other why to get around the DMV test is to take a safety class.. You pass thatclass, you're in free.. No DMV riding test.........................

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Foodman, I hate to take that safety class but it may come to it! I just want my tester to be a good Goldwing rider so he can show me how to do it better if I don't pass ! ha!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

Hello Jeffy, I did the ride test on my 49 panhead that had a foot clutch jockey shift, not hard. I also rode the same coarse, On my aspencade, at the "old" clovis dmv when they still had all the marks on the ground. You should go after hours and do some practice runs on it. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

My wife took the saftey course, and got her licence no problem. They used 250`s for the course. I was a bit nosey, and watched some of the things they had to do. I attempted this several times and failed. (I couldnt stay inside the lines). Then one of the instructors showed me the technique to figure 8`s in super tight spaces. I have been working on them now for most of the summer and have gotten pretty good at them. Slow speed cornering skills are a must for any rider. Practice makes perfect! I can now turn figure 8`s in only 4 parking spaces, and stay inside the lines doing it. I agree that one who is testing should ride the bike they intend to use everyday. However, how does one learn the skills if they are not allowed to ride? Catch 22. Taking the saftey course may be the solution....

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

There is something wrong.:shock:
I can after passing my road test in my Toyota Corolla and never having driven anything bigger get a 40+foot motor-home and as long as it doesn't have air brakes legally drive it.

The same goes for motorcycles, if I take my test on a 100cc bike and pass I can legally herd the biggest bike money can buy through the streets.

I have heard that if I take my bike test here on an under 250cc motorcycle I can't carry a passenger but I can still ride the biggest street legal bike made.:?

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

When I went to 'Truck Driving School' they made a point:

The school teaches you how to pass the driving tests….

You'll learn how to drive out on the road.

I think the same thing applies to the California DMV…. it's best to take the test with a smaller, more manageable bike.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
When I went to 'Truck Driving School' they made a point:

The school teaches you how to pass the driving tests….

You'll learn how to drive out on the road.
That is really really scary but explains a lot.:shock:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I had a 750 automatic when they first instituted the m/c driving test. The first part of the test was to stall the bike in gear and then start it using the kick starter. When I explained that: (a) it was an automatic and couldn't be stalled, and (b) the kick starter was stored under the seat, the examiner just signed my papers and walked away.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
imported post

I had already been riding quite a while when CA decided M/C riders should be licensed, so doing the test on my CB160 was just a formality, but I rememberthe coursewas pretty tight.

What I found funny was, when I moved to Oregon, they would honor my car license, but not the CA M/C license. I had to take their test, which literally was to drive the bike around the block. If you made it back, you passed.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The CA test has a very tight circle which you have to go round 2 full times. I already had my m/c for years when I went to get my CA license, so only had to do the written part(3 times from the miss worded answers, has to have the exact correct words). When a friend from church said he was having a hard time on his 1500 doing the circle and failing, I stopped after hours and tried it a dozen times, and failed myself, found myself going outside the lines after first complete circle, no gas added. Someone said or wrote to turn down the idle speed to do it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
.... When a friend from church said he was having a hard time on his 1500 doing the circle and failing, I stopped after hours and tried it a dozen times, and failed myself, found myself going outside the lines after first complete circle, no gas added. Someone said or wrote to turn down the idle speed to do it.
Put her in 2nd, work the friction zone and rear brake to modulate speed, look way over your shoulder in the direction of the turn and practice, practice, practice.

I had not ridden for over ten years when I bought my 1500 and was a bit rusty. Now one of my favorite things is slow speed, amaze your friends with how tight that U-Turn was on that big bike. OR How much peg can I scrape off going roun d and around this round-a-bout

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Maybe 2nd will do the trick. I've seen videos of the slow speed stuff on harleys & bmers, not the 1500s though. Do you know of any videos demonstrating the 1500s? I've been on a 3 1/2 month rideabout the country, will be back to CA tonight so will have to try it out again.
I haven't measured the diameter of the CA test circle. Have you measured the diameter of the circles you are draggin the pegs in thirdcoaster414?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Speaking just for California (not other states)... borrow a smaller bike or take the basic MSF where the bike is provided... like said many times above, the standard CA DMV course is tight.. I wouldn't say impossible but you'll have to be a very skilled and experienced rider to keep a 1500 inside the course lines... But, you might want to just try it.. no harm in that... and tell us what you thinkl.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.