Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Nice to see an official article from the CHP on this subject. Before it was just not illegal if done safely, that left a lot of unknowns up for discussion. I still cannot figure out why the other 49 states have laws against it, it is acceptable in all other countries, and the safest way to ride a bike in heavy traffic when done correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

I was in Italy last August. Talk about lane splitting, wow !

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
France is the same too. Last time I was in Paris I chased 2 mopeds ( piaggio MP3s) through bumper to bumper 5 lane traffic , never did catch'em :)

MW

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I did it all the time when I lived in San Diego. The first time was a little un-nerving but it was much better than sitting in 45 minute traffic just to get over the Coronado Bridge or sitting on 163 waiting for my turn to ride north through Balboa Park.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The information in the link is interesting, and like so many thing in life, something of a fairytale. I've spent lots of time in SoCal traffic and it seems that the vast majority of the lane splitters ignore every point made in the linked document. The bikes in question are mostly sport bikes and Harleys. Almost NEVER a Goldwing or a bike that appears to be ridden by a mature adult.

IMHO in this case it's the majority who ruin it for the prudent minority who would use the tecnique in a safe and courteous manner...and THAT's likely one of the main reasons why the other states have declined to adopt the rule of law that would allow lane splitting.

Not lookin' for a fight...just my observations from years of driving the 405 and other high speed parking lots in La La Land.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Back in my distant youth I spent a couple of years making a living as a London dispatch rider, filtering it was called then, basically just a technique for getting to the front of the queue at lights so you could hoof it to the back of the next queue and start the process all over again, totally illegal and I did smash a good few wing mirrors from cars doing it, but you where not gonna make the afore-said living if you didn't do it.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I have done this my entire life, firstly in England, and every day here in California. I consider sitting in bumper to bumper traffic deadly, never mind the suffering you and the bike get from 120 deg. heat and car exhaust. As soon as you offset yourself from the bumpers you can clearly see every car in two lanes for up to a mile in front and behind you, plus they can see you too. You can also see the entire road surface, and have four lines of escape instead of being stuck blind behind a cage at the mercy of the cage behind you and about to get smashed by the cage to the right of you who decides he wants your spot.

http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);

·
Premium Member
67,822 Posts
It seems lately more drivers are becoming aware of us riding split lane.. I see more drivers making room..

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I did this for the first time about a month ago in L.A. I was a little apprehensive about it at first, but had been caught in traffic for over 2 hours, and had pulled the clutch in so much that my left forearm was in serious pain.... every time I pulled the clutch in I thought I was going to tear something... So out of desperation I began lane splitting.... It got me back to the hotel without any damage to my arm. I
couldn't ride for about a week after that....

As far as the lane splitting goes, it wasn't so bad as long as I used common sense.... Still, it takes some getting used to...

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Personally, the only time I would ever consider it would be to get through rush-hour traffic that was at, or near, a dead stop.

These days, I would never even consider doing it at speed, primarily due to the vast majority of cage drivers now driving distracted (usually cell phone related distraction).

These distracted drivers simply can't be counted on to maintain their lane positions. As such, it's just not as safe as it was years ago before the proliferation of cell phones and other devices which divert the driver's attention away from the road.

For those of you who still do, please be careful of distracted drivers, stay safe and arrive home in one piece!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Lane splitting?...I have been driving and have several crotch rockets come blazing past me at several miles over the speed limit...I'm always very watchful of my traffic around , and behind me, but these guys came up so fast, it was only after they got past me I realized it wasn't guys it was girls!!!...If I had to guess at their speeds I would have to say over 90 mph!!!....And yes they were splitting that lane...

Three weeks after 911, my wife and I were on our way home from an all expense paid four day mini vacation, complements of her boss....Near Houston we came upon this man riding I guess it was one of those dual purpose bikes. he was doing the speed limit in his lane, we stopped for a potty break, a few miles down the road the traffic stopped????...As we got to where all the flashing lights were, under a high four wheel drive pickup was that rider, very dead...Seems that Pickup truck driver pulled over on top of that biker, no where to go...

OK its gross, and the traffic was moving really slow, even after that wreck...Here comes this Rider on his bike, hauling fanny, Splitting the lanes.. This one Idiot in a car, openned his door to get out to see what was still holding up traffic???..That biker hit that car door, throwing him through the door glass, that bike tears that door off the car driver now has a busted leg and hip, the rider, well he didn't make it either...I pulled over gave the police my statement...Never heard anything else from it..But two bikers lost their lives within 100 yards or less of each other....Splitting lanes???...I just don't know if I'm ever in that big of a hurry, I'll get off the freeway find a longer but less congested way home...

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Lane splitting?...
As we got to where all the flashing lights were, under a high four wheel drive pickup was that rider, very dead...Seems that Pickup truck driver pulled over on top of that biker, no where to go...

This one Idiot in a car, openned his door to get out to see what was still holding up traffic???..That biker hit that car door, throwing him through the door glass.....
I hope both of these drivers were arrested for vehicular manslaughter, especially the second one.

Personally I have seen more bike accidents from cages changing lanes and running over a motorcyclist that had nowhere else to go, or more commonly failing to stop and ramming a bike into the rear of another car, plus road debris coming up/out from beneath a cage in front and taking a rider down who is then run over by the following cage.
Splitting lanes will eliminate all of these accidents since the rider has multiple escape options, high visibility, and a clear view of the road and every cage for miles in both directions and both lanes.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Dangerous practice, I see no safety benefit in lane splitting .... they chose to ride the bike in traffic they know will be bumper to bumper and then want the car / truck drivers to not only watch ahead of their vehicle, but to the sides and rear for a fast moving lane splitter.
I don't even like a motorcycle beside me in my lane when I am on a bike, not to mention if I am in a PU or my car.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Dangerous practice, I see no safety benefit in lane splitting .... they chose to ride the bike in traffic they know will be bumper to bumper and then want the car / truck drivers to not only watch ahead of their vehicle, but to the sides and rear for a fast moving lane splitter.
I don't even like a motorcycle beside me in my lane when I am on a bike, not to mention if I am in a PU or my car.
So you think it is a dangerous practice to have another car in the next lane beside you too?

Essentially there is no difference, the bike uses a part of the road that the cages are not using (most of the time) and that makes it safer for him than behind/in front of the cages and at their mercy.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I do some lane splitting once in a while. The thing I notice is that it is better to do it between lane 1 and 2 and also in the morning going to work.

People are not as tolerant on the way home from work and will try to slide over to keep you from getting past. i gave up doing it on the way home.

I also like to get behind someone else so we have sort of a train going past. I dont prefer to be the lead bike when doing this.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I don't get it.....are we in that big a hurry that we can't wait in traffic like everyone else? Are we that important that we don't need to remain within a lane like everyone else, just because we ride 2 wheels instead of 4?
We constantly complain about how cagers don't see us, or don't give us the respect and place on the road that we deserve.....yet we then snub our noses at traffic and drive between the designated lanes past everyone else....do you really think that does anything to improve the general public's opinion of bikes?
I fail to understand how anyone can argue that there is no difference in the safety of being visible within a lane sitting in traffic beside the cager, compared to driving up between lanes where some distracted cager can take us out with a lane change....if the traffic is that heavy that you feel the need to use this tactic, it's probably also that heavy that you will be left with no escape route when that cager makes that lane change right in front of you. We hear about this sort or thing happening everyday...and even about those cagers that are probably doing it intentionally!
Yes...sitting stuck in traffic on a hot day isn't fun...not for anyone...it's part of travel...suck it up.
Lane splitting is not legal in Ontario, Canada and I don't think it should be....that's just my opinion and now I'll get off my soapbox.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I don't get it.....are we in that big a hurry that we can't wait in traffic like everyone else? Are we that important that we don't need to remain within a lane like everyone else, just because we ride 2 wheels instead of 4?
For me, I would sit in traffic and watch the temp gage climb higher and higher. When I saw it in the red, that was when I decided that my air cooled engine needed to get some cooling air. It had nothing to do with me feeling I was more important than others around me but rather everything to do with doing what was best for my bike mechanically.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.